Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rustykettel
Wiki Link
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 29, 18, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat, WN A
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
No, they have been using "the first" language in places, too. And the bottom line is they are using it now yet members are still getting credit for subsequent meetings. Maybe the language was always intended to be applicable for a change or maybe not. There is a difference between being aware and looking to see if there might be a change versus the insisting that has been whipped up. Again, a best practice is to be squared away by Aug 1 in case there is a change, but avoid claiming there will be a change until we know.
That's why I asked to see the old language. I don't remember seeing "first" previously.

Am I correct, at least, that the additional elite night per 20 room nights is new?

None of us know what is going to happen (either what Marriott is planning, or what will actually happen when sales departments start implementing the changes), we're all just looking for clues.
Old Jun 29, 18, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by lexdevil View Post
That's why I asked to see the old language. I don't remember seeing "first" previously.

Am I correct, at least, that the additional elite night per 20 room nights is new?

None of us know what is going to happen (either what Marriott is planning, or what will actually happen when sales departments start implementing the changes), we're all just looking for clues.
I remember when Rewarding Events first came out the marketing material touted getting Silver status with your first block of rooms before they added the second phase of getting credit for doing meeting rooms without any guest rooms.

Yes, the 20 guest rooms is a new wrinkle.

Always wise to be [strike)skeptical[/strike] cautious. When Marketing speaks an angel loses their wings. I've had to unwind quite a few deals because marketing didn't want to give the details before the customer signs off on the order.
Old Jun 29, 18, 10:31 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Yes, the 20 guest rooms is a new wrinkle
I do not remember ever seeing it before and it is not in the legacy T&Cs.
Old Jun 29, 18, 1:59 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl., Accor-Plat., Former FPC-Plat.
I do not remember ever seeing it before and it is not in the legacy T&Cs.
I have booked blocks of room before and received 10 nights credit for bookings of 10 or more room nights. Since that part is new and there seems to be pushback from the other side of the merger, I made sure to have any meetings completed well before 8/1.

With the exception of one last minute cancellation, I used the meeting rooms while traveling and would continue to do so as long as some elite nights come with the bookings. Ironically, the no show meeting posted points and night just over 24 hours after the scheduled time, which is much faster than my experience with blocks of rooms and some corporate rentals.
Old Jun 29, 18, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by ymx View Post
Just finishing up 5 consecutive days of meetings. The GM is planning to post these all at one time using the Group Posting Tool on Friday. I asked him to make sure they are posted as separate events. Is there any risk of these getting grouped into a single event? Anything I should alert them to?
good luck, and please do post how this goes. In my case, the GM does the posting, but there is someone above him who has to sign off on the points.

I’ve decided to go for LTPP, (future-proofing, as mentioned upthread) which means I need 15 additional meetings...I’d like to do them 15 days in a row, so I can get things squared away a bit before August 1. The GM is willing to post all separately, and with separate contracts. I’m hoping it works out.
Old Jun 29, 18, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
But since you're asking in the meeting thread, you need to know that to be sure to get 10 elite nights per meeting, you have to complete those meetings before August, not before December.

There's every indication that Rewarding Events meeting will no longer earn 10 elite nights for every meeting after August 1.
Where is this coming from?
Old Jun 29, 18, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation event nights posted quicker on "old" Marriott site than "new" Marriott site today!!!

This morning I got one of these email saying that the points from my meeting has posted (it even mentioned Group Posting Tool). Well, I log into Marriott.com, and my point total is the same. But I got to activity, and it says 360ish points have posted for a meeting. But my nights are unchanged!

Then, out of recent habit, I go to the "old" site:
  • Go to Overview. Under Nights on the right click Details. In the popup window, click Learn More.
  • You are then thrown to the old site, where you have to log in again.
  • There, select Marriott Rewards Overview, and select Nights, and you get the old-style Annual + Lifetime status summary popup, and that's much more complete (for example, it lists lifetime points, which the "new" Marriott website stopped doing a month or two ago).
Lo and behold, both for this year and for my lifetime nights, the "old" site show the 10 additional nights, but even this afternoon the "new" site doesn't (even though by then it had added the points to my total finally).

Only just checking yet again a few minutes ago in the evening (over 12 hours since that email), finally the "new" Marriott site is showing the 10 nights that just posted early this morning. So the "old" site was showing them right away, but the "new" site took all day before it showed them.

So in case you get an email but your nights don't seem to show, you may want to check the "old" site. @:-)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 29, 18 at 8:02 pm
Old Jun 29, 18, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DealAddict View Post
Where is this coming from?
1. From some blog I can't remember offhand. It's somewhere way upthread.

2. From reading this document about how it will work post-August, which only mentions getting the 10 nights for the first meeting.

Of course, it doesn't explicitly say what you'll get for subsequent meetings (that blog said only 1 elite night for subsequent meetings), but the focus on 10 being for your "first" meeting implies that it's different for subsequent meetings to many of us reading this.

So it's not a certainty, but many of us consider it a "high risk", that what elite nights you get for Reward Events will change (likely for the worse for us) come August.

It'd be great to know for sure, but that's Marriott's habit these days, being murky in their language about what's coming in August in such a way that every so-called "answer" just raises many more questions.
Old Jun 29, 18, 9:28 pm

I thought it had been established the "first night" language had been used before for a while?
Old Jun 30, 18, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I thought it had been established the "first night" language had been used before for a while?
Yes, I do recall seeing "first night" being used for quite some time. The real issue here is if it is "first night only" that gets the 10 nights and then one night each meeting.
Old Jun 30, 18, 10:08 am

Yes, I do recall seeing "first night" being used for quite some time. The real issue here is if it is "first night only" that gets the 10 nights and then one night each meeting.
But that's just an assumption. where is that coming from... the wording does not say "first night only". Some are just interpreting it that way. And if the "first night" wording has been around for a while, what is the bold based on?
Old Jun 30, 18, 10:17 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
But that's just an assumption. where is that coming from... the wording does not say "first night only". Some are just interpreting it that way. And if the "first night" wording has been around for a while, what is the bold based on?
A Blogger (do not remember which one at this point but you can scroll back to find it) claimed to have been told this by someone at Marriott. Bloggers have been notoriously wrong throughout the transition as were "somebodies at Marriott' early on, so nobody treats this as gospel. Nonetheless, SPG did not have this rule allowing ten nights' credit so it is something that would likely have to be considered in terms of whether to follow what MR did or follow the SPG rule and we do see many people taking advantage of this rule now, so it is not outside the realm that it would change. The fact that Marriott is using marketing language that seems to allow for only the first meeting to count feeds into people thinking it might change, too.

It might not be true, but if someone is planning to hold meetings to make status it would be better to be done by Aug 1 and find out it is not true than to have waited and find out it is true and you are too late to plan your no-show meetings. Until the terms for the new Rewarding Events program are released or Marriott makes a definite announcement it's all tea leaves.

ADDED: In trying to find the blog where the claim was made I stumbled upon this marketing flyer from 2010 which touts getting ten nights and Silver with the first meeting. While the wording is a little different than what is used now, the point is that Marriott has not suddenly started stating this. It has been stated in the marketing materials for at least eight years.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jun 30, 18 at 10:36 am
Old Jun 30, 18, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe the new bolding helps put it in context. All to often someone sees something on FT, takes it out of context, and then spreads it as gospel. This may be why MR abandoned FT since they were not allowed to control the content like they can/do in Marriott Insider.
Old Jun 30, 18, 11:02 am

ADDED: In trying to find the blog where the claim was made I stumbled upon this marketing flyer from 2010 which touts getting ten nights and Silver with the first meeting. While the wording is a little different than what is used now, the point is that Marriott has not suddenly started stating this. It has been stated in the marketing materials for at least eight years.
I still don't see the "first" language here. Perhaps I'm just missing it?

While the "By holding just one meeting" language might imply the "first meeting" idea has been around for a while, the "1 meeting or event = 10 Elite night credits" noted at the bottom doesn't indicate any restriction on the number of meetings that can earn 10 nights elite credit. So unless you can help me find the word "first" in this document, I don't think it is evidence that this language has been used previously.

To be clear, I'm not saying that it has not been used previously, only that I have not noticed it.
Old Jun 30, 18, 11:13 am

That is precisely the question. I agree that there is nothing in this language to give us direction either way.

My pessimistic reading is based not only on the "first night" language, but the addition of the 1 elite night per 20 room nights language. If they are going to continue to give 10 elite nights credit for all Rewarding Events bookings, I'm not sure why they need to sprinkle additional elite nights on us. To me, this addition makes sense in a world where they are tightening up the 10 elite nights per event policy.

The best argument that I can see against my pessimistic interpretation is that limiting the 10 elite nights credit to the first Rewarding Event seems complicated to implement. Would it be 10 for your first event ever, or 10 for your first event of the year, or 10 for your first event at the property in question? Will the salesperson have to check to see if you have received the 10 nights credit previously before setting up your contract? Will the system be automated?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: