FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

deannaC Aug 30, 2010 6:54 pm

I need 3 meetings i,e $300 to make plat :D plus triple points with visa ^

dgwright99 Aug 30, 2010 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 14574379)
...(don't they usually have a projector) ...

Last time I booked a meeting the charge for the projector was more than the charge for the room....

IME projector is typically an extra, and most hotels really milk the extras.

VickiSoCal Aug 30, 2010 7:28 pm

If you know anyone who is involved in local charities or civic organizations- why not see if they need a meeting space for some event? Book it for them and write it off as a donation. I'm the area coordinator for Girl Scouts around here and we always have adult trainings and other such events that we need meeting space for.

vilntrav Aug 30, 2010 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by martig4 (Post 14574421)
Rooms for an hour or two can be had at both Courtyard's and full-service properties in most areas for very reasonable rates.

Don't ask for more than a standard setup in the room and book for a small number of people.

A private individual (not a company) could take a room for two hours a few times to get Platinum, and I need to stay many nights ?

Maybe one of those loopholes which will disappear now that it is displayed on FT

annerj Aug 31, 2010 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by vilntrav (Post 14575384)
A private individual (not a company) could take a room for two hours a few times to get Platinum, and I need to stay many nights ?

sounds that way....but why would that matter to you?

vilntrav Aug 31, 2010 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by annerj (Post 14581958)
sounds that way....but why would that matter to you?

It matters to me if it really works because then I'll be entering this game also.

ttpld100105 Aug 31, 2010 10:33 pm

Any FTers in the Bay Area who want to schedule some "meetings"? :-)

gardener Sep 1, 2010 6:49 am

Do the nights count toward Megabonus?

mooper Sep 1, 2010 11:24 am

The thread title should be "Platinum Status for $300/year". If you apply for the Chase Marriott Visa Sig Prem card in January, you'll get 15 nights. Then, get six $100 meetings, earn 10 EQNs a pop, and you'll have 75 nights and therefore Platinum status. Do this right in the beginning of the year and your status will last for about two years. Net cost: $300/year for Platinum. If you earn points for the $600 spend, your effective cost is even lower.

Want to take it further? If you have (or will soon have) 12 years of membership under your belt and you have enough lifetime points to qualify, but you are short on nights for Lifetime Platinum, you could quickly rack up nights via these meetings and then have them count double towards your Lifetime total when they roll over to 2011.

pinniped Sep 1, 2010 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by vilntrav (Post 14575384)

Maybe one of those loopholes which will disappear now that it is displayed on FT

It's not a loophole: it's an intentional part of Marriott's meeting room offering (coupled with an intentional promotion).

I like the charity idea. I still think this is visible enough that booking dummy meetings or just showing up alone might be frowned upon by the hotel. I suspect they could legally refuse your payment and cancel the meeting if they felt like you were gaming the system.

Of course, offering up a meeting room for a local charity would be perfectly legit, even if the hotel suspected you were after the EQN more than good karma. Some small nonprofits hold their board meetings wherever they can space for free. (Restaurants, clubs, member's office conference rooms after hours, whatever.) It shouldn't be hard to find someone willing to accept a sponsored regular timeslot at a Marriott. :)

annerj Sep 1, 2010 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by vilntrav (Post 14582024)
It matters to me if it really works because then I'll be entering this game also.

Sorry....I read it as you wanted the loophole closed/didn't like that "others" could do it.

annerj Sep 1, 2010 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 14586079)
I still think this is visible enough that booking dummy meetings or just showing up alone might be frowned upon by the hotel. I suspect they could legally refuse your payment and cancel the meeting if they felt like you were gaming the system.

I can't imagine them trying to cancel. If its booked and paid for, IMO, the hotel doesn't care how many/who shows up.

PHLGovFlyer Sep 1, 2010 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 14586079)
It's not a loophole: it's an intentional part of Marriott's meeting room offering (coupled with an intentional promotion).

It might be a loophole. As mentioned in post #4 above the FAQ states that rooms must "actualize" with the meeting in order to earn elite credit:

https://www.marriott.com/Multimedia/...Events_FAQ.pdf

Since it appears that folks have been earning Elite Credit without booking rooms this would be the type of thing that MR could want to correct (oops -- did I say that out loud?).

blackhat_3_6 Sep 1, 2010 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer (Post 14587720)
It might be a loophole. As mentioned in post #4 above the FAQ states that rooms must "actualize" with the meeting in order to earn elite credit:

https://www.marriott.com/Multimedia/...Events_FAQ.pdf

Since it appears that folks have been earning Elite Credit without booking rooms this would be the type of thing that MR could want to correct (oops -- did I say that out loud?).

The program details PDF contains this quote:

Planning a Meeting or Event Has Its Rewards With Marriott RewardsŪ Rewarding EventsTM you earn valuable Marriott Rewards points for groups, meetings and events you hold at participating MarriottŪ hotels around the world. From conferences to business meetings and social events, you qualify to earn Marriott Rewards points by booking 10 or more guest rooms for at least one night. Points can also be earned for catering-only events like teleconferencing, receptions, banquets, weddings and reunions. Simply sign a group or catering contract with the hotel, and as a member of Marriott Rewards you will earn Marriott Rewards points or, if you prefer, airline miles.
https://www.marriott.com/Multimedia/...am_details.pdf

I haven't held a meeting myself but it sounds to me like everything is on the up and up and there isn't any loophole that needs plugging.

pmaddock Sep 2, 2010 10:55 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 14574663)
If you know anyone who is involved in local charities or civic organizations- why not see if they need a meeting space for some event? Book it for them and write it off as a donation. I'm the area coordinator for Girl Scouts around here and we always have adult trainings and other such events that we need meeting space for.

Its a nice thought but anyone doing this had better plan on supervising it in some way. Chances are that you would be responsible for any damages and/or any extra's billed (some places will charge if they ask for more chairs and so on).