Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rustykettel
Wiki Link
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMťridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jun 20, 18, 9:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Do you feel that you can get a better rate by contacting the hotel directly for a quote? I see the website occasionally offers a specific $x rate for the day, then chops it in half for a 1 hr meeting. Just curious.. I like how the website can book direct w/o the extra back-and-forth of the quoting process, but is there any benefit to taking the extra time?
Old Jun 20, 18, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by izzik View Post
Do you feel that you can get a better rate by contacting the hotel directly for a quote? I see the website occasionally offers a specific $x rate for the day, then chops it in half for a 1 hr meeting. Just curious.. I like how the website can book direct w/o the extra back-and-forth of the quoting process, but is there any benefit to taking the extra time?
Not to difficult to set the system up to offer a cheaper rate for shorter time, but it's always best to talk with a live body to see if there is something they can do. You never know if they have a special situation that you might not care about (i.e. pool closed) and will be willing to take anything they can get. If you think it's going to be a long relationship then dealing with the people is much better than just what the website will do for you.
Old Jun 20, 18, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Thanks to everyone for this thread!

I’ve been lurking as I deal with a Fairfield in a small town. My contact is the GM, who assured me in person that his hotel participates in rewarding events and he uses the Group Posting Tool. He was amenable to meetings where I don’t show up in addition to ones where I do, and the meetings are ongoing. My first meeting was a month ago, but other than some bonus points from that first meeting in May nothing has posted. Not good.

I have separate contracts for each meeting, and my card is being charged. GM had no issue with my putting language in the contract about rewarding events—it wasn’t there originally.

I called Marriott about a week after the first meeting and was told to wait another week and then call again. I’m on a lengthy southeast Asian trip and between time zones and internet access I haven’t been able to wait 30 minutes on hold during US business hours to skype Marriott. I have sent several emails to both the GM and global customer care, and the response I received from Marriott was that possibly I wasn’t getting proper credit because I wasn’t “registered as a meeting planner“ and the agent said she would pass my email on to rewarding events. I’ve emailed back several times and emailed the GM as well but haven’t gotten a response, and points/nights still haven’t posted. It has now been a month since the first meeting.

I called the GM today and his assistant told me that he has been posting using the group posting tool but perhaps there’s a problem somewhere up the line, she said they’d be looking into it. Has anyone heard of this before? I had a contact before the GM, (a representative for the company that owns the hotel). Is it possible someone up the chain has to sign off on events even if they’re posted using the Tool? She said they’d work on it this week, and would call Marriott for help. I’ll just suck it up and skype marriott myself if things don’t resolve soon. I’m concerned that the longer this goes on, the more likely it is that I won’t get the nights.

I’m hoping to schedule more meetings at the property if I can get this worked out—I could make LTPP—but obviously don’t want to throw good money after bad if the nights aren’t going to post. Is there anything else I should be doing? Is there a better contact email? I’ll be stateside again in a couple of weeks, but would prefer to get things rolling before then. Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 18, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
my own limited experience is that I got a significantly better deal by dealing with the hotel directly, and telling them how many meetings I intended to hold...but as you can see in the post above, my nights havenít posted yet, sooo...take my info with a grain of salt.
Old Jun 20, 18, 10:16 pm

Programs: SK EBD/baEC G/MR PP/A3 *G/AA G/CC G/HH G/IHG Spire
Originally Posted by karenkay View Post

Iíve been lurking as I deal with a Fairfield in a small town. My contact is the GM, who assured me in person that his hotel participates in rewarding events and he uses the Group Posting Tool. He was amenable to meetings where I donít show up in addition to ones where I do, and the meetings are ongoing. My first meeting was a month ago, but other than some bonus points from that first meeting in May nothing has posted. Not good.

I have separate contracts for each meeting, and my card is being charged. GM had no issue with my putting language in the contract about rewarding eventsóit wasnít there originally.

I called Marriott about a week after the first meeting and was told to wait another week and then call again. Iím on a lengthy southeast Asian trip and between time zones and internet access I havenít been able to wait 30 minutes on hold during US business hours to skype Marriott. I have sent several emails to both the GM and global customer care, and the response I received from Marriott was that possibly I wasnít getting proper credit because I wasnít ďregistered as a meeting plannerď and the agent said she would pass my email on to rewarding events. Iíve emailed back several times and emailed the GM as well but havenít gotten a response, and points/nights still havenít posted. It has now been a month since the first meeting.

I called the GM today and his assistant told me that he has been posting using the group posting tool but perhaps thereís a problem somewhere up the line, she said theyíd be looking into it. Has anyone heard of this before? I had a contact before the GM, (a representative for the company that owns the hotel). Is it possible someone up the chain has to sign off on events even if theyíre posted using the Tool? She said theyíd work on it this week, and would call Marriott for help. Iíll just suck it up and skype marriott myself if things donít resolve soon. Iím concerned that the longer this goes on, the more likely it is that I wonít get the nights.

Iím hoping to schedule more meetings at the property if I can get this worked outóI could make LTPPóbut obviously donít want to throw good money after bad if the nights arenít going to post. Is there anything else I should be doing? Is there a better contact email? Iíll be stateside again in a couple of weeks, but would prefer to get things rolling before then. Thanks.

Personally I would be looking at a new property to host my meetings...

If things get corrected great, however it could be alot of work and time, so if no points posted in a timely manner I would have booked the the following meeting(s) elswhere as I am lazy and HATE following up on things that need to be fixed

Of course it depends on how many meetings you need also as time is ticking and rumors flying about what rewarding meetings will entail soon...

GMs often mean well but arent allways well versed...

Kauppias
karenkay likes this.
Old Jun 21, 18, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Not to difficult to set the system up to offer a cheaper rate for shorter time, but it's always best to talk with a live body to see if there is something they can do. You never know if they have a special situation that you might not care about (i.e. pool closed) and will be willing to take anything they can get. If you think it's going to be a long relationship then dealing with the people is much better than just what the website will do for you.
Completely agree, although if the rumours are correct there won't be any benefits to a hotel manager relationship (for meetings) beyond August.

Personally, if you are only looking for 3-4 meetings to ensure Platinum or Plat Prem, then I would just book a $100 meeting online and not waste time finding a sales manager willing to negotiate. If you've decided you need 750 nights ASAP, then by all means there's more value in finding someone willing to deal.
Old Jun 21, 18, 4:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

I’ve been lurking as I deal with a Fairfield in a small town. My contact is the GM, who assured me in person that his hotel participates in rewarding events and he uses the Group Posting Tool. He was amenable to meetings where I don’t show up in addition to ones where I do, and the meetings are ongoing. My first meeting was a month ago, but other than some bonus points from that first meeting in May nothing has posted. Not good.

I have separate contracts for each meeting, and my card is being charged. GM had no issue with my putting language in the contract about rewarding events—it wasn’t there originally.

I called Marriott about a week after the first meeting and was told to wait another week and then call again. I’m on a lengthy southeast Asian trip and between time zones and internet access I haven’t been able to wait 30 minutes on hold during US business hours to skype Marriott. I have sent several emails to both the GM and global customer care, and the response I received from Marriott was that possibly I wasn’t getting proper credit because I wasn’t “registered as a meeting planner“ and the agent said she would pass my email on to rewarding events. I’ve emailed back several times and emailed the GM as well but haven’t gotten a response, and points/nights still haven’t posted. It has now been a month since the first meeting.

I called the GM today and his assistant told me that he has been posting using the group posting tool but perhaps there’s a problem somewhere up the line, she said they’d be looking into it. Has anyone heard of this before? I had a contact before the GM, (a representative for the company that owns the hotel). Is it possible someone up the chain has to sign off on events even if they’re posted using the Tool? She said they’d work on it this week, and would call Marriott for help. I’ll just suck it up and skype marriott myself if things don’t resolve soon. I’m concerned that the longer this goes on, the more likely it is that I won’t get the nights.

I’m hoping to schedule more meetings at the property if I can get this worked out—I could make LTPP—but obviously don’t want to throw good money after bad if the nights aren’t going to post. Is there anything else I should be doing? Is there a better contact email? I’ll be stateside again in a couple of weeks, but would prefer to get things rolling before then. Thanks.

In my experience, at some properties the event manager or sales director often prepares the credit to be posted and then someone within that property itself or the third-party management company has to approve it (as they probably approve any sort of points). But since this is the general manager he should be that guy, if there is one.

Unfortunately, too many properties could care less about you after you do business with them. This is true for guests and event planners.

For example, the J.W. Marriott Essex House is on my no-go list now because after doing two events worth $75,000 with them since November 2017 the new person (they had a changeover in staff) is a complete nightmare to deal with and basically gives me the middle-finger over email. It took three months to get points posted correctly. They fought me and corporate Marriott, kicking and screaming the whole way.

Another example is a corporate sales manager for Marriott. For three years, my colleague dealt directly with him. He did about $400,000 in business with the guy. After never even hearing from the guy (you think you might get a monthly sales pitch for specials at properties, let alone getting a freebie tossed our way every now and again) we started contracting directly, if possible, with properties to bypass Marriott's corporate sales office. Basically, they just add a layer of bureaucracy to the process and take a commission from the property without ever doing anything, beyond giving you a RFP. I find the property sales office to be better than Marriott's corporate sales office, particularly in the rates and packages they offer.

It almost sounds as if the Marriott person who responded to your email is a legacy SPG agent, as SPG required you to register as an event planner with SPG Pro to receive the SPG equivelent of Marriott's Rewarding Events. Marriott does have an incentives program requiring registration, but that's, to my knowledge, only for travel agents. Not event planners.
karenkay and MDtR-Chicago like this.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jun 21, 18 at 4:29 am
Old Jun 21, 18, 10:48 am

Iíve been lurking as I deal with a Fairfield in a small town. My contact is the GM, who assured me in person that his hotel participates in rewarding events and he uses the Group Posting Tool. He was amenable to meetings where I donít show up in addition to ones where I do, and the meetings are ongoing. My first meeting was a month ago, but other than some bonus points from that first meeting in May nothing has posted. Not good.
The meeting planner reason doesn't sound correct.. I'm not sure what "registration" that's referring to, since my first event worked fine w/o such registration.
If they used the group posting tool, the points and nights should have posted immediately.
Is it too late to find another property?
Old Jun 21, 18, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I've found rates of $150-$200 pretty easily in California and Nevada, so it's going to be hard to save a couple of hundred bucks by calling it in. And I've never had any problem with getting credit over the course of 6 meetings, so long as I entertained a bit of patience here and there.
Old Jun 22, 18, 7:48 am

Programs: BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); Hyatt Somethingorother; UA Silver
Are delays of two weeks typical in seeing Rewarding Events nights post? I saw points from the property post as a bonus yesterday, but still no nights.
Old Jun 22, 18, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by CLEguy View Post
Are delays of two weeks typical in seeing Rewarding Events nights post? I saw points from the property post as a bonus yesterday, but still no nights.
It should post at the same time.
Also, this is only one data point but mine posted as "Rewards" not "Bonus" in my activity.
Old Jun 22, 18, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by JackE View Post
I've found rates of $150-$200 pretty easily in California and Nevada, so it's going to be hard to save a couple of hundred bucks by calling it in. And I've never had any problem with getting credit over the course of 6 meetings, so long as I entertained a bit of patience here and there.
OK. I've found $100 on the weekends and $125 during the week, so that's prob the best it will be (for suburban Chicagoland).
Old Jun 22, 18, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Do expect a delay in the two postings. The property has to use two processes, one that posts the points that they pay for and a second, the infamous Group Posting Tool that tells MR to post the nights. Sometimes it can be a week or more before they get around to doing the GPT that may be assigned to a particular individual. If it's been over a week, I would call the property to ask if they have posted your stay via the Group Posting Tool. The first person you get may not even know what that is, if so, ask for someone in sales. If they don't know what it is then escalating with MR would be appropriate. Keep track of dates and names of people you've talked to (FT'ers excluded).
Old Jun 22, 18, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1KMM, Hyatt Explorist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I did one meeting two weeks ago and a second a week ago, have not seen any nights nor bonus points post yet
Old Jun 22, 18, 2:03 pm

If you find a good hotel with a competent sales/meeting rep who "understands" what you are trying to do, they post the Monday after a "Sunday AM" meeting...
darcyt likes this.

Search this Thread