FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

Jiatong Mar 28, 2014 2:32 pm

+1

Originally Posted by nachosdelux (Post 22603494)

Lessons learned:

1. Get a separate contract for each meeting.
2, Have the contract state that you will get 10 nights credit for the meeting. If it is not in the contract, have it revised.
3. When you pay for the meeting, get a receipt. Make sure the front desk clerk knows how to code it as a meeting. If not, get the front desk supervisor/manager to assist.
4. Get the names of everyone you deal with and document it.
5. It took 2-3 business days for the nights to post if everything was done properly.
6. If the 10 nights do not post, it is best to deal with the hotel (management) directly, since Marriott Rewards cannot post the nights for them.

+1

danola Mar 28, 2014 2:41 pm

I posted in this thread a couple years back about similar problems at 1 property. It took months and months to get it resolved - very frustrating.

Lessons I learned:

2, Have the contract state that you will get 10 nights credit for the meeting. If it is not in the contract, have it revised.
3. When you pay for the meeting, get a receipt. Make sure the front desk clerk knows how to code it as a meeting. If not, get the front desk supervisor/manager to assist.
5. It took 2-3 business days for the nights to post if everything was done properly.
6. If the 10 nights do not post, it is best to deal with the hotel (management) directly, since Marriott Rewards cannot post the nights for them.

Excellent post !!! I think this lack of consistency stems from lack of experience (also training), some hotels go through this process daily and they are good at it but some do it very seldom, so they don't know the codes, they forget to write important things in the contract. So be alert, be prepared and raise the flag when you need to.

MileageGoblin Apr 7, 2014 9:44 am

I posted in this thread a couple years back about similar problems at 1 property. It took months and months to get it resolved - very frustrating.

Lessons I learned:

That's actually missing that the MR number needs to be on contract. Per T&C: 4. A signed group or catering contract with the hotel sales department is required and must include the Member’s Rewards Program Membership Number. I just write it next to my name if its left off.

Items #2 and 3 aren't needed. #4 is just helpful in case things fall through. And for #5, I've gotten it uploaded the morning of the first business day thereafter. Depends on how good the property sales manager is.

MileageGoblin Apr 7, 2014 9:55 am

Originally Posted by danola (Post 22606513)
I think this lack of consistency stems from lack of experience (also training), some hotels go through this process daily and they are good at it but some do it very seldom, so they don't know the codes, they forget to write important things in the contract. So be alert, be prepared and raise the flag when you need to.

Agreed on the Events/Sales Managers seldom (if at all) do this, so they aren't aware of the benefit. I think they deal more with corporate event planners that already book rooms. I've had to educate them every time I've booked a meeting. I just always do it through email to have a paper trail.

tracon Apr 11, 2014 11:07 am

Had my "meeting" in December.

Nothing posts. I call the hotel in February. They will work on it. Nothing posts.
Mid march I call the Elite line. They call the hotel. Hotel apologizes and they will work on it. Nothing posts.

I the Elite line last week. They call the hotel. Points post the next day. The nights don't.

I call the Elite line this morning. After a few minutes on hold, I'm told they have changed my status back to gold and a new card will be mailed. I login to my account and status has changed to gold.

There is hope!

SacTownGuy Apr 11, 2014 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 22688786)

Nothing posts. I call the hotel in February. They will work on it. Nothing posts.
Mid march I call the Elite line. They call the hotel. Hotel apologizes and they will work on it. Nothing posts.

I the Elite line last week. They call the hotel. Points post the next day. The nights don't.

I call the Elite line this morning. After a few minutes on hold, I'm told they have changed my status back to gold and a new card will be mailed. I login to my account and status has changed to gold.

There is hope!

Was it worth the hassle?

tracon Apr 12, 2014 10:13 am

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy (Post 22689575)
Was it worth the hassle?

If you're entitled to it, it's worth it.

The amount of manpower Marriott put into this. Answering my calls, phoning each other. Having to mail me a new card. Not sure it will be worth it to them.

njcommodore May 31, 2014 10:14 am

Lessons I learned:

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 22663547)
That's actually missing that the MR number needs to be on contract. Per T&C: 4. A signed group or catering contract with the hotel sales department is required and must include the Member’s Rewards Program Membership Number. I just write it next to my name if its left off.

Items #2 and 3 aren't needed. #4 is just helpful in case things fall through. And for #5, I've gotten it uploaded the morning of the first business day thereafter. Depends on how good the property sales manager is.

I've got my first meeting planned this week at a hotel that I might have more at in the future. My contract has the points listed but not the nights. I asked the hotel about this and the meeting coordinator said that nights come from corporate (which I don't think is correct based on posts here). I looped in the corporate meetings rep who referred me to the local rep for this meeting. Neither seems to be able to give me an answer. Will I likely be ok on this?

nachosdelux May 31, 2014 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore (Post 22955641)
I've got my first meeting planned this week at a hotel that I might have more at in the future. My contract has the points listed but not the nights. I asked the hotel about this and the meeting coordinator said that nights come from corporate (which I don't think is correct based on posts here). I looped in the corporate meetings rep who referred me to the local rep for this meeting. Neither seems to be able to give me an answer. Will I likely be ok on this?

I'm pretty sure that the nights will only post if the hotel codes the meeting properly in their system (when you pay/get a receipt)

I had problems in the past getting (the 10 meeting) nights credited, and each time it was the hotel that had to fix it, not corporate or Marriott Rewards customer service.

If the contract does not mention the 10 nights credit, I would ask them to revise it. That way is you have a problem down the road, it (hopefully) makes it easier to resolve.

RogerD408 May 31, 2014 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by nachosdelux (Post 22956126)
I'm pretty sure that the nights will only post if the hotel codes the meeting properly in their system (when you pay/get a receipt)

I had problems in the past getting (the 10 meeting) nights credited, and each time it was the hotel that had to fix it, not corporate or Marriott Rewards customer service.

If the contract does not mention the 10 nights credit, I would ask them to revise it. That way is you have a problem down the road, it (hopefully) makes it easier to resolve.

Was it just the nights that didn't post or the points too?

Maybe the nights posting is a fallout of the points posting. So if the property posts the points the nights will too. It's too bad everyone the OP has talked with points to someone else being responsible.

YoungBubbie May 31, 2014 5:07 pm

Anyone have any experience in the Bergen County or Westchester area?

Feel free to PM. Might need to do this to get my husband to gold as I will be losing my platinum this year.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

kaaria May 31, 2014 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore (Post 22955641)

My experience is that once the points for the event post, the nights will post as well. The hotel has to go through the approval process and once they approve the points you should be good.

TommyC80 May 31, 2014 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 22688786)

There is hope!

And this is why this strategy of getting/maintaing status is so incredibly painful. The process of calling up marriott sales, trying to negotiate a rate that isn't ridiculous, showing up to the property, waiting weeks/months for positing and following up multiple times in the interim -- all of this is why I stopped doing this to flip to the next level.

You're much better off getting the Ritz card and running 10k a year through it if you really need Gold.

If you can't get to Platinum the old fashioned way then you're not staying at Marriott properties enough for it to matter anyway. Other than the bonus points it's relatively useless (and arguably the bonus points don't amount to much if you're not a heavy traveler anyway)

njcommodore Jun 1, 2014 6:23 am

Originally Posted by TommyC80 (Post 22958042)

If you can't get to Platinum the old fashioned way then you're not staying at Marriott properties enough for it to matter anyway. Other than the bonus points it's relatively useless (and arguably the bonus points don't amount to much if you're not a heavy traveler anyway)

Except now that Marriott Plat gives you UA silver it makes sense for some (at least me) to maintain Marriott plat even if it means a couple meetings. The one I have next week would have happened regardless, I might have to squeeze one or two more out to ensure I keep status. Moving closer to lifetime status is a perk as well with the nights.

twoner32 Jun 1, 2014 7:54 am

I do 20 of these a yr for my company. Nights always post, even if not in contract.