FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

calitequilasippergirl Sep 3, 2010 9:36 am

Sorry, I don't believe in scamming the system. Most people earn their status with paid nights.

I took the liberty of contacting Marriott about this and this was NOT an intentional loophole. The purpose of this was to encourage REAL meeting planners to use Marriott properties for their needs, not for people to make fake meetings to earn nights at an extremely discounted rate. I am sure the loophole will close soon

mooper Sep 4, 2010 3:59 am

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl (Post 14597286)
Sorry, I don't believe in scamming the system. Most people earn their status with paid nights.

I took the liberty of contacting Marriott about this and this was NOT an intentional loophole. The purpose of this was to encourage REAL meeting planners to use Marriott properties for their needs, not for people to make fake meetings to earn nights at an extremely discounted rate. I am sure the loophole will close soon

Taking advantage of Marriott's offer is not scamming them any more than taking advantage of the many other offers identified within FT as the best way to maximize value through a particular program.

Though I'm not convinced that selling essentially pure-profit EQNs tied to an activity that is likely to spur much more high-margin revenue from the majority of incentivized participants is unintentional, I'll presume that Marriott really does regret their decision and I'll consider us lucky to have you policing their generosity.

While you're at it, you might want to keep a vigil for other offers companies make that might be too rich for their own good. Keep an eye on Mile Buzz and some of the blogs run by the more avid FTers and you'll get lots of hot leads. It's easy to find outlandish loopholes being scammed all the time, such as when thousands of bonus miles are earned for making minor purchases and filling out surveys. Oh, and don't overlook the forums dealing with mistake fares... it's a great way for you to contribute to a lubricated system where companies don't even need to watch their step because they can count on their customers to save the day.

On that note, I've noticed that the recent Megabonus offer might be a loophole they want to close. It's possible to purchase twenty $50 nights as a Platinum, stacking various discounts (gift card offers, cash back sites, etc.) to get the actual cash outlay down to about $40, and then earn 300 (arrival gift) + 2000 (Megabonus) + 250 (chase cc) + 750 (regular plus elite bonus earnings) on each night. This amounts to 3300 MR points, a free newspaper, breakfast, gym and pool use, and a place to stay, all for a measly $40 cash outlay, per night. Even if you completely throw out the value of the hotel (which certainly costs Marriott something to provide), the points alone are costing you only 1.21 cents each. You can then take those 3300 x 20 points, add them to others you accumulate similarly, and redeem them via a travel package when an airline that is being victimized by a 50-100% matching miles promo has an active offer. You can easily approach 2 cents per MR point in redemption value this way, even though you paid much less for them and got twenty nights of hotel use to boot. Most people pay far more per point and don't get nearly this value out of their Marriott spending. This is clearly a loophole by which Marriott could be scammed if someone is motivated enough, and they need to be made aware. Shall I take it upon myself to tell them, or will you?

jan_az Sep 4, 2010 3:56 pm

I took the liberty of contacting Marriott about this and this was NOT an intentional loophole.

You have got to be kidding me - though I have never done this - and didnt even get the nights/points on a legitimate catering event. I would never contact Marriot about it

Zurich Flyer Sep 4, 2010 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by stinger (Post 14570399)
Yes, points are based on the cost of the room and any F+B. Right now there is a double points promotion for meetings, triple if you pay with visa.

Do we have a link for the source?

I am not yet convinced that a "meeting" without at least ten rooms or without catering will give you anything at all.

Here are the German t&cs:

Allgemeine Geschäftsbedingungen ....Qualifizierte Veranstaltungen müssen mindestens 10 Übernachtungen für eine Nacht beinhalten (mit oder ohne Catering) oder Veranstalungen ausschließlich mit Catering.
That means in English

Terms and conditions .... Qualified events must include a minimum of 10 nights for a night (with or without catering) or events exclusively with catering.

Zurich Flyer Sep 4, 2010 5:28 pm

Another question: Why would you pay 800 $ for a status if you never sleep at a Marriott hotel?

In Europe, you pay around 200 $ at least per "meeting". That would make the Platinum status 1'600 $. The Gold status would cost you 1'000 $.

That's too much money simply for the status, isn't it? You can usually buy back your status at the beginning of the year. If I remember right, it was 25k for gold. That would be around 350 $ for 25'000 points = Gold status @:-)

boomdog Sep 4, 2010 5:37 pm

Someday, I hope that I will grow up to be a person of impeccable moral standards like you.

Until then, I'll just settle for not being a jerk.

bd
:D

MyTravels Sep 4, 2010 7:56 pm

I took the liberty of contacting Marriott about this and this was NOT an intentional loophole.

This must be a joke. Contacting Marriott?? C'mon, unless there's a whistle blower award (which I would hope legitimate offers wouldn't qualify for).

Even if that were to happen, why would someone brag about it??

boomdog Sep 4, 2010 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by MyTravels (Post 14604375)
This must be a joke. Contacting Marriott?? C'mon, unless there's a whistle blower award (which I would hope legitimate offers wouldn't qualify for).

Even if that were to happen, why would someone brag about it??

Yeah, you must be right. Color me red!

:o

dalm Sep 4, 2010 8:34 pm

Can't believe you would do that. Shame on you. This is FT.

mapu Sep 5, 2010 7:33 am

:td::td::td: shame on you

mogulskiir Sep 5, 2010 7:54 am

:td::td::td: Why do you even read FT? I hope you feel good. Possibly every time you get an upgrade or something you should call the person who gave you its supervisor so you can get them in trouble too.

This is not scamming, it is using a promotion to get something in return. If you didn't pay for a meeting and got the points that would be a scam. I can't believe you actually posted and did what you said. :td:

I'm sure Marriott makes a profit off meetings, hence why they give you credit for paying for them. Duh

jfhscott Sep 5, 2010 9:16 am

I so much wish to have shared my elementary school playground with you.

I would like to know with whom you spoke at Marriott. Was it someone who actually had authority to speak with respect to Marriott's "intent"? Or was it one of their lovely customer service agents?

One of the most fundamental rules of contract law is that the intent of the parties is presumptively manifested in the written terms they use. Indeed, when those terms are unambiguous, the presumption is not rebuttable.

I don't even know why the term "loophole" gets used here.

Rather "opportunity" would seem more appropriate. Marriott wrote the terms and conditions. They are all big boys and girls well experienced in their industry, and I will trust them to take care of themselves.

zakami Sep 5, 2010 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by jfhscott (Post 14606103)
I so much wish to have shared my elementary school playground with you.

I would like to know with whom you spoke at Marriott. Was it someone who actually had authority to speak with respect to Marriott's "intent"? Or was it one of their lovely customer service agents?

One of the most fundamental rules of contract law is that the intent of the parties is presumptively manifested in the written terms they use. Indeed, when those terms are unambiguous, the presumption is not rebuttable.

I don't even know why the term "loophole" gets used here.

Rather "opportunity" would seem more appropriate. Marriott wrote the terms and conditions. They are all big boys and girls well experienced in their industry, and I will trust them to take care of themselves.

^^

skynerd Sep 6, 2010 2:12 am

Looks like elite nights do not require "actualizing" 10 room nights

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer (Post 14587720)
It might be a loophole. As mentioned in post #4 above the FAQ states that rooms must "actualize" with the meeting in order to earn elite credit:

https://www.marriott.com/Multimedia/...Events_FAQ.pdf

Since it appears that folks have been earning Elite Credit without booking rooms this would be the type of thing that MR could want to correct (oops -- did I say that out loud?).

Thank you PHLGovFlyer for posting the actual URL, in which I have failed to find such a restriction on earning elite nights. Only the earnings on miles and points seem to be restricted: "Note: the room block must actualize with at least 10 rooms on one night to earn points or miles." [my bold]

That said, as I understand it, the elite nights are not an entitlement to stay at a hotel for free, just a reduction in how many nights you need to earn the various elite levels.

PHLGovFlyer Sep 6, 2010 5:31 am

Originally Posted by skynerd (Post 14609125)
Thank you PHLGovFlyer for posting the actual URL, in which I have failed to find such a restriction on earning elite nights. Only the earnings on miles and points seem to be restricted: "Note: the room block must actualize with at least 10 rooms on one night to earn points or miles." [my bold]

The language in the T&Cs is vague. Hence my use of the word "might" in my OP. The pdf states:

What type of meetings and events qualify to earn points or miles?
Any member that has a signed Group Sales Agreement or Contract qualifies.
This includes all room blocks, social events, meetings, etc.
Note: the room block must actualize with at least 10 rooms on one night to earn points or miles
And later it states:

Can I earn Elite status by booking meetings and events with Marriott?
Yes. Members earn 10 Elite Nights with every group, meeting or event in addition to the points or miles earned. Elite Nights will be posted to the member’s account along with the points or miles after the event has occurred at the hotel, and thus are combined with the Elite Nights earned for individual hotel paid stays toward your Elite status.
By my reading it is fairly clear that you must "actualize" the 10 rooms in order to receive points or miles. What is not entirely clear from the second paragraph is the meaning of "in addition to". Does MR intend to grant the 10 elite nights regardless of rooms "actualized"? Or is it an unintended oversight (IOW "loophole") on their part? Frankly I don't think any of us can say for certain based on the pdf.

Originally Posted by skynerd (Post 14609125)
That said, as I understand it, the elite nights are not an entitlement to stay at a hotel for free, just a reduction in how many nights you need to earn the various elite levels.

Correct.