Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I have already booked a couple of $125 meetings and expect to book a few more as I not taking any chances with new program.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Perhaps it's 100% luck, but it took me less than an hour to find multiple hotels with $75 ish rates that are bookable online. One has more than once reliably posted the 10 elite nights 2-3 days after the supposed meeting.
I would love to know where I can book $50-75 meetings online with a signed written contract (the only way to guarantee that you will receive 10 EQN per meeting). Last time I checked, all of the properties in the bay area require submission of a form which then generates a lead for call from a hotel events coordinator. And I have yet to see find any properties within a 100 mile radius with meeting rooms <$200.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:05 pm

If I use the Rewarding Events online tool for a hotel that offers a specific price ($100) do I also need to get the "signed contract" you all are talking about?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:16 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I have already booked a couple of $125 meetings and expect to book a few more as I not taking any chances with new program.

I would love to know where I can book $50-75 meetings online with a signed written contract (the only way to guarantee that you will receive 10 EQN per meeting). Last time I checked, all of the properties in the bay area require submission of a form which then generates a lead for call from a hotel events coordinator. And I have yet to see find any properties within a 100 mile radius with meeting rooms <$200.
Why are you looking in the Bay Area? There is no need to show up.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by jbarm
As a follow up to my prior posts...

Finally contacted the Admin who does the posting. Said there was a problem posting and they just gave me the points.

Also asserted that once the entry was made into the posting tool that they couldn't do any edits. I'm wondering if they gave the credit to someone else.

Since I have a low rate per meeting, I might have to just eat the cost of the meeting and make sure they do it right next time.
Sorry to hear this, not fun! But for reference, I had meetings post incorrectly in the past and then they were able to edit it, so I'm not sure how true their statement is. They may be able to cancel/revoke the old posting and create a new one, although it seems like the property isn't very willing.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
If I use the Rewarding Events online tool for a hotel that offers a specific price ($100) do I also need to get the "signed contract" you all are talking about?
YMMV. One hotel asked me to return an electronically signed contract. Another didn't but the nights posted quickly...
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:05 pm

Do we have any definitive guidance on whether or not the 10 nights/meeting will continue post Aug?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:10 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Do we have any definitive guidance on whether or not the 10 nights/meeting will continue post Aug?
No, we do not.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
It does look like it will continue for at least one "first" meeting a year. Every meeting is not known, but I'm sure many are hopeful. Lots of holes and all we can do is wait until more details are released.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DealAddict
Signed 2 contracts with different properties... My card still hasn't been charged despite being asked for CC authorization form, I wonder if they just decided not to charge it because I didn't show up?
I haven't been charged until after my meeting for any of mine, three different properties
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Boraxo

I'd be happy to just have property that I knew 100% I would get credit for my meetings. I have had 2 never post correctly and with the exception of one property I have always shown up.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver, Hertz Presidents
Getting quoted $350 per meeting plus fees all-in at $470/shot at same prop another poster here said they got for $33! Boy do I feel like a loser. I'm told (by sales mgr) that no meeting space, in OC, is less than $250 + fees so finding $100 is apparently a steal if you don't know the ropes, which I do not. What a dope. Sitting here holed up in a FPS here in CT with my wife and dog miserable just trying to get our 500 done for SPG LTP. Just learned about this and to get to LTPP is $10K ou of pocket. Boy I never saw this nightmare coming.... Tried sourcing meeting rooms in the $100 range here in the NE area (canvassed on phone all day to no avail) and resorted to the CA property noted up-thread but apparently they see sucker written all over my forehead. Yeeeesh.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
The hotel is very likely to ask that of you. So for I've done "Reserve" (price listed on Rewarding Events website) events, and in each case the hotel sent me Banquet Event Orders or such that I needed to sign (for two hotels, electronic signing was possible, the third I needed to print and scan).

So your question would only apply if a hotel doesn't send you that. I don't know how how often that happens for a "Reserve" hotel. You got answer from someone above for whom the nights posted at hone hotel that didn't send such a contract, but that doesn't prove it always happens.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by olindacat
Getting quoted $350 per meeting plus fees all-in at $470/shot at same prop another poster here said they got for $33! Boy do I feel like a loser. I'm told (by sales mgr) that no meeting space, in OC, is less than $250 + fees so finding $100 is apparently a steal if you don't know the ropes, which I do not. What a dope. Sitting here holed up in a FPS here in CT with my wife and dog miserable just trying to get our 500 done for SPG LTP. Just learned about this and to get to LTPP is $10K ou of pocket. Boy I never saw this nightmare coming.... Tried sourcing meeting rooms in the $100 range here in the NE area (canvassed on phone all day to no avail) and resorted to the CA property noted up-thread but apparently they see sucker written all over my forehead. Yeeeesh.

Hard to day for sure but I suspect that MANY of the lower cost properties are being inundated with these meetings and might very well be that they only have larger meetings rooms left on many meetings. Especially if they are mentioned here on this thread

I know my go to hotel has seen a HUGE increase of meetings to the point the mmeeting coordinator seems VERY stressed out 😟

I FOUND 100$ meetings at only 3 OC hotels when I looked but now with a few weeks of confirmed meetings left (before possible rumored devaluation/change) they might be hard to find!
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by olindacat
In case it's not obvious, you need to book really short meetings - 1 hour max - weekends are often cheaper. Use the online tool, then enter into the cheapest hotels and reduce the time element.

You also can look further afield, if you're willing to do a "no show" meeting. From what I gather from this thread, this is very little difference between actual / no show meetings when it comes to the hotel processing your 10 nights correctly.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:49 am
stc

Originally Posted by craigthemif
In case it's not obvious, you need to book really short meetings - 1 hour max - weekends are often cheaper. Use the online tool, then enter into the cheapest hotels and reduce the time element.

You also can look further afield, if you're willing to do a "no show" meeting. From what I gather from this thread, this is very little difference between actual / no show meetings when it comes to the hotel processing your 10 nights correctly.
I would also suggest looking at 6 AM (for 1 hour).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.