FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

PaulInTheSky Mar 7, 11 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy (Post 15991934)
My recollection is that there is a list at marriot.com which says which hotels participate. It's NOT all but it is most.

SacTownGuy, just wondering which link are you referring to?

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi

--When booking a qualifying group, event or meeting with Rewarding Events, 10 Elite nights will be awarded to the Member along with the Points or Miles after the event has actualized at the property booked.-- I just found this statement in the link above but they did not specify what a qualifying group is.

PaulInTheSky Mar 7, 11 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by mooper (Post 15990212)
I'm running into a slew of SHS, RI, and FI properties that are all saying that the 10EQN offer isn't valid at their property (i.e., they don't "participate"), even though small meeting rooms are available. Is this to be expected and within the terms, or are all properties that rent rooms supposed to participate without exception?

As far as I remembered, RI and all the TS do not participate. I normally don't even think of SHS or FI, but it seems like it should still work.

SacTownGuy Mar 16, 11 9:00 am

A quick laugh

My wife's non-profit had an event at our local F/S last week. They spent about $5,000. Beforehand I was sure to tell her to book in my name with my MR#. It didn't happen so I suggested she call and get it straightened out (which I am sure they will). However, she was not too worried and said, "but I used our Marriott credit card to pay...." I said, "that's great honey but the 10 nights are the gold in the deal!" She just doesn't get it! :)

Spiffster Mar 17, 11 12:17 am

my wife never really got it until this last weekend in Vegas. ;)

Free flights in 1st - mileage runs paid off
free sky club access - thanks amex plat
free room (upgraded :-) at the Cosmo - points, points, points
free food - gift cheques

the only cash (coins!) out of pocket was for taxis...

imgonnafly Mar 17, 11 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Spiffster (Post 16049888)
my wife never really got it until this last weekend in Vegas. ;)

Free flights in 1st - mileage runs paid off
free sky club access - thanks amex plat
free room (upgraded :-) at the Cosmo - points, points, points
free food - gift cheques

the only cash (coins!) out of pocket was for taxis...

Yay! You made her a believer!

SeAAttle Jun 29, 11 1:48 pm

I have always been lowest tier Marriott (except for one year, I think) but with the VISA Premiere card, rollovers, and bonus nights (I knew nothing about the latter two until they appeared on my account), I am not GLD and have a shot at Platinum (short 11 nights). If needed, could I still do the "meeting" room rental in late December to put me over the top?

I have not read the entire thread so apologize if this has already been answered.

Boraxo Jun 29, 11 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez (Post 15242035)
A 2-hour meeting in the Gem City Fairfield is $50 bucks.

Originally Posted by jeff30189 (Post 15115819)
I was able to negotiate a $100 rate at a local CY, no rooms, no catering, no equipment.

Originally Posted by banesong (Post 15115724)
I was able to tack on a morning meeting to an existing reservation at a CY in San Diego - $50/2 hours and 10 nights hit my account!

I can't seem to find anything under $200 per meeting locally and I need 4 meetings :eek: Has anyone found anything cheaper in NorCal? Otherwise I may end up saving money by doing a mileage run to SD to run some "meetings." :D

travel.flier Jun 30, 11 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 16647228)
I can't seem to find anything under $200 per meeting locally and I need 4 meetings :eek: Has anyone found anything cheaper in NorCal? Otherwise I may end up saving money by doing a mileage run to SD to run some "meetings." :D

I hadn't found anything in nocal before for under $200. Does San Diego still have the $50 rate? Do you think you can do 2 meetings in one day? Like 8am and 5pm? that would make it worthwhile. actually - do you even have to show up?

SacTownGuy Jun 30, 11 11:09 am

Originally Posted by travel.flier (Post 16649824)
I hadn't found anything in nocal before for under $200. Does San Diego still have the $50 rate? Do you think you can do 2 meetings in one day? Like 8am and 5pm? that would make it worthwhile. actually - do you even have to show up?

I have had $100 meetings in the Sacramento area (not Folsom though) within the last 12 months.

vic2010 Jun 30, 11 7:42 pm

has anyone found any good meeting rates in the atlanta area

nachosdelux Jul 1, 11 7:34 am

I had my first meeting last week. How long does it take for nights to post?

SacTownGuy Jul 1, 11 8:54 am

Originally Posted by nachosdelux (Post 16656366)
I had my first meeting last week. How long does it take for nights to post?

One of mine posted the next day and I remember another took about 10 days.

vortix Oct 21, 11 11:40 am

Originally Posted by travel.flier (Post 16649824)

I am not speaking from experience, but the terms & conditions at https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi state "The Member does not have to be a registered guest or attend the Event in order receive Points or Miles with Rewarding Events."

Anyone ever try booking a meeting room without showing up for the meeting? I assume one must go to the hotel at some point to sign paperwork and pay for the room, however.

travel.flier Oct 21, 11 9:46 pm

anyone find a good rate in northern california (SJC) or southern california (LAX or SNA)?

orknot2be Oct 22, 11 12:51 am

I love this thread. Reading this may be the most fun I've had all year (OK, I lead a boring life). I'm platinum till Feb 2013 but I'm already planning on how to work this if the 10 night credit/meeting still exists.

One question for those who know. When you see on a particular hotel site a quote of 200./day for a conference room, if you tell them you only need it for 2 hours, is the cost reduced? Just curious, and like I said, planning in advance. And for those of you who had a solo meeting, how did you ask them to arrange the room?