Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by chbartel
the meeting room revenue is no different then when they "upgrade" your room. Have you heard of the $20 "tip trick" to get an upgrade on a hotel room. Lifehacker has a good article on that. When you get your room or check in, you also give the person checking you in an extra $20 and ask if there is any room upgrades available. Magically, there is an upgrade available to you...

If they can maximize revenue, earnt extra, there is no reason they won't do it..
Oh, but it is different. If they are going to be giving status credit for meeting rooms then MR should be concerned if they are just "buying" status at that point. Whereas, a property that is giving upgrades for cash (and who knows if it gets to be reported income) does not really impact MR. Yes, a member might loose out on an upgrade, but those are subject to prior sales anyway.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Oh, but it is different. If they are going to be giving status credit for meeting rooms then MR should be concerned if they are just "buying" status at that point. Whereas, a property that is giving upgrades for cash (and who knows if it gets to be reported income) does not really impact MR. Yes, a member might loose out on an upgrade, but those are subject to prior sales anyway.
Discussed thoroughly in other threads, but in short, you can only use status if you stay. Staying generates revenue and profits for Marriott, so purchased status can't just cost them... it has to be coupled with stays that help them, too. So if they allow people to buy status via meeting time that is nearly 100% profit, it could actually pay twice by boosting stay revenue later when the recipient seeks to utilize the status. Airlines do something similar when they bonus EQMs for high-margin activities such as credit card spending, etc.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by CT1
Which properties get that rate? And does one have to show up for their meeting?

Thanks for your help.
Am I asking for the wrong thing here? I tried to booked 5 meetings so I can get my 10 credits per meeting, here is what the person from Marriott wrote back to me...She states I have to book 10 people in rooms for each of the meetings to get the 10 credits per event??

Hi Craig,

For our meeting space rental we generally charge $200 for a half day. We would be willing to cut that in half for $100 per day you would need to use the space. This is because most meetings start at 8am or earlier, and because you would be utilizing the room from 7:30-8:30am, we would not be able to book other meetings on these days.

I also included information of how you could earn the 10 free elite nights, which would include booking 10+ guest rooms for at least one night per qualifying event. But you are able to earn 3 points per $1 USD spent with a qualifying event.

There is more information available as well on the Marriott website. I have included the link for your reference,
http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/rewards.mi

Please let me know if this is something you would like to move forward with and I would be happy to get something out to you to secure the meeting space.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Am I asking for the wrong thing here? I tried to booked 5 meetings so I can get my 10 credits per meeting, here is what the person from Marriott wrote back to me...She states I have to book 10 people in rooms for each of the meetings to get the 10 credits per event??

Hi Craig,

For our meeting space rental we generally charge $200 for a half day. We would be willing to cut that in half for $100 per day you would need to use the space. This is because most meetings start at 8am or earlier, and because you would be utilizing the room from 7:30-8:30am, we would not be able to book other meetings on these days.

I also included information of how you could earn the 10 free elite nights, which would include booking 10+ guest rooms for at least one night per qualifying event. But you are able to earn 3 points per $1 USD spent with a qualifying event.

There is more information available as well on the Marriott website. I have included the link for your reference,

Please let me know if this is something you would like to move forward with and I would be happy to get something out to you to secure the meeting space.
There are two different programs offered by MR, one is for booking rooms and another one for booking meeting space. Read up-thread for the particulars.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:25 am

Hi Craig,

I think there are a few things here.

-The rep misspoke as you do not need to book rooms to earn the elite nights.

-I am a little confused by the correspondence. It sounds like your scheduling doesn't quite work with the property (e.g. you want to book a meeting 730am-830am, which then prevents them from booking a real 7am-5pm meeting). Did you request a quote/contract or did you email someone first. My correspondence with anyone at Marriott is limited outside of them confirming space is available and requesting I sign a contract.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by nova08
I think there are a few things here.

-The rep misspoke as you do not need to book rooms to earn the elite nights.

-I am a little confused by the correspondence. It sounds like your scheduling doesn't quite work with the property (e.g. you want to book a meeting 730am-830am, which then prevents them from booking a real 7am-5pm meeting). Did you request a quote/contract or did you email someone first. My correspondence with anyone at Marriott is limited outside of them confirming space is available and requesting I sign a contract.
I went online to Marriott and requested a quote via the online booking system here: http://www.marriott.com/meeting-even...ng-planning.mi

I choose Indianapolis, IN and that I needed an area for 3 people, it showed the hotels that had rooms, then I clicked on "request a quote" for that particular Marriott, I filled out details on what I wanted, said I was doing some interviews, and needed a basic setup with a small table and 3 chairs and I needed it for 5 different dates for 1 hour each time. I guess its routed to that direct Marriott, and I got an email back from the "sales and event coordinator" with that exact email response. I had mentioned that I wanted to make sure it qualified for the 10 free elite nights per booking.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 4:20 am

I went online to Marriott and requested a quote via the online booking system here: http://www.marriott.com/meeting-even...ng-planning.mi

I choose Indianapolis, IN and that I needed an area for 3 people, it showed the hotels that had rooms, then I clicked on "request a quote" for that particular Marriott, I filled out details on what I wanted, said I was doing some interviews, and needed a basic setup with a small table and 3 chairs and I needed it for 5 different dates for 1 hour each time. I guess its routed to that direct Marriott, and I got an email back from the "sales and event coordinator" with that exact email response. I had mentioned that I wanted to make sure it qualified for the 10 free elite nights per booking.
As long as you have a contract signed, you'll be fine, as you can always use that to show you had a meeting and are owed the EQNs. No room booking required. You actually don't need the contract, but the problem is that without it, they could argue with you and you could have difficulty proving it. Getting the contract makes it easy.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mooper
As long as you have a contract signed, you'll be fine, as you can always use that to show you had a meeting and are owed the EQNs. No room booking required. You actually don't need the contract, but the problem is that without it, they could argue with you and you could have difficulty proving it. Getting the contract makes it easy.
Actually, the terms of the program require a signed contract to get the 10 room night credits.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
Actually, the terms of the program require a signed contract to get the 10 room night credits.
Yes, that has been stated a few times. However, experiences posted say they have not enforced that requirement. Having a document helps prove the event happened and prevents that from being used as a reason to refuse.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, that has been stated a few times. However, experiences posted say they have not enforced that requirement. Having a document helps prove the event happened and prevents that from being used as a reason to refuse.
If the rep is familiar with the correct program and assigns room nights, there's no problem. But if you have to point the rep at the program, they might actually read the rules.

E-signed agreements count, it doesn't have to be dead trees.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got my Platinum mailing, and it says that Platinum requires 75 nights or 8 meetings, so it's clear they're promoting meetings to earn status.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by sethb
True, but I meant that they will often issue the EQNs even if you don't have the contract (I've done this several times). But, because it is technically required (as you pointed out), it is best to secure a contract because they could use the lack of one to deny you.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
There are so many different replies here when it comes to you do or do not need a written, signed contract.

I actually need to run at least one, if not two meetings this month and searching for locations through the Rewarding Events link brings up good rates for this.

Has anyone made a direct meeting reservation this way and received the credit for the ten nights?

Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Long Distance
There are so many different replies here when it comes to you do or do not need a written, signed contract.

I actually need to run at least one, if not two meetings this month and searching for locations through the Rewarding Events link brings up good rates for this.

Has anyone made a direct meeting reservation this way and received the credit for the ten nights?

Thanks!
The terms call for a signed contract (be it paper or electronic), anecdotal experiences say not always. If you have a specific location, maybe someone else has been there already and can give you more detailed info (what, who, or when).

Even if a particular location has given credit without a signed contact in the past, there is no guarantee they will in the future. However, if you have a contract, it will be much easier to get the credit. What's your risk tolerance level?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Long Distance
The simplest, safest approach is to always request a contract going forward, regardless if you or others have had success without one in the past. You can assure receipt of your EQNs that way, as long as your meeting qualifies. No nights or anything else required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.