Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
I am holding a meeting

room is booked for two hours at a cost of 100 dollars talks all about rewarding events on the second page of the four page contract they gave me
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver, Hertz PC
Looking to up the status night count and had a few questions

- Which brand would you recommend in terms of overall lowest cost for a 1 hour "meeting". It seems most properties want to rent out their space for the full day.

- Do you recommend using the online "request a quote" tool or contact someone at the hotel directly. If the latter, who would be best?

- If I check out from a 1 night stay at a given property on the same day as my "meeting" at that property, will I get the 11 status nights?

- Has anyone found a 50$ rate using the online reservation tool? the lowest I've seen so far is 100$ in the DFW area. Seems like it would be the path of least resistance.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:32 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
This year I've done 3 meetings. For each one I've had to chase up the nights credit, none have posted automatically. Worth it though as I've done my 75 stayed nights and so each of these meetings counts double for my lifetime score, 60 lifetime nights for $360. This is important as I'm within 100k points LTP but have only just got to 500 nights. I'll certainly not get the opportunity to repeat another travel year like this and will dip down to my more usual 30 nights pa next year, so these meetings have bought LTP 2 years closer...
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
This year I've done 3 meetings. For each one I've had to chase up the nights credit, none have posted automatically. Worth it though as I've done my 75 stayed nights and so each of these meetings counts double for my lifetime score, 60 lifetime nights for $360. This is important as I'm within 100k points LTP but have only just got to 500 nights. I'll certainly not get the opportunity to repeat another travel year like this and will dip down to my more usual 30 nights pa next year, so these meetings have bought LTP 2 years closer...
Good point on the double credit.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by mapelle621

- Which brand would you recommend in terms of overall lowest cost for a 1 hour "meeting". It seems most properties want to rent out their space for the full day.
I have done CY and FF.

- Do you recommend using the online "request a quote" tool or contact someone at the hotel directly. If the latter, who would be best?
I have always contacted directly.

- If I check out from a 1 night stay at a given property on the same day as my "meeting" at that property, will I get the 11 status nights?
Yes.

- Has anyone found a 50$ rate using the online reservation tool? the lowest I've seen so far is 100$ in the DFW area. Seems like it would be the path of least resistance.
Never seen a $50.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: DL Dia, Marriott Plat
Question: When booking a meeting how many people do you usually or have put as the amount of people attending on the request for quote?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by yasmas
Question: When booking a meeting how many people do you usually or have put as the amount of people attending on the request for quote?
One or more is all that should be needed. You could be doing a video conference and just needing a quiet place to work, being the presenter or attendee. The only time a head count should apply is if arranging F&B for the event.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
One or more is all that should be needed. You could be doing a video conference and just needing a quiet place to work, being the presenter or attendee. The only time a head count should apply is if arranging F&B for the event.
I agree. It's not like they are checking. Put 4. It indicates you want a small room.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Never seen a $50.
Never seen it online. But just got quoted $50 for an hour at the Residence Inn, Coralville, IA. Waiting on the contract, but that's what they offered up.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: PC Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Many MI staff do not KNOW the rules but they hypothesize how they work. First thing is to read the contract to see if there is anything there one way or the other. Next contact MR to see if someone there will give a solid answer (keep in mind they may not know for a fact). If the property continues to sound wishy-washy, get them to call MR for an official ruling.

Anecdotal reports do not support it must be a full-day booking.

Good luck and enjoy the party.
Thanks for those who replied to this post...very helpful. Here's a follow up:
Since the property was wishy-washy, I called a few others and found one that talked about entering in my info on a "Meeting Rewards" portal after the meeting...which seemed legit and a positive sign. I went ahead and had my meeting there, and I have a contract that outlines the meeting and has my Marriott Rewards number on it, as specified by the Terms and Conditions. Once I pushed the rep to post the points after the meeting, it appeared they were just posted as a "Bonus" through the system and not necessarily as a meeting. After I asked the question about how she did it, she is now directing me to call MR for info. Does anyone have any experience as to what system these should be posted to in order for them to code correctly? I plan on writing her back with the full T&Cs but hope to have a little more detail with the right way to do it, if possible. Thanks all for your help!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
Originally Posted by mapelle621

They can be found. You have to be flexible on the days, times. Look for one hour meetings when looking online maybe a week to 10 days out.

Good luck.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by teach42
Never seen it online. But just got quoted $50 for an hour at the Residence Inn, Coralville, IA. Waiting on the contract, but that's what they offered up.
Geez. That's awesome. I would book a bunch of those! I booked two real meetings at a local courtyard next month. They are about $190 in total for each.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Never seen a $50.
I had that rate a couple of yrs ago, but Id say with todays mkt $100 is yesterdays $50
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Funny thing happened last year when I was attempting to book event space to leverage the 10 elite nights.

I contacted the 2 different hotels that I happened to be staying at thinking it would be good to host my "events" there. In both cases the sales people provided meeting rooms for free and would not write up a contract for me. They were so nice and giving I didn't have it in me to tell them the space was not needed, and I just wanted a contract and to pay.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by teach42
Don't think Residence Inn's are eligible (I may be wrong):

If I book an event at a brand that is not participating in Rewarding Events, will I earn points or miles?

No, You will not earn Marriott Rewards points or miles for any rooms you book for your meeting or event at Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites and Marriott Executive Apartments. You can continue to earn points or miles for your individual stays at these brands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.