FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

calitequilasippergirl Sep 22, 2010 3:26 pm

If you can't contribute to the conversation, don't post. We all have opinions and we are all entitled to share them in a mature manner which I and others have done. If you don't like my opinion, that's fine, but to tell me mine is not needed is out of line. This thread was about getting points/nights for meetings. Which I think is a great program when used correctly. I responded to those who indicated incorrect use of the program (joking or real). I don't claim to be 'more moral', i simply shared my opinion. It it appears moral, so be it. It's been a great conversation with intelligent back and forth. Let's leave it that way.

[QUOTE=lesliebmc;14666836]

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl (Post 14662931)
Sorry the delay in response, needy clients :(
I'll try to answer each response directed at me ....

Enough. This thread is about points or nights related to MR. Please take your "moral" converstation to another thread. We all have opinions ourselves, and do not need yours here. Now back to the original thread please...

calitequilasippergirl Sep 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Boraxo

If you go back to the first posts on the thread, my scenarios are NOT subjective, they are illustrative of exactly what some members stated their were going to do (joking or for real). There are a number of people who like to maintain status in multiple chains, but prefer one (maintain Marriott and Starwood but prefer Westins.) It's very reasonable to consider one of these savvy people to book 'phony' meetings to get their Marriott status so they could focus their nights on Marriott when they might have had to share the night revenue with the phony meetings.

My arguments do hold water. Maybe you should fix your glass :) I could care less how many people are platinum. I guess I am on of the few Platinum Premiers that actual feels like I am treated 'better' than mere Platinums - so they are competing with me (at least in my mind).

Maybe it's time to shut this thread down. I've had great converesation and back and forth. For those that have taken it to a 'different level' ... well, ........ :)

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 14663644)
With all due respect that is a complete crock.

The Marriott-branded hotel is getting $200 cash for a conference room that would in all likelihood be sitting empty and not generating a dime (remember we are booking the lowest off peak usage rates at 2nd tier properties - the inner city Marriotts are likely to be too expensive). The expense to the hotel is close to zero since they aren't providing anything except air and maybe vacuuming at the end of the day.

In return Marriott Corp. is providing 10 EQN. The cost of the EQN is $0. If someone attains Plat status as a result of the EQM then Marriott may actually have a real expense but that is entirely speculative particularly for a customer that hasn't stayed very many nights in the first place (otherwise they'd already be Plat). The Plat amenities are not that costly to the hotels and I would bet they are more than happy to provide them in return for revenue from a loyal customer. It is a win-win for everyone.

Except apparently for you. Given that your arguments don't hold water, I would suspect jealousy - you resent the fact that others can get top tier status without staying 75 nights. Certainly you are entitled to feel however you want, but that doesn't mean that Marriott is somehow being shafted when people book conference rooms as EQN mattress runs.

SacTownGuy Sep 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Very interesting

This is really one of the more interesting threads I have seen in a while. I generally think of myself as having high morals but I am having a hard time seeing the moral problem here. Marriott gets their money and that's what they want. Whether people are sitting in that room or not... or whether it's my buddies and I doing our fantasy football draft. Whatever, they get $100 which is $100 more than they had. Plus, from a real business perspective they have got me thinking Marriott for business meetings in the future. I think this is clearly acceptable and a great way to get nights toward plat. Shoot, my kids like to use the indoor pool at the local Fairfield Inn during the winter... this might be a great way to get into the pool too! :)

snowboard1219 Sep 23, 2010 10:07 pm

do you guys know if this would count towards one of those "spend twelve nights between october and december to mantain gold status?" Would I be able to use this promotion towards that promotion? Thanks for your help!

flyfire Sep 24, 2010 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by snowboard1219 (Post 14770479)
do you guys know if this would count towards one of those "spend twelve nights between october and december to mantain gold status?" Would I be able to use this promotion towards that promotion? Thanks for your help!

According to the CSR I talked to, no. This is "bonus" nights. The challenge only counts "base" nights. Maybe you can get a different answer from another agent.

SacTownGuy Sep 24, 2010 3:23 pm

Is there a code you give when you rent the room or do you just give your MR number? Thanks.

SacTownGuy Sep 25, 2010 12:35 pm

On MR website it seems to indicate you need to book rooms OR food service. Has anyone gotten the 10 nights without doing food service?

swag Sep 28, 2010 3:21 pm

Are hotels encouraging this? Maybe.

Fairfield Inn Las Vegas Airport just posted this to their Facebook page:

“For every meeting booked with Marriott, registered meeting planners receive 10 elite qualifying nights! Our meeting space starts at $200 per day!”

SacTownGuy Sep 28, 2010 4:05 pm

I am in the process of booking a real meeting. Was going to do at my office. However, for $300 can have a catered lunch for 10 at the local CY, the office will pay, and I will get my 10 nights! :)

Oh ya, and it will look a little more professional than my office!

DFWsakp Sep 28, 2010 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by mapu (Post 14666927)
+1

+1

You are right on target. She was simply jealous.

quarryking Sep 29, 2010 2:52 am

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy (Post 14828140)
I am in the process of booking a real meeting. Was going to do at my office. However, for $300 can have a catered lunch for 10 at the local CY, the office will pay, and I will get my 10 nights! :)

Oh ya, and it will look a little more professional than my office!

Me too planning a small do...the numbers make sense when it's a small crowd..

heffa Sep 29, 2010 4:00 pm

Any easy way to find meeting room rates?

SacTownGuy Sep 29, 2010 4:25 pm

[I]Any easy way to find meeting room rates?/I]

On the meeting page, at marriott.com, is a place where you can select hotel (just like your booking a hotel room) and then you will get an email reply from the hotel. I did a couple and got it within 24 hours. Do check the list of eligible hotels for the 10 night deal as not all hotels are included. That also is on marriott.com. I would then pick a couple of marginal locations as rooms are probably cheaper there. Also, do read the rules for the 10 night deal. My reading is you need to order food also. Not sure they enforce that but that is in the rules. Have a great "meeting." ;)

NWstu Sep 29, 2010 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy (Post 14845016)
[I]Any easy way to find meeting room rates?/I]

On the meeting page, at marriott.com, is a place where you can select hotel (just like your booking a hotel room) and then you will get an email reply from the hotel. I did a couple and got it within 24 hours. Do check the list of eligible hotels for the 10 night deal as not all hotels are included. That also is on marriott.com. I would then pick a couple of marginal locations as rooms are probably cheaper there. Also, do read the rules for the 10 night deal. My reading is you need to order food also. Not sure they enforce that but that is in the rules. Have a great "meeting." ;)

Here the links to the participating hotels:

US and Canada

International plus Hawaii and Puerto Rico

bhatnasx Sep 29, 2010 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by NWstu (Post 14846669)
Here the links to the participating hotels:

US and Canada

International plus Hawaii and Puerto Rico

The Meetings Matter promotion is a totally separate promo...

http://www.marriott.com/meetings/rewards/travel.mi