Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rustykettel
Wiki Link
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 30, 18, 11:31 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Originally Posted by lexdevil View Post
While the "By holding just one meeting" language might imply the "first meeting" idea has been around for a while, the "1 meeting or event = 10 Elite night credits" noted at the bottom doesn't indicate any restriction on the number of meetings that can earn 10 nights elite credit. So unless you can help me find the word "first" in this document, I don't think it is evidence that this language has been used previously.
As I pointed out, the language has changed but the idea that getting Silver status is a valuable marketing tool for Marriott has been around for at least eight years. They didn't all of a sudden make this point so as to signal a limit in nights being credited. You are reading the word "first" to fit in with your preconceived notion that Marriott is signaling a change where it can very well be they are just trying to let people who plan meetings know they get elite status with the first meeting. The person Marriott is marketing to is not a FT Plat looking to get some extra nights, it is a non-traveling office worker who will think this is a great benefit for the two times a year he/she stays in a hotel. Nowhere does anything say that word is meant to limit something that is not even mentioned on the page. All of that is being brought into the interpretation, not being read from the page.

I have read back through pages of posts and there seems to be nothing on this thread indicating what blogger was told that there would be not ten nights past the first meeting. There are posters who become more alarmist and start calling this a "strong rumor" and you can see posters feeding on each other as this gets whipped into a reliable fact, but there is no mention of which blogger first reported it. Add to that the fact that none of the more popular bloggers seem to be reporting this (PG, VFTW, BI) there just seems to be lots of smoke but no fire. While I will stand by recommending anyone complete meetings by Aug 1 out of an abundance of caution, there just seems to be little actual proof that this change exists.
cruisr and DealAddict like this.
Old Jun 30, 18, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat, WN A
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
As I pointed out, the language has changed but the idea that getting Silver status is a valuable marketing tool for Marriott has been around for at least eight years. They didn't all of a sudden make this point so as to signal a limit in nights being credited. You are reading the word "first" to fit in with your preconceived notion that Marriott is signaling a change where it can very well be they are just trying to let people who plan meetings know they get elite status with the first meeting. The person Marriott is marketing to is not a FT Plat looking to get some extra nights, it is a non-traveling office worker who will think this is a great benefit for the two times a year he/she stays in a hotel. Nowhere does anything say that word is meant to limit something that is not even mentioned on the page. All of that is being brought into the interpretation, not being read from the page.

I have read back through pages of posts and there seems to be nothing on this thread indicating what blogger was told that there would be not ten nights past the first meeting. There are posters who become more alarmist and start calling this a "strong rumor" and you can see posters feeding on each other as this gets whipped into a reliable fact, but there is no mention of which blogger first reported it. Add to that the fact that none of the more popular bloggers seem to be reporting this (PG, VFTW, BI) there just seems to be lots of smoke but no fire. While I will stand by recommending anyone complete meetings by Aug 1 out of an abundance of caution, there just seems to be little actual proof that this change exists.
I don't think it is clear either way, and I agree that those who are relying on multiple Rewarding Events to achieve status should do so before August, just in case. I also think it is very possible that what Marriott intends by this language and what actually happens in practice are two very different things.

At the same time, I don't think this language is just for non-traveling office workers. It is, after all, on the website where Marriott is sharing information with its current members.
https://members.marriott.com/rewarding-events/
Old Jun 30, 18, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
It might not be true, but if someone is planning to hold meetings to make status it would be better to be done by Aug 1 and find out it is not true than to have waited and find out it is true and you are too late to plan your no-show meetings.
I don't see what' "no show" has to do with it. The fear is that it might be too late to plan any meeting for you which you were going to pay a Marriott family hotel mainly n order to get 10 elite nights.

Some people like me do show-up for meetings which aren't really meetings (i Just there an use the internet for 45 minutes or whatever). But some people have very real meetings that they could book cheaper somewhere else, but they choose to book through Marriott Rewards Events solely because of the 10 elite nights (ie, they're not "manufacturing" meetings, they're "shifting" meetings that would happen anyway to Marriott Rewards Events).

The meetings I've claimed to have been doing, with just 2 people who only need a table and two chairs, could have been done at a community center, an unoccupied restaurant, etc, if 10 elite nights weren't involved. (Of course, I was the only one who actually showed up; the "2" was just the minimum number of people at the event the Rewards Events site needs to see.)

I have no idea how many of these "minimal" kinds of meetings hotels book without people looking for 10 elite nights. But if they take that away, those hotels might lose out on most such bookings.
Old Jul 1, 18, 4:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
just wanted to post an update of my experience so far....i had the meeting about 5 weeks ago & waited for a couple of weeks for the event to post....i followed up when it didn't & was told that i would get the points but not the elite night credit....they made a bunch of excuses like having a minimum spend or not booking 1 room as a minimum but refused to give the elite nights credit....i asked them to use the group posting tool but never got conformation whether they did....

the points for the meeting finally posted yesterday but as expected i did not receive the elite night credit....i followed up with the property & they refused to credit the nights....i called marriott & spoke with an agent who had no clue about the program & finally transferred me over to a supervisor who herself was not aware of the benefits of the program....she kept repeating that i had to book 10 rooms as a minimum with my meeting in order to get the elite nights....i just hung up & called again....this time i got another agent who was clueless but her supervisor seemed to know what i was talking about....she created a case number & said someone would get back to me in 2-3 working days....

if the nights don't post now then i'm not going to follow up anymore....its just not worth spending more time on this....but its unfortunate for the property since i don't want to use them for any future events now....they are losing out on 2-3 events per month from my firm....
I don't know how many times people have to say it on here but PROPERTIES DO NOT POST THE NIGHTS. PERIOD.
Old Jul 1, 18, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I don't know how many times people have to say it on here but PROPERTIES DO NOT POST THE NIGHTS. PERIOD.
i don't know how many times people have to say it here but IF PROPERTIES DO NOT USE THE GROUP POSTING TOOL THEN EVEN MARRIOTT WON'T POST THE NIGHTS....PERIOD....
Old Jul 1, 18, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
i don't know how many times people have to say it here but IF PROPERTIES DO NOT USE THE GROUP POSTING TOOL THEN EVEN MARRIOTT WON'T POST THE NIGHTS....PERIOD....
Very true... Asking the property anything about what MR does is a lost cause. Their attention is focused on what they do and not what happens outside their office. All too often people will stop at the point of where they can say no to a request. Learning how to ask and what not to say will get you further towards your goal. Keep the request simple and phrased in an way that saying yes is in their favor is best.
Old Jul 1, 18, 4:45 pm

The FAQ of this post says 3-15 business days for the elite nights to post after the meeting. Has anyone done this recently and seen their nights post?
Old Jul 1, 18, 4:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Gold
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07 View Post
The FAQ of this post says 3-15 business days for the elite nights to post after the meeting. Has anyone done this recently and seen their nights post?
Yes
Old Jul 1, 18, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by JfromTheBay View Post
Yes
I guess I was curious on the average length of time people are seeing.
Old Jul 1, 18, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I have one that never posted (but I never got charged, and it was more expensive than later ones I booked...so I am going to let that one slide)

Another one I had to ask them to use the GPT when nothing happened after 2 weeks
Old Jul 1, 18, 6:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I've encountered 2 properties (coincidentally both are full service Marriotts) whose policy was to post points 10 business days after the charge goes through. Whereas I found another property (Springhill Suites) who is happy to post points the next day. Guess who's been getting the bulk of my meetings?
Old Jul 1, 18, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Gold
Usually, its posted as soon as im charged. I can see it within the same day of charge
Old Jul 1, 18, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then why do my confirmation email of points posting from Marriott usually say Group Posting Tool in the email subject but one of them didn't say Group Posting Tool, and yet all of them (including the one that didn't mention Group Posting Tool in the email) posted the 10 nights at the same time as the points?

Why would Marriott generate different looking emails if the postings were all done the same way?

The hotel which caused Marriott to generate the different looking email is also the one which had different looking forms for me to sign (3 that had to be signed by hand instead of 1 that could be signed electronically), and wouldn't answer the question about whether they use the Group Booking Tool after I asked why they claim it can take 10 days to get the points.

So are you sure that there's no other way that a hotel can post the meeting that generates the 10 nights automatically?
Old Jul 1, 18, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Then why do my confirmation email of points posting from Marriott usually say Group Posting Tool in the email subject but one of them didn't say Group Posting Tool, and yet all of them (including the one that didn't mention Group Posting Tool in the email) posted the 10 nights at the same time as the points?

Why would Marriott generate different looking emails if the postings were all done the same way?

The hotel which caused Marriott to generate the different looking email is also the one which had different looking forms for me to sign (3 that had to be signed by hand instead of 1 that could be signed electronically), and wouldn't answer the question about whether they use the Group Booking Tool after I asked why they claim it can take 10 days to get the points.

So are you sure that there's no other way that a hotel can post the meeting that generates the 10 nights automatically?
i have very little experience here but i did ask a colleague at my firm what her confirmation emails look like....she has been booking meetings with marriott for years....she said her confirmation emails are always titled 'award posted: meetings & events group posting tool' whereas the email i received was titled 'bonus confirmation'....also, she said that when the activity posts to her account then it states 'reward' as the type of activity....my activity states 'bonus'....

in my opinion this means that the property did not use the group posting tool but rather just credited the points to me as a bonus....
Old Jul 1, 18, 9:05 pm

Programs: BonVoy Au, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
It's totally property dependent & by manual action (the Group Posting tool) by them.

I've had one property run the charge on Monday after a weekend meeting & post points the same day. I've had other properties take 2 months to post points.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: