Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
Last 2 times I've done this I've gotten $100 for 1 hour at the Crystal City Marriott. Was just there this AM for my meeting. I did actual work, believe it or not. Always get my points and 10 nights credit.

Originally Posted by hubn
Anyone did this in the DC area or know a hotel that has a decent price?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:11 am

Well didn't show up for my meeting and hotel agent called to ask what happened. Hope this doesn't affect the 10 nights showing up.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by HighFlying123
Well didn't show up for my meeting and hotel agent called to ask what happened. Hope this doesn't affect the 10 nights showing up.
As long as they charge you, they shouldn't care if you don't show. Just say "thanks for following up, but please bill me" and ensure the nights post.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:26 pm

Is this a worldwide thing... any reasons why this would not work in the UK?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:28 am

Looks like this doesn't count towards nights if you are doing a challenge per marriot rep. Idiot me thinking I could do a meeting and get 10 nights to cover the additional 2 I need to meet the 12 night challenge requirement. $125 down the drain
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Looks like this doesn't count towards nights if you are doing a challenge per marriot rep. Idiot me thinking I could do a meeting and get 10 nights to cover the additional 2 I need to meet the 12 night challenge requirement. $125 down the drain
The T&C stated very clearly that the nights have to be "paid stays".
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Those 10 nights might mean lifetime status some years down the pike.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sethb
... and don't forget the rollover nights should you exceed 75 nights by the end of the year. So those 10 nights could count twice.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:49 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Be careful, there is also a total points requirement for lifetime status. I'm a lot closer on nights than on points. Meetings with 10 nights and 50k in points (because there are a lot of room nights) are very useful to me, but meetings with 10 nights and 1k in points are less useful.

Still this is useful for yearly status. And I might use it to bump myself from Gold to Plat. I was at about 55 nights last year.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I'll be there in a couple of weeks. I have a request in for a quote now, just to see what happens.
And they never got back to me. I'll see what happens when I get there later today.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stc
Be careful, there is also a total points requirement for lifetime status. I'm a lot closer on nights than on points. Meetings with 10 nights and 50k in points (because there are a lot of room nights) are very useful to me, but meetings with 10 nights and 1k in points are less useful.

Still this is useful for yearly status. And I might use it to bump myself from Gold to Plat. I was at about 55 nights last year.
I know; I'm Lifetime Silver (barely, on points; closer to Gold on nights). But I'll find a way to snarf those, too, later.

I thought I'd been a member since the program started, but apparently I waited a little too long to join.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm in the Courtyard St. Paul/Roseville. Their cheapest meeting room is $200 (for a full day). They won't split it. (Well, they're willing to allow several meetings, but only on one contract, so that doesn't work.)
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VTrain
I sent you a PM with the location and my contact.
Being in NYC, I'd also like to know. I'm looking for something cheaper (if a no-show meeting works, anywhere in the US is fine).

Anybody know a sales manager in a small Marriott who wants to book a lot of short meetings for free money?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: DL FF, Marriott LT Plat., National EA
All... I'm still a bit confused about accumulating nights this way. EVERYTHING I read on the Marriott site talks about Meeting Planners getting 10 Elite nights when "at least 10 rooms are booked". It doesn't say anything about getting Elite nights simply for booking a $200 meeting room. Does anyone have insight on this?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dsperling
All... I'm still a bit confused about accumulating nights this way. EVERYTHING I read on the Marriott site talks about Meeting Planners getting 10 Elite nights when "at least 10 rooms are booked". It doesn't say anything about getting Elite nights simply for booking a $200 meeting room. Does anyone have insight on this?
As mentioned upthread there are two different programs. One for those that book convention/conference type events that involve rooms for others. There is also a program for people that just book conference/break-out rooms. The latter not getting a lot of publicity. You need to contact the property and talk with the sales desk. Make sure you are tagged to get the ten night credit (upthread they actually specify the system that needs to be used). Some have reported being successful booking meeting rooms for about $100.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.