Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Member, Starwood, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
If you don't meet your previous years level, you can buy back your status with points. Not sure how many but there is that option.
In 2014, the buyback amount for Platinum status for me was 40,000 points. I received an email and a letter in the mail.

I don't know if that will be different for 2015.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott (Plat), Hyatt (Plat), National (Ex. Elite)
FWIW, I was forced to book a conference room at a Marriott just down the street from our office when all of our conference rooms were full. I called the hotel, booked a room for 4 hours, no add ons, nobody stayed and I got 10 nights. Had no clue this "perk" even existed until the nights posted.

Granted, our company does a fair business with this Marriott, but I'm not even sure I told them who I worked for...

YMMV.

Trout
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:23 pm

Forgive me for only reading the past ~10 pages...

If I have have Ritz Card and have platinum (assuming ritz and MR are one in the same) via that, does each meeting then get 20 nights? How many points (is it per $) does it provide?

Do the sign up bonuses for ritz card/ marriott card count towards lifetime points?

Do points earned via the ritz card (via spend) count to marriott lifetime? Marriott card?

Does earning plat via 75k ritz card provide any nights towards lifetime? bonus points ?

Getting united silver via ritz/mr plat, does that add 25k lifetime miles to my UA account? (not redeemable points, as I'm sure that doesn't exist).

Basically looking for a path to [lifetime] status without paid stays while these avenues are still available. PM me if necessary. I currently deal with Club Carl and hyatt, but haven't really touched MR. I do a fair amount of [non cat] spend for business, mostly on CC, arrive+, and spg.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by moops380
Forgive me for only reading the past ~10 pages...

If I have have Ritz Card and have platinum (assuming ritz and MR are one in the same) via that, does each meeting then get 20 nights?...
No, the program is not tied to any card, so only 10 nights per meeting.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: PC Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, DL Gold
As a follow up to a prior post a few pages earlier...
I learned from the person that I was working with for my meeting that there are two different options for how to post points. One portal is called eBonus, which is what hotels use to provide bonus points. My first meeting was posted using this, and I received 10 points per dollar but no elite nights. The second portal is called the Group Posting Tool, and this is the program that is used that provides 3 pts / $ and the 10 nights. Thus, if you want to be sure you will get the 10 nights, it may make sense to confirm with your rep that they will be posting this meeting using the Group Posting Tool.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by PointerBrother
As a follow up to a prior post a few pages earlier...
I learned from the person that I was working with for my meeting that there are two different options for how to post points. One portal is called eBonus, which is what hotels use to provide bonus points. My first meeting was posted using this, and I received 10 points per dollar but no elite nights. The second portal is called the Group Posting Tool, and this is the program that is used that provides 3 pts / $ and the 10 nights. Thus, if you want to be sure you will get the 10 nights, it may make sense to confirm with your rep that they will be posting this meeting using the Group Posting Tool.
Helpful. Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the tip on group posting tool. It was very helpful when I was working with sales director of SHS for a meeting. It posted immediately after I made the recommendation about current tool.
BTW, if anyone is looking for a cheap meeting (50+service charge+tax) in Dallas, please feel free to PM me and be happy to provide the contact name. You might not even have to show up. Not sure if I can post employee's details here.

To add, I didn't have to sign any contract and they were able to use the my card on file for final payment.

Last edited by bajaj_ash; Jan 19, 2015 at 4:14 pm Reason: Additional information
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:00 pm

I just thought that I would post my experience. Booked a meeting right before Christmas. Others had mentioned a multi-page document to sign, but mine was just 1 page and with no mention of a rewarding event. I was a bit nervous, but went for it, but it was worded as an event. My wife and I went with our son where we finalized our Costa Rica plans. We left after 30 minutes.

When the posting took place, I was pleasantly surprised. They told me that it had to go into a special system. It did go in as a rewarding event, and we received an automated email confirming we had a rewarding event with the proper number of points right after they put it in the system. I was used to waiting a couple of days for stays to post, but this was immediate. I immediately logged in and the points showed up in my total, although it was another 10 minutes for the event to show up. Awesome.

All in all, the 10 nights bumped my wife to platinum, and although it was more than I wanted to spend, the status should come in handy for our personal trips to Asia.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by joeags
I just thought that I would post my experience. Booked a meeting right before Christmas. Others had mentioned a multi-page document to sign, but mine was just 1 page and with no mention of a rewarding event. I was a bit nervous, but went for it, but it was worded as an event. My wife and I went with our son where we finalized our Costa Rica plans. We left after 30 minutes.

When the posting took place, I was pleasantly surprised. They told me that it had to go into a special system. It did go in as a rewarding event, and we received an automated email confirming we had a rewarding event with the proper number of points right after they put it in the system. I was used to waiting a couple of days for stays to post, but this was immediate. I immediately logged in and the points showed up in my total, although it was another 10 minutes for the event to show up. Awesome.

All in all, the 10 nights bumped my wife to platinum, and although it was more than I wanted to spend, the status should come in handy for our personal trips to Asia.
Nice work!

T&Cs require that you have a contract and that you have a paid meeting. I'm pretty sure all meetings count - no need to distinguish as a "rewarding event". Many have it post without a contract, but as the T&Cs say you need one and always best to have proof if in dispute, always get one to be safe. A one-pager is just as good as a telephone directory of a contract, as long as it's clearly a contract for a paid meeting.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:35 pm

Does anyone have any Central NJ hotels they have tried this with recently? I need to book 7 meetings in the next month or two, and would ideally like to spend $100 per meeting. TIA!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by bajaj_ash
Thanks for the tip on group posting tool. It was very helpful when I was working with sales director of SHS for a meeting. It posted immediately after I made the recommendation about current tool.
BTW, if anyone is looking for a cheap meeting (50+service charge+tax) in Dallas, please feel free to PM me and be happy to provide the contact name. You might not even have to show up. Not sure if I can post employee's details here.

To add, I didn't have to sign any contract and they were able to use the my card on file for final payment.
Tried to shoot you a PM about the contact for the Dallas location. Would greatly appreciate any info here. Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:06 pm

I'm doing my first attempt at this week. I'm staying at a Courtyard Marriott for work in Santa Rosa, CA (about 75 miles north of San Francisco).

I negotiated 4 seperate one hour meetings with the sales person here for $75 each. I specified I needed 4 seperate contracts for expensing purposes and said that I wanted to make sure it would qualify as a rewarding event because I first heard information about it on their website (so what if I really heard about it here, right?).

Waiting to get the contracts via email. I'm hoping if it all works out well that by next Friday I will have done what is necessarry to get 40 nights for $300+ tax and fees.

If it all works out, I may do it a couple more times.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mgm32
I'm doing my first attempt at this week. I'm staying at a Courtyard Marriott for work in Santa Rosa, CA (about 75 miles north of San Francisco).

I negotiated 4 seperate one hour meetings with the sales person here for $75 each. I specified I needed 4 seperate contracts for expensing purposes and said that I wanted to make sure it would qualify as a rewarding event because I first heard information about it on their website (so what if I really heard about it here, right?).

Waiting to get the contracts via email. I'm hoping if it all works out well that by next Friday I will have done what is necessarry to get 40 nights for $300+ tax and fees.

If it all works out, I may do it a couple more times.
Hopefully someone who recalls better then I, will chirp in. From what I recall any meeting held at the same place within 3 days is considered the same meeting no matter the # of contracts, of cause YMMV and they may all post or only 1 may post. Youd do best explaining exactly what you are up to and have them book the meetings 1 week apart from one another and they can check you in and out.Also this way they wont ding you for any set up or clean up fees which are in addition to the room fee itself, and some places will simply charge youa flat fee including taxes once they know what you are doing
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:34 pm

If that is the case then I'll space them out for sure. Thank you for the information. Is anyone else aware of this?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:41 pm

I received the contracts and they don't show my Marriott Rewards # nor do they state meeting anywhere. They show "Catering Contract" and "Banquet Event Order."

I emailed the person back, cited the referenced links in this thread, mentioned the Group Posting Tool as well as laid out for them what I am seeking (10 nights per meeting). The total after taxes is 81.56 per meeting. I'm hoping they make the changes as requested. Will report back what I get back from them.

Can anyone point to me where the "any meeting held at the same place within 3 days is considered the same meeting no matter the # of contracts" comes from? I thought I read someone back on page 56 or so said they got 30 nights in one weekend off of 3 meetings.

Thanks so much for your indulgence on a newly more active member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.