Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by enthrop
Are folks finding that they generally get lower rates if they request a quote, versus finding properties with a quote readily provided? Most the properties I'm finding are $125-$200 for 1 hr... wondering if I'll get much cheaper if I start hitting the "request a quote" button and speak to someone.

$125 seems pretty cheap to me, so it depends on your definition of cheap. I did have one meeting where I ended up getting a quote and it was $100 more than what was online. When I pointed that out, the event manager quickly matched.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: BA, Marriott & SPG, Hilton, Avis
Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
Completed a few meetings at a property in Mexico and they're now telling me they can't post the points due to the meetings not being over $100?

"Total Revenue Meeting not met" is the message they're getting on the Tool when they try to post the points (the $100 was told to them on the phone).

Anybody run into this issue before?
I've had a $75 1-hour Sunday no-show meeting in the US post (points and 10 nights) within a few days of the meeting. This was booked directly through the Marriott website, without any signed contract with the hotel.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:52 am

Does the aug 18 date mean that meetings dont need to be done before aug 1st now?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:07 am

I've read here how you guys are getting meetings for $75, 60, even sub-40 dollar ones post without issue....even as recently as this month. Thanks.

Hopefully the person at that property finally figures out what needs to be done to correctly post points/nights...I've seen a partial screenshot, seems to be the Group Posting Tool indeed...but not much else to go with besides that "Total Revenue Meeting not met" message.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by slidey
Does the aug 18 date mean that meetings dont need to be done before aug 1st now?
Only a guess. Also, keep in mind if you're doing your first and only one, then you have till the end of the year. That is presuming they don come out and announce only one (a year?) will earn the 10 nights.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: Delta: P, American: PP, Marriott: P/LTG, SPG: P, Hilton: G, Hertz: PC, National: E
Originally Posted by callmedtop
What percentage of you guys are no-showing your meetings? I have two scheduled (and paid for!) this week but won’t be able to make it to either. Both are quick 1-hour meetings. This comment from the events coordinator got me a bit nervous: “Rewards points will be entered at the conclusion of the meeting.”.
100% of my meetings were no show and I did more than 5. From the hotel's perspective, you're the person booking the meeting (like an office admin or exec assistant). You've paid so they don't care if you show up or not if it's only an hour meeting.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:39 pm

So this is interesting. Did a $100 booking online. Never got a response. Showed up and they seem surprised to see me but eventually unlocked the conference room door and let me in. I'm honestly curious if they'll process anything or if they think I'm just some crazy guy who walked in for an hour and they humored me.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta: P, American: PP, Marriott: P/LTG, SPG: P, Hilton: G, Hertz: PC, National: E
Did your credit card show a pending charge? If it doesn't then chances are low that it's in their system
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:47 pm

Doesn't look like it.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:49 pm

Thanks to this thread I've achieved Marriott Lifetime Platinum! Thank you all for your insight. I've been trying to respond to PMs about $75 meeting properties but I think I'm only allowed to send 5 PMs a day because I'm new. If you have any questions feel free to reach out... I've booked many meetings and all of them have had the nights/points post.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:52 pm

DELETED

Last edited by teammoney; Jul 27, 2018 at 3:55 pm Reason: need to delete, didn't quote sender
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Doesn't look like it.
The property likely didn't put the meeting in the system then. That happened to me for one property. I didn't get charged, and didn't get credit. All of the other properties I booked at at least sent me an email.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by nick793
Not for lifetime status. I was mainly looking at it so I could get 5 more SNAs, the United status, and banking on the hope that Marriott does a soft-landing (since I can probably requalify for Gold easily but Plat 75 wouldn't be feasible long-term).
Before holding two more meetings, you might want to read about a pertinent issue on the Starwood Forum. You get the SNAs when you reach 75 nights, not because you are P75. The Lurker has indicated if you enter the new program at 75 or more nights, you might not get the SNAs. He indicated it is being discussed, giving the SNAs to those already past 75 nights, but it would be a shame to pay money for two meetings so you get the SNAs and then find out you don't. You should read about the issue to decide whether that is a chance you want to take.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:31 pm

I finally finished 13 meetings, all booked through the Rewarding Events website. The first one on June 11 still hasn't posted correctly. I attended, and they charged me. I initially wanted to do all the meetings there, but I moved on to places that actually post. I have had to contact a few other hotels a few weeks after meetings to get the nights credited, and they did eventually. Most of my meetings were $50 or $75. I only needed 12, but had an extra one just in case the first hotel doesn't ever post (I've contacted Marriott and the hotel several times to no avail). I'm very grateful for everything I've learned on this thread. My SPG lifetime Platinum status has been great, but I would have been sad if I'd been so close and missed out on LTPP. I was very happy to find this thread and learn about this Marriott way to earn nights before the merge.
karenkay likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:33 pm

Long time lurker in this thread, first time poster. Thought I would provide some metrics from my experiences. I needed only 28 nights (already >2M points).

I went with three different hotels in my area and got three different experiences.

tl;dr version: awards posted anywhere from 20 hours to 20 days, one without awards clause in contract. Never had to contact Marriott Rewards for help.

Hotel 1:
Springhill Suites, booked conference room for one hour at $55, about $76 AI. Did not have contract clause, contract very different than example at beginning of thread. I got confirmation from SS rep, made sure I did this on email, I would get the elite nights credit. She manually entered MR and put into system. Credit posted 20 calendar days after meeting date.

Hotel 2:
Fairfield Inn. Room was $100 for an hour, $135 AI. This did have the specific contract language as mentioned in thread. Credit posted 20 hours after meeting. Further reference: This meeting was the next day after the first one.

Hotel 3:
Courtyard. Room was also $100 for an hour, $135 AI. This contract had a space for the MR number, but it wasn’t laid out the same way as the example as the beginning of this thread. From meeting to posting, it was 23 days, but I think the person who was in charge of doing it was on vacation after my meeting. I think in reality it was 14 calendar days after she entered the info in the tool. This person also may have run into another customer doing the same or is familiar with this thread, becuase she pro-actively mentioned “this is an already discounted rate” and she mentioned “group posting tool,” whereas I never brought either subject up. Nonetheless, the credit posted last night and I crossed into LTP.

Side notes:
Only the second hotel went “bang bang.” I got the email 20 hours after the meeting, and it was in my account right there when I opened it. First and third were slightly different, I would get the email, but look in the Marriott App and the nights weren’t there yet. In both situations, the credit showed up in the app in about 12-18 hours. I did appear at each meeting, but don’t feel I really needed to. Despite many reports of successful no-shows, I showed just to make sure.

Side side note:
When I got the email last night about the final credit needed, I went into the Marriott App and the number of nights did not change. but my status did change from Gold to Plat. Waking up this morning, the number of nights both in annual count and LT changed.

I did different hotels to avoid snafus and for a little karma so I could report different experiences. Wanted to give back for the small push needed I got here to get to LTP before August 1st.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.