FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

username Sep 6, 10 11:44 am

I think a title like this would have caught the eyes of Marriott Concierge. So, do not give calitequilasippergirl a hard time.

Still, whether intentional or not, if it is offered and it works, I would not call it a scam to take advantage of it. That is the whole point of FT :D

skynerd Sep 6, 10 2:42 pm

Looks like you always get points and miles for meeting rooms

On a closer to read, I think you always get the points/miles plus elite nights if you rent the conference room. Apparently, the restriction of only earning Elite Nights and losing the points and miles occurs if you book a room block only (no conference room rental) that ends up with less than 10 room rentals.

From https://www.marriott.com/Multimedia/...Events_FAQ.pdf provided by PHLGovFlyer (my bold):

What type of meetings and events qualify to earn points or miles?
Any member that has a signed Group Sales Agreement or Contract qualifies.
This includes all room blocks, social events, meetings, etc.
Note: the room block must actualize with at least 10 rooms on one night to earn points or miles.
I assume some non-refundable deposit is generally required for room blocks. That would prevent one from achieving elite status for free by repeatedly reserving room blocks that nobody shows up for.

calitequilasippergirl Sep 7, 10 3:37 pm

shame on me???????? ROFLMAO

It's ok, it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

I would loved to share my elementary playground with you too :)

Originally Posted by mapu (Post 14605773)
:td::td::td: shame on you

User Name Sep 8, 10 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl (Post 14617458)
shame on me???????? ROFLMAO

It's ok, it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

I would loved to share my elementary playground with you too :)

I don't think this is the website for you. Suggest you go and play elsewhere and let everyone here go about their business (which, incidentally, is none of yours).

Run along now.

Boraxo Sep 8, 10 1:44 pm

Here is the provision regarding credit for elite nights:

Members who hold qualifying Events at participating hotels also receive ten (10) Elite Night credits toward their Elite status which are awarded to their Marriott Rewards account along with either Points or Miles earned for the Event.

Interestingly I could not find a definition for the terms "qualifying Event" and "Event" as they relate to Elite nights. So arguably any type of event would qualify provided you meet the other requirements, i.e. MR # must be on the contract, etc.

As I'm only 20 EQNs from Gold, I am going to try to set up a couple of meetings for this weekend and see what happens.

I'm going to bite my tongue as to my reacton to others who think the EQN meeting bonus should be shut down. Except to say: how does this hurt you or Marriott?

happymommy Sep 8, 10 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 14623164)
Here is the provision regarding credit for elite nights:

Members who hold qualifying Events at participating hotels also receive ten (10) Elite Night credits toward their Elite status which are awarded to their Marriott Rewards account along with either Points or Miles earned for the Event.

Interestingly I could not find a definition for the terms "qualifying Event" and "Event" as they relate to Elite nights. So arguably any type of event would qualify provided you meet the other requirements, i.e. MR # must be on the contract, etc.

As I'm only 20 EQNs from Gold, I am going to try to set up a couple of meetings for this weekend and see what happens.

I'm going to bite my tongue as to my reacton to others who think the EQN meeting bonus should be shut down. Except to say: how does this hurt you or Marriott?

Can you please post after the fact? I'd love to see if you get the night credits, plus how much the conference room/meeting room cost.

My DH is platinum, but sometimes it's cutting it close (he does travel a lot, plus we purposely choose Marriott for a couple weeks of family vacations per year). He actually said at one site, he needs to have small meetings, so this is a better idea than the restaurants he normally uses.

Honestly, it is GOOD for Marriott to offer this perk. In our case, they will make extra money for him holding small meetings at the Marriott that he's staying at.

Thanks!

calitequilasippergirl Sep 8, 10 2:58 pm

On the contrary, it is for me (and everyone else) so I'll be staying. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I'm sorry that mine apparently bothers you so much. Feel free to contact me in PM to discuss further.

Originally Posted by User Name (Post 14622733)
I don't think this is the website for you. Suggest you go and play elsewhere and let everyone here go about their business (which, incidentally, is none of yours).

Run along now.

Boraxo Sep 8, 10 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by happymommy (Post 14623604)
Honestly, it is GOOD for Marriott to offer this perk. In our case, they will make extra money for him holding small meetings at the Marriott that he's staying at.

Thanks!

Funny isn't it when the perk works exactly as intended. Marriott gets additional revenue, and a few MR members increase their status.

Sad that a few resentful souls don't seem to like the fact that there will be a few more Plats in the mix next year.

happymommy Sep 8, 10 4:14 pm

Yes, it is funny! I actually look for the bonus deals. In the end, Marriott (or whomever is offering it) ends up WINNING! It is fun, and I do take advantage of it (husband does the business travel, I plan our family trips).

To each his own. I love the bonus opportunities. My husband has to travel a lot anyway, so why not pick up points and use them for family trips? He just joined MR 2 years ago, and we already have half a million points (and he could travel more, but may in the future).

Travel safe!

annerj Sep 8, 10 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 14623164)
how does this hurt you or Marriott?

bump.

deannaC Sep 8, 10 10:19 pm

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions .. yes. But that is what FT is about. Highlight opportunities to increase our points / miles even if we are not targeted, fares mistakes, price mistakes, mattress and mileage running. Honestly, I think Hotels and Airlines earned more from me after FT. But then again, I've been travelling alot more, and alot better after FT also :D

calitequilasippergirl Sep 9, 10 3:24 pm

Annerj

I apologize, I didn't see your original post.

In my opinion, as humble or unhumble as it may be, it is not 'fair' for someone to book a meeting for a few hours with NO intent of having the meeting (not showing, or sitting in the room by yourself) and get Platinum for 10-20 bucks a night.

If you are booking legitimate meetings, my opinion has aboslutely NO problem with that, as you are using the program for it's INTENDED reason.

I don't see how 'phony' meeting bookings simply to accumulate nights provides any additional value to Marriott.

Just my thoughts.

calitequilasippergirl Sep 9, 10 3:27 pm

Happy Mommy, your hubby is using it for the right reasons. My problem is not with those that are planning real meetings to get the 10 nights per. That's the reason it's in place.

My problem with those that indicate that they were going to (or had) booked 'phony' meetings just for the nights. I apologize if it came across any other way :)

vilntrav Sep 9, 10 4:26 pm

You felt a victim because you thought they would force you to assist these "phony" meetings ?

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl (Post 14629797)
Happy Mommy, your hubby is using it for the right reasons. My problem is not with those that are planning real meetings to get the 10 nights per. That's the reason it's in place.

My problem with those that indicate that they were going to (or had) booked 'phony' meetings just for the nights. I apologize if it came across any other way :)

annerj Sep 9, 10 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl (Post 14629780)
I don't see how 'phony' meeting bookings simply to accumulate nights provides any additional value to Marriott.

Just my thoughts.

It provides value to Marriott in the $ for the meeting and at a hotel level its probably even better as they don't have the expense of clean up. How is this not additional value to Marriott?

Why would Marriott care if you hold the meeting or not and more importantly why would you care?

But the question was "how does this hurt you or Marriott?" and I'm not sure you've addressed this at all.

My last question, for now, is not 'fair' to whom?. It seems fair to the hotel (they are getting $), it seems fair to the person booking it (they get nights).....the only answer I can come up with it that its not 'fair' to you....and I just can't see why this program needs to be fair to you.......seems awful busybodyish to me. YMMV
Lots of questions!
RJ