FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

mooper Sep 10, 10 12:51 am

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl (Post 14629780)
If you are booking legitimate meetings, my opinion has aboslutely NO problem with that, as you are using the program for it's INTENDED reason.

I don't see how 'phony' meeting bookings simply to accumulate nights provides any additional value to Marriott.

What's your opinion of "phony" orders placed to meet the qualification criteria for various airline promotions that require purchases from various stores? What about "mistake fares" and the people who book them? What do you think of companies that purposefully announce promotions with the intent of creating a flurry of sales from bargain hunters, even though it knows it's a loss-leader?

jfhscott Sep 10, 10 11:21 am

Originally Posted by annerj (Post 14630845)
It provides value to Marriott in the $ for the meeting and at a hotel level its probably even better as they don't have the expense of clean up. How is this not additional value to Marriott?

Why would Marriott care if you hold the meeting or not and more importantly why would you care?

But the question was "how does this hurt you or Marriott?" and I'm not sure you've addressed this at all.

My last question, for now, is not 'fair' to whom?. It seems fair to the hotel (they are getting $), it seems fair to the person booking it (they get nights).....the only answer I can come up with it that its not 'fair' to you....and I just can't see why this program needs to be fair to you.......seems awful busybodyish to me. YMMV
Lots of questions!
RJ

+1

As I indicate above, Marriott is well able to protect itself from "unfairness" in any arms length transaction in which it engages.

This is, indeed, not at all like exploiting a mistake fare, which involves taking advantage of an honest error, and in my mind is abusive. Rather, the opportunity has been available well long enough that I cannot imagine that it reflects a "mistake" on Marriott's part at all. Perhaps there is an unintended, unforeseen, consequence from deliberate actions, but I've had to deal with unintended, unforeseen consequences from my deliberate actions since I was a child.

The terms of this offer are entirely unilateral - as is its prerogative, Marriott dictated the terms without the smallest bit of "negotiation" with MR members. No MR member pulled to wool over Marriott's eyes. Nor did anyone hold a gun to Marriott's head.

Marriott made its own, educated, decision with respect to marketng its meetings. I presume it finds its unilaterally dictated terms and conditions fair and equitable.

ringbahn Sep 11, 10 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer (Post 14603910)
You can usually buy back your status at the beginning of the year. If I remember right, it was 25k for gold. That would be around 350 $ for 25'000 points = Gold status @:-)

Buying back my status?Never heard of that-I`ve been offered things like "spend another 12 nights from Oct to Dec to keep status" but never an opportunity to buy with points.Should I`ve better have waited until January for a purchase offer?Or is it an unofficial and only targeted offer for Golds?

happymommy Sep 11, 10 4:14 am

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl (Post 14629797)
Happy Mommy, your hubby is using it for the right reasons. My problem is not with those that are planning real meetings to get the 10 nights per. That's the reason it's in place.

My problem with those that indicate that they were going to (or had) booked 'phony' meetings just for the nights. I apologize if it came across any other way :)

I understand totally.

I am actually wondering, though, if I booked a meeting room, paid the fee ($100 or whatever they charge). Then use it and have a nice lunch with a couple of girlfriends, spending $ on some food, they are still making some money and using a room that was there. So I guess we'd all make something. It is a nice perk, and I am thinking about maybe planning something like that over the holidays to treat some friends, or have a little holday get together.

Would I plan that without the extra night credits? No. But they are getting more business from this night credit bonus.

calitequilasippergirl Sep 15, 10 12:58 pm

Sorry the delay in response, needy clients :(
I'll try to answer each response directed at me ....

@vilntrav - not quite sure what your question meant, if you'd like to clarify, I'd be happy to respond.

@annerj - This is not of additional value to Marriott because those substituting 'phony' bookings for nights in lieu of actually staying nights are cutting hotel margins heavily ($200 for a meeting for ten nights or $100 a night for 10 nights). As a hotel, I'd rather have the $1000 than the $200. Multiple this by multiple 'phony' meetings to achieve platnium (let's say 8). Now, you have $1600 in meeting revenue versus $7500 in stay revenue. Against, seems pretty cut and dried to me.

I could care less about me. I stay 200+ nights a year between pleasure and work.

@moop - I don't agree with phony orders placed to meet qualification criteria for airline promotions or store purchases. They are intended as an added benefit for an already needed service. Marriott didn't create a promotion with the intent of creating a flurry of sales from bargain hunters. They created the promotion to encourage meeting planners to use Marriott properties for their meetings by incenting them ... they did not create the promotion to allow people to book 'phony' meetings just to accumulate nights.

What's your opinion of "phony" orders placed to meet the qualification criteria for various airline promotions that require purchases from various stores? What about "mistake fares" and the people who book them? What do you think of companies that purposefully announce promotions with the intent of creating a flurry of sales from bargain hunters, even though it knows it's a loss-leader?

Boraxo Sep 15, 10 2:49 pm

With all due respect that is a complete crock.

The Marriott-branded hotel is getting $200 cash for a conference room that would in all likelihood be sitting empty and not generating a dime (remember we are booking the lowest off peak usage rates at 2nd tier properties - the inner city Marriotts are likely to be too expensive). The expense to the hotel is close to zero since they aren't providing anything except air and maybe vacuuming at the end of the day.

In return Marriott Corp. is providing 10 EQN. The cost of the EQN is $0. If someone attains Plat status as a result of the EQM then Marriott may actually have a real expense but that is entirely speculative particularly for a customer that hasn't stayed very many nights in the first place (otherwise they'd already be Plat). The Plat amenities are not that costly to the hotels and I would bet they are more than happy to provide them in return for revenue from a loyal customer. It is a win-win for everyone.

Except apparently for you. Given that your arguments don't hold water, I would suspect jealousy - you resent the fact that others can get top tier status without staying 75 nights. Certainly you are entitled to feel however you want, but that doesn't mean that Marriott is somehow being shafted when people book conference rooms as EQN mattress runs.

MMX-YVR Sep 15, 10 10:09 pm

Double Points for meetings until 2011?

First time post so bear with me while I figure out the logistics and protocol.

Double Points until end of the year? I was not aware of this. Is this an enrollable program or automatic? I know last year they did this automatically but lately there has been nothing I can see like this.

lesliebmc Sep 16, 10 6:12 am

[QUOTE=calitequilasippergirl;14662931]Sorry the delay in response, needy clients :(
I'll try to answer each response directed at me ....

Enough. This thread is about points or nights related to MR. Please take your "moral" converstation to another thread. We all have opinions ourselves, and do not need yours here. Now back to the original thread please...

mapu Sep 16, 10 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 14663644)
With all due respect that is a complete crock.

... I would suspect jealousy - you resent the fact that others can get top tier status without staying 75 nights. ...

+1

jfhscott Sep 16, 10 7:08 am

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl (Post 14662931)
. . . As a hotel, I'd rather have the $1000 than the $200. Multiple this by multiple 'phony' meetings to achieve platnium (let's say 8). Now, you have $1600 in meeting revenue versus $7500 in stay revenue. Against, seems pretty cut and dried to me. . . .

Cut and dried? Yes, the hotel would rather have $1000 than $200 like any other business, but choosing an option which a seller prefers less than another option is not abusive. I feel no obligation to make any purchases anywhere according to a seller's preferences. $200 for arranging a meeting that does not happen strikes me as a pretty good business proposition for a suburban Courtyard. And $1600 from no-show meeting planners may be a better proposition than $7500 from folks who actually use hotel rooms (obviously depends on the pertinent financials). and even if it were not a better proposition, Marriott is not particularly entitled to the $7500 in the first instance. I will trust Marriott to determine what business propositions are wise and which ones are not.

All that is cut and dreid here is that the meeting option provides stay credits per the terms and conditions Marriott has elected.

ussie44 Sep 16, 10 3:32 pm

I book several one and two-day meetings a year at various Marriott brands. They generally, but not always, include some guest room nights and/or catering for a group. Whatever the particular arrangement, I get my 10 nights plus whatever points accrue for the guest rooms and food and beverage charges.

I may be wrong - and some comments on this thread lead me to think I AM wrong - but I find it hard to believe that Marriott would award 10 nights to someone who books a small meeting room for $100 (where do you find such a cheap meeting room, anyway?), has no guest room occupancy and orders no food and beverage. This makes no sense to me...

saintd Sep 16, 10 4:43 pm

i might have an issue with the 'fake' meetings as well. we often use marriott for legit meetings and often have to change our first choice of dates because meeting rooms weren't available. these meetings are generally 20-30 with some attrition and a $2k room rental, catering and a/v spend.

Kalboz Sep 16, 10 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by ussie44 (Post 14670572)
... I may be wrong - and some comments on this thread lead me to think I AM wrong - but I find it hard to believe that Marriott would award 10 nights to someone who books a small meeting room for $100 (where do you find such a cheap meeting room, anyway?), has no guest room occupancy and orders no food and beverage. This makes no sense to me...

You make an excellent point here ...

Has anyone successfully tried this nights earning method yet? The ones for a $100 to get 10 nights credit? Anyone? Please report!

Thank you!

pbjag Sep 17, 10 8:34 am

Actually, this promo could garner a fair amount of business from me. We occasionally hold focus group sessions in a hotel rather than in a dedicated facility (and do spend on F&B plus a second meeting room for clients to watch from a video feed).
I was not aware of the EQN perk. This would influence me to book more of these type of sessions at a Marriott property.

annerj Sep 18, 10 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl (Post 14662931)

@annerj - This is not of additional value to Marriott because those substituting 'phony' bookings for nights in lieu of actually staying nights are cutting hotel margins heavily ($200 for a meeting for ten nights or $100 a night for 10 nights). As a hotel, I'd rather have the $1000 than the $200. Multiple this by multiple 'phony' meetings to achieve platnium (let's say 8). Now, you have $1600 in meeting revenue versus $7500 in stay revenue. Against, seems pretty cut and dried to me.

:confused: Where does the $1000 come in? I think the hotel would rather have $200 for the meeting vs 0$ for no meeting.....don't you? Mutiply this by (ley's say 8) and you have $1600 vs $0.... :rolleyes:

*I agree that to find a cheap meeting room, its going to be one that isn't used often. It seems to me that you ASSume that if its booked for $100 or whatever that they are losing business...I think that is a faulty assumption.