Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by kcdude
I received 40+ private messages and I did not think I will see this many messages. I do not think one location will survive that many. So I shared the info to first 5 respondents. Please do not ask me for the contact. If you call around, you will be able to find a place. I made 20+ calls before I found one.
Thanks
Appreciate the fact that you were even willing to share with 5 people.

Just wondering, how did you go about inquiring with the 20+ properties? How subtle were you in asking about no-show meetings? Did you beat around the bush, or did you straight up explain to them what you were trying to do?

Thanks!

Last edited by pentiumvi; May 29, 2018 at 11:49 pm
Old May 30, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by JackE
Agree with everything except the spirit of it taking "some work". I can and have made the booking in about two minutes flat once I got the knack of it.

The some work refers to FINDING the low cost properties out there

Once you have found your meeting venues its very easy to do after that.

If one is Happy with 100$ meetings the whole process is easy.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I found a $75 one online and will be trying my first no-show one in a couple weeks...will report back how it goes
Old May 30, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
We do not know the new contract yet. It has not been published. Under the existing contract, which is mentioned and incorporated in every confirmation, with a link, in the Rewarding Events section it states:

The Rewards Program Rules/contract states:

So under the present contract, Marriott can change the terms without notice at any time, including the points received for a stay or, obviously, a meeting. This would mean under contract law as I was taught in law school there is no contract provision requiring Marriott to honor ten points per meeting for future meetings, nor is there any contract law that ignores the written contract, which in this case allows Marriott to make this change.

Did your law school teach a different contract law? I was taught the written contract governs.
Marriott reservations and contracts that mention Rewards incorporate the terms and conditions which allow Marriott to change the program at will and be the final arbiter of any questions that arise under the program, so the contract for each event allows Marriott to change the number of points awarded. To advise otherwise is irresponsible.

The current program rules point out that you get ten points for the first meeting which is enough to reach Silver. The new marketing materials also state this which leads people to think there might not be similar credit for additional meetings. The bottom line is until the new program's rules are released we will not know. Claiming contract law protects anyone with a reservation is incorrect given the written contract. Telling members they are protected when that is not true is irresponsible. Members should know there is no guaranty that they will get ten points per meeting after the start of the new program and keep looking for a definitive answer.
The contract under which you are being awarded points is the MR T&Cs. That's the contract that governs your participation in MR and it is on the website. It includes the provisions quoted above which allow Marriott to change the parameters, including points awarded, at anytime and without notice. We are not talking price here. We are talking Marriott Rewards Points which the T&Cs (contract) say Marriott can change at any time. The T&Cs do not have provisions allowing Marriott to change the price on a reservation which would be something very different.
First, MR is not governed by the reservation, it's governed by the T&Cs.

Second, I agree it would be wrong not to disclose any changes by now, but Marriott has not. The terms of the new program have not yet been announced but they have made it clear the new Rewarding Events will begin in Aug.

Third, nobody knows if there is going to be a change, but there is a group of FT participants who are convinced there will be. There is nothing solid that indicates if they are right or wrong. There is language in the members.Marriott marketing materials that says you get ten points for your first meeting which some see as an indication after that you will not get ten points. There is other language that suggests there might be other big changes, but since the new program has not been announced, who knows?

Bottom Line: Do we know if there will be changes? No. Do I think there might be changes? Probably not immediate ones. Are there people on here thinking there will be changes? Yes. Can it be shown they are right or wrong? No. So anyone relying on future meeting points should be aware this is a possibility.
First, and foremost, we are talking about night credit and not points.

Second, the nights come from MR and not the property. The use of the Group Posting Tool triggers MR to issue the nights. Other than that the properties have no responsibility so I doubt anything in the contract would stick to them.

Third, I have read threads (not doing the search) either here in Marriott or Starwood announcing the new program will only credit 10 nights for the first meeting each year and one night for all others. See also https://thepointsguy.com/news/faqs-n...yalty-program/.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:20 am

Smile

Originally Posted by kauppias

Yup. I think I threw out over a couple hundred request for quotes before I discovered sorting by largest event room size. hahaha..
Old May 30, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by RogerD408
First, and foremost, we are talking about night credit and not points.

Second, the nights come from MR and not the property. The use of the Group Posting Tool triggers MR to issue the nights. Other than that the properties have no responsibility so I doubt anything in the contract would stick to them.
&Cs
Third, I have read threads (not doing the search) either here in Marriott or Starwood announcing the new program will only credit 10 nights for the first meeting each year and one night for all others. See also https://thepointsguy.com/news/faqs-n...yalty-program/.
Nights credit is specifically part of Rewarding Events and is specifically governed by the MR T&Cs:
Members who hold qualifying Events at participating hotels also receive ten (10) Elite night credits toward Elite status, which are awarded to their Rewards Program account along with either Points or Miles earned for the Event.
And the credit for one night only has not been announced by Marriott. It is an internet rumor which may or may not be true. TPG is not Marriott and he has been unreliable on many of the program changes. Until the actual new Rewarding Events T&Cs are released everything is conjecture.
YoungBubbie likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by kauppias

I'm perfectly happy paying $100+taxes/fees for 10 elite night credits. The question is, should I approach the subject of possibly no show prior to the meeting?

Or is it better to just let it happen and see whether the property will charge me and use the posting tool?
​​​​
Old May 30, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I'm perfectly happy paying $100+taxes/fees for 10 elite night credits. The question is, should I approach the subject of possibly no show prior to the meeting?

Or is it better to just let it happen and see whether the property will charge me and use the posting tool?
​​​​

Personally I would NOT bring up the subject of planned no show meetings. If you dont get credit for a no show then I would try another property. I would also NOT use no shows alot at the same property I would use different ones as there are plenty of them. I try to schedule my unnecessary meetings in the VERY early am so they can still resell the room during the day, thus a win win situation for all.

Others may disagree but that is my advice
Old May 30, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: Delta: P, American: PP, Marriott: P/LTG, SPG: P, Hilton: G, Hertz: PC, National: E
Been following this thread for quite some time. Awesome insight. If I booked and paid for a meeting through Marriott.com (Reserve feature, not Request a quote) am I automatically eligible for the 10 nights/points? I booked at a Courtyard and Renaissance which I read in the FAQ as participating brands. Not sure if all properties reward the nights or if it's the properties choice.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by teammoney
Been following this thread for quite some time. Awesome insight. If I booked and paid for a meeting through Marriott.com (Reserve feature, not Request a quote) am I automatically eligible for the 10 nights/points? I booked at a Courtyard and Renaissance which I read in the FAQ as participating brands. Not sure if all properties reward the nights or if it's the properties choice.
If you've been reading the posts here, the determining factor is if the property uses the Group Posting Tool to trigger MR issuing the 10 nights. Some properties know about this process, some don't. Some properties posts the meetings quickly, some don't. Getting points for your meeting is separate than the use of this tool so points may show up sooner than the nights. You can make your reservation online, but you might get a better deal if you select a shorter period or different time frame (early morning or late night) that what is available from the website. Talking with the property to see what flexibility they have and that they know about the Group Posting Tool is wise.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta: P, American: PP, Marriott: P/LTG, SPG: P, Hilton: G, Hertz: PC, National: E
Originally Posted by RogerD408
If you've been reading the posts here, the determining factor is if the property uses the Group Posting Tool to trigger MR issuing the 10 nights. Some properties know about this process, some don't. Some properties posts the meetings quickly, some don't. Getting points for your meeting is separate than the use of this tool so points may show up sooner than the nights. You can make your reservation online, but you might get a better deal if you select a shorter period or different time frame (early morning or late night) that what is available from the website. Talking with the property to see what flexibility they have and that they know about the Group Posting Tool is wise.
Thanks for the quick response. To further clarify, by booking online am I always eligible for the 10 nights? I read that in the case where you make a request, you should make sure your contract states "Group Posting Tool" but in my case, the reservation is automated and auto confirmed. I'm wondering if for some reason the property doesn't use the Group Posting Tool, that I have a case for the 10 nights if I email them or Marriott customer service.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
OK people stop asking about it and just do it. No-shows WORK 99% of time, nobody asks questions. My personal success rate is 100% for no-shows. With meetings, there is no "check-in" process, they prepare the room before your arrival and you're supposed to just go to the room. The room number and event name will be displayed in the meeting floor. Nobody checks who goes in or out of the meeting rooms.
JfromTheBay and teammoney like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
OK people stop asking about it and just do it. No-shows WORK 99% of time, nobody asks questions. My personal success rate is 100% for no-shows. With meetings, there is no "check-in" process, they prepare the room before your arrival and you're supposed to just go to the room. The room number and event name will be displayed in the meeting floor. Nobody checks who goes in or out of the meeting rooms.

+1

Same experience here.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
First, MR is not governed by the reservation, it's governed by the T&Cs.

Second, I agree it would be wrong not to disclose any changes by now, but Marriott has not. The terms of the new program have not yet been announced but they have made it clear the new Rewarding Events will begin in Aug.

Third, nobody knows if there is going to be a change, but there is a group of FT participants who are convinced there will be. There is nothing solid that indicates if they are right or wrong. There is language in the members.Marriott marketing materials that says you get ten points for your first meeting which some see as an indication after that you will not get ten points. There is other language that suggests there might be other big changes, but since the new program has not been announced, who knows?

Bottom Line: Do we know if there will be changes? No. Do I think there might be changes? Probably not immediate ones. Are there people on here thinking there will be changes? Yes. Can it be shown they are right or wrong? No. So anyone relying on future meeting points should be aware this is a possibility.

No one is disputing that Marriott can't change their stay/point system August 1 or tomorrow morning or anytime they like, going forward. The issue here is once you have a signed event order, generated from a website that discusses the terms of the program, can Marriott change your contract unilaterally and retroactively.

As I understand your position, Marriott can do whatever it likes so long as it's in their T&C.

So as I understand your position, Marriott would be able to change its T&C and immediately zero out everyone's point balance to fluff up its bottom line. Obviously it wouldn't do that for business reasons, but your legal position is it can do whatever it likes so long as it's in its T&C, yes?
Old May 30, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
The contract says you will get benefits according to the terms of Marriott's Rewarding Events Program. If the terms of that program are that events held after August 1, 2018 earn one night credit per meeting, then that's what you'll get according to the contract.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.