Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
NOT all properties participate in the program which gives you 10 elite nights per meeting. If I remember correctly, Residence Inn and one other (it might be Town Place) do NOT participate. In ADDITION, most 'franchise" properties also do NOT participate. I visited at least four properties before I found one which was Marriott OWNED and DID participate. If the manager at the property does not know about the program, it is possible that they do not participate in the program. I would suggest that you confirm this by having the manager call Marriott before proceeding. Also, I think that a contract is a MUST in order to get the credits. Good Luck.

Originally Posted by mooper
Good point, but this is a pretty out-of-the-way small property that seems to have no idea what they are doing. They also claim there is no special contract, but that the charge will show on my bill (I'm staying there now, but would like to do this in the future from afar, as you suggest). What's you're suggested response to this? Just trust them? At $75, I want to stick with them.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Retired FF
NOT all properties participate in the program which gives you 10 elite nights per meeting. If I remember correctly, Residence Inn and one other (it might be Town Place) do NOT participate. In ADDITION, most 'franchise" properties also do NOT participate. I visited at least four properties before I found one which was Marriott OWNED and DID participate. If the manager at the property does not know about the program, it is possible that they do not participate in the program. I would suggest that you confirm this by having the manager call Marriott before proceeding. Also, I think that a contract is a MUST in order to get the credits. Good Luck.
Thanks for your input, again. Fairfield Inns participate, and this is one. The front desk manager said the 10 nights would post but that there was no special contract - it would just show on the bill. They opened the door for the meeting. The front desk employee at check out said she had no idea how to charge and that I'd have to deal with the GM later.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by mooper
Good point, but this is a pretty out-of-the-way small property that seems to have no idea what they are doing. They also claim there is no special contract, but that the charge will show on my bill (I'm staying there now, but would like to do this in the future from afar, as you suggest). What's you're suggested response to this? Just trust them? At $75, I want to stick with them.
To me, and I would guess, some others here, this manager and hotel seems a bit sketchy. IMO, you should look around for other hotels, in a convenient area for you, which either offer, or who you can negotiate with, a rate between $50 and $100 per meeting, and not have the stress of worrying about whether a manager/hotel will do what is both agreed to by you, and also what they are supposed to do to comply with the rules laid down by MR in the T&C.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
(emphasis mine)

Sorry, but this information is incorrect. Marriott OWNS very few hotels directly, and is primarily a hotel branding, franchising, and management company. Almost all Marriott branded hotels are franchises, and are not "owned." However, many Marriott branded hotels are franchised hotels which do not also have a MI management contract, and are self managed or have contracts with other professional management companies, such as Interstate Hotels & Resorts. At any given time, MI typically owns no more than a range from less than 1% to as much as 3% of the Marriott portfolio, and typically, the higher percentages are only reached when MI buys another chain or portfolio of hotels, which is relatively rare. Ideally for MI, the preference is for hotels to not only be franchisees, but to also be MI managed. In most MI branded hotels, somewhere in the lobby, usually near the front desk, will be a plaque which announces the ownership (and sometimes the management too) of that particular hotel. In this way, each hotel has three parts of its "personality," ownership of the physical Real Estate, Marriott franchising/brand affiliation, and management. In order for a hotel to be publicly labeled as a Marriott, or Courtyard, or Residence Inn, etc., only one of these three parts is required, franchising/brand affiliation.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:48 pm

Thanks for the correction. I assumed my information to be correct because I was given the information from two different properties I visited. The Front Desk supervisor/manager called Marriott in front of me and they were advised that their property did NOT qualify for the elite nights program. The response I received from one of the front desks was that they did not qualify because they were a franchise. I stand corrected based on your information..

Originally Posted by USirritated
(emphasis mine)

Sorry, but this information is incorrect. Marriott OWNS very few hotels directly, and is primarily a hotel branding, franchising, and management company. Almost all Marriott branded hotels are franchises, and are not "owned." However, many Marriott branded hotels are franchised hotels which do not also have a MI management contract, and are self managed or have contracts with other professional management companies, such as Interstate Hotels & Resorts. At any given time, MI typically owns no more than a range from less than 1% to as much as 3% of the Marriott portfolio, and typically, the higher percentages are only reached when MI buys another chain or portfolio of hotels, which is relatively rare. Ideally for MI, the preference is for hotels to not only be franchisees, but to also be MI managed. In most MI branded hotels, somewhere in the lobby, usually near the front desk, will be a plaque which announces the ownership (and sometimes the management too) of that particular hotel. In this way, each hotel has three parts of its "personality," ownership of the physical Real Estate, Marriott franchising/brand affiliation, and management. In order for a hotel to be publicly labeled as a Marriott, or Courtyard, or Residence Inn, etc., only one of these three parts is required, franchising/brand affiliation.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:59 pm

It's REALLY simple. There is a list on the Marriott website of the hotels that participate and it's most of them.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
It's REALLY simple. There is a list on the Marriott website of the hotels that participate and it's most of them.
+1
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, 3MM; Marriott Gold; Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
New Rewarding Event Earning Rules?

Has anyone yet booked multiple meetings this year? Did you receive 10 nights per meeting?

It looks like there has been a change, if I'm reading http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/rewards.mi correctly. Under the "Earn" section the last bullet point states:
Instant Silver Elite status or Elite Night credit towards your next level up

So if I was already Silver and working towards Gold/Platinum it seems that I would only get one elite night credit rather than the ten nights given in the past.

Has anyone experienced this in 2013?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by PANK KP
Has anyone yet booked multiple meetings this year? Did you receive 10 nights per meeting?

It looks like there has been a change, if I'm reading http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/rewards.mi correctly. Under the "Earn" section the last bullet point states:
Instant Silver Elite status or Elite Night credit towards your next level up

So if I was already Silver and working towards Gold/Platinum it seems that I would only get one elite night credit rather than the ten nights given in the past.

Has anyone experienced this in 2013?
Silver Elite requires 10 nights. Thus, if you book a meeting and receive the 10 nights, you instantly become Silver. Or, those 10 nights go towards your Gold/Plat qualification. No change as far as I can see.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The "10 Elite Nights when you book 10+ guest rooms for at least one night" can be confusing. I have had a few events in January and February, received 10 nights credit per event for January, February has not posted yet...
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by sammyindc
The "10 Elite Nights when you book 10+ guest rooms for at least one night" can be confusing. I have had a few events in January and February, received 10 nights credit per event for January, February has not posted yet...
I am bumping this to confirm that one continues to get 10 elite night credits for just booking meeting space and NO stay is required as it has been in the past.
The current language highlighted above in bold, seems to suggest a change in the policy. Did you get the February credits also!!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:25 am

I am bumping this to confirm that one continues to get 10 elite night credits for just booking meeting space and NO stay is required as it has been in the past.
The current language highlighted above in bold, seems to suggest a change in the policy. Did you get the February credits also!!
No night stay required:

SpringHill Suites xxxxxxxxx
Check-in: 02/25/2013 Check-out: 02/25/2013
Hotel saved Re-book Hotel REWARDING EVENTS POINTS 225
Total 225

At $75 a pop per "meeting" it is a nice way to meet those night requirements for LT Plat.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
There are two different programs. One for booking meeting space and one for booking rooms. Easy to confuse.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just had some events post and got 10 night credit for each event and none of them had sleeping rooms - all were meetings/ballrooms.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:27 pm

Thanks every one for the confirmation. I am going to need help retaining my PLAT so was hoping to add a few elite nights through this program.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.