Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, UA 1k, BR gold
still looking to book these meetings myself. if anyone has lead, please PM.
someone mentioned earlier in the thread that you have to offer some info for folks to be willing to help out... since i'm not able to get anything booked so far, all i can offer is that i tried to email/call most of the marriotts around DC and Northern Virginia and the cheapest so far i found is $200 for the day and they are not willing to do shorter meeting. most DC properties are looking for $800+ (maybe this will save some folks from going through the same email/phone calls)
hoping for the baltimore folks to get back to me sooner than later.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
FYI: For three contracts signed before August 1 but for after August 1, corporate Marriott has agreed to honor the terms of Rewarding Events as they existed at the time of signing (aka 10 nights per contract).
(bolding mine)

only for three events? while scanning the thread, I originally read this as “for these contracts signed before August 1...” I realize this is from an email you received personally, hockeyinsider, but want to be sure I have the gist of what you were told. for three events, you’ll get credit under the current terms (10 nights per meeting), for anything over that it’s the terms of the new program. As you understand it, is that correct? Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by aba_bab
I have the opportunity to shoot for platinum for the year and it will be easier for me if i book a meeting 2 days in a row at the same property. Does anyone have a feel for if that will be risky? If i just ask for two separate contracts - would i be ok to receive 10 nights for each meeting (assuming all else is done correctly?)
The only risk is if they property chooses to combine the two meetings into one booking in the Group Posting Tool. Make sure to impress upon them to NOT combine them.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by karenkay

(bolding mine)

only for three events? while scanning the thread, I originally read this as “for these contracts signed before August 1...” I realize this is from an email you received personally, hockeyinsider, but want to be sure I have the gist of what you were told. for three events, you’ll get credit under the current terms (10 nights per meeting), for anything over that it’s the terms of the new program. As you understand it, is that correct? Thanks.
No. I have three contracts signed for three events. Marriott will honor these three events based on the terms as they existed at the time of signing. I was told they also honor any other event contracts signed before August 1 under the old terms even if the event is held after August 1.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by arthur -- flyer wanna be
still looking to book these meetings myself. if anyone has lead, please PM.
someone mentioned earlier in the thread that you have to offer some info for folks to be willing to help out... since i'm not able to get anything booked so far, all i can offer is that i tried to email/call most of the marriotts around DC and Northern Virginia and the cheapest so far i found is $200 for the day and they are not willing to do shorter meeting. most DC properties are looking for $800+ (maybe this will save some folks from going through the same email/phone calls)
hoping for the baltimore folks to get back to me sooner than later.
Looking online, I'm seeing the Springhill Suites Centreville Chantilly for 250 (day) or 125 (1 hr). Friday, July 27.
If the Marriott Meetings website is showing you daily rates for a particular property, you don't have to negotiate anything unless you are trying to go cheaper than 50% of the posted daily rate.
Alternate between different properties each day to avoid consecutive meetings lumped together.
Of course, common sense prevails -- Marriott properties in an urban location will always be more expensive, even on the weekends. Pick something out by the airport or farther.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
No. I have three contracts signed for three events. Marriott will honor these three events based on the terms as they existed at the time of signing. I was told they also honor any other event contracts signed before August 1 under the old terms even if the event is held after August 1.
got it. this makes sense, and that's what i thought you were saying, but wanted to confirm what you'd been told, thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive, Hertz 5 Star
Finally made my first event booking. My event manager didn't know anything about the program and emphasized that she would record the transaction on the "tool" she normally uses. I am going to take my chance and hopefully everything will post correctly.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
It worked fine for me a few years ago when I tried this. I was able to find a meeting room for $50 per half hour (or hour i can't remember), one day per week. I suggest calling around to various smaller properties in the middle of nowhere that have a meeting room that's never used.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
I was told they also honor any other event contracts signed before August 1 under the old terms even if the event is held after August 1.
Let's start signing contracts for meetings in 2019?!
pewpew likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Do you have any written reply from Marriott regarding this? They can pretty much say whatever they want and if there's no written documentation they can pretty much deny everything.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mroseman13
Let's start signing contracts for meetings in 2019?!
That thought has crossed my mind as well...
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Is there any suggestion at all that the offer terms & conditions will be changing?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Is there any suggestion at all that the offer terms & conditions will be changing?
Lots of guesses, just read upthread. Any official announcement, no.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
Do you have any written reply from Marriott regarding this? They can pretty much say whatever they want and if there's no written documentation they can pretty much deny everything.
No need to deny anything. They can just change the T&C's without notice at their sole discretion. I wouldn't be signing anything post August conversion myself nor book any meetings I couldn't complete and have posted by the end of the month. It is pretty clear that Marriott will be closing this loophole. I don't think it was ever their intention to promote and reward no-show meetings. Limiting earned stays from meetings and Credit Cards is a great way to get things back on track. Levels the playing field.

James
yeunganson likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:07 pm

Had my first BEO event on Saturday post yesterday...just need one more of Plat 75 so I e-mail to set it up and cost for a day meeting at the site jumped from $50 to $300 but they'll let me do it for $150. Sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.