Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rustykettel
Wiki Link
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old May 29, 18, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
Meetings booked under the current rules, even if held on or after 8/1, should be unaffected.
What is your source on this? Where and when has Marriott made this commitment? I have not seen this but maybe it exists. Please provide your basis for this statement.
Old May 29, 18, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
What is your source on this? Where and when has Marriott made this commitment? I have not seen this but maybe it exists. Please provide your basis for this statement.
The basis of my statement is centuries of American contract law. That and no statement by Marriott to the contrary. If you have such statement, please post, thank you.
Old May 29, 18, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by NDN View Post

not true. Many times, the meeting rooms are locked and you need to go to the front desk to get access
I've never had that happen to me. Do you mean locked before the reserved time or after that? The problem with after is the event planner may not be the first to arrive.
Old May 29, 18, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by kauppias View Post
I have only had one hotel not respond do far. Are you using the instant reserve properties or requesting quotes?

The easiest is to just hunt for the cheaper properties that SHOW the price online, then just reserve it online.

If The property shows for 200usd online then it should be 100usd for the halfday meeting (like 1hour)

Then they just send you the contracts. There are plenty of these properties out there it just takes some work
Agree with everything except the spirit of it taking "some work". I can and have made the booking in about two minutes flat once I got the knack of it.
Old May 29, 18, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JfromTheBay View Post
So I just booked and he added additional $15.08 for tax and gratuity and service charge... Im pretty sure he knows whats up..We need the nights and the meeting space and he needs to earn his lil kicker. Im great with that..
Just like a lot of other things, some properties make up their own rules. Maybe for a no-show they will waive the extras. Maybe if the FDC working doesn't know what they are doing the extra fees may or may not be assessed. As we say YMMV. I believe in full disclosure, but if an extra $30+- is going to break the deal, probably not a game you want to play.
Old May 29, 18, 7:48 pm

The basis of my statement is centuries of American contract law. That and no statement by Marriott to the contrary. If you have such statement, please post, thank you.
We do not know the new contract yet. It has not been published. Under the existing contract, which is mentioned and incorporated in every confirmation, with a link, in the Rewarding Events section it states:
All other Rewards Program Rules apply.
The Rewards Program Rules/contract states:
The Company and its travel partners have the right to change, limit, modify or cancel the Rewards Program Rules, Rewards and reward levels at any time, with or without notice, even though such changes may affect the value of Points or Miles, or the ability to obtain certain Rewards. The Company and its travel partners may, among other things: a) increase or decrease the number of Points or Miles received for a stay...
So under the present contract, Marriott can change the terms without notice at any time, including the points received for a stay or, obviously, a meeting. This would mean under contract law as I was taught in law school there is no contract provision requiring Marriott to honor ten points per meeting for future meetings, nor is there any contract law that ignores the written contract, which in this case allows Marriott to make this change.

Did your law school teach a different contract law? I was taught the written contract governs.

Last edited by CJKatl; May 29, 18 at 7:54 pm
Old May 29, 18, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
We do not know the new contract yet. It has not been published. Under the existing contract, which is mentioned and incorporated in every confirmation, with a link, in the Rewarding Events section it states:

So under the present contract, Marriott can change the terms without notice at any time, including the points received for a stay or, obviously, a meeting. This would mean under contract law as I was taught in law school there is no contract law requiring Marriott to honor ten points per meeting for future meetings.

Did your law school teach a different contract law? I was taught the written contract governs.
While I'm not a lawyer, I had some business law classes for my MBA, and I negotiate contracts as part of my day job. Perhaps what JackE was referring to was if a contract was signed by both parties now under the current terms for a specific meeting, and that contract specified that the customer would receive 10 nights credit for the meeting, that the hotel would be obligated to fulfill the terms of that signed contract. It makes the most sense if JackE was referring to the contract between the customer and the hotel for the specific event rather than the terms and conditions of the Marriott Rewards Program itself.

Regardless, I think this conversation is better suited for another thread. Thanks.

Old May 29, 18, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
While I'm not a lawyer, I had some business law classes for my MBA, and I negotiate contracts as part of my day job. Perhaps what JackE was referring to was if a contract was signed by both parties now under the current terms for a specific meeting, and that contract specified that the customer would receive 10 nights credit for the meeting, that the hotel would be obligated to fulfill the terms of that signed contract. It makes the most sense if JackE was referring to the contract between the customer and the hotel for the specific event rather than the terms and conditions of the Marriott Rewards Program itself.
Marriott reservations and contracts that mention Rewards incorporate the terms and conditions which allow Marriott to change the program at will and be the final arbiter of any questions that arise under the program, so the contract for each event allows Marriott to change the number of points awarded. To advise otherwise is irresponsible.

The current program rules point out that you get ten points for the first meeting which is enough to reach Silver. The new marketing materials also state this which leads people to think there might not be similar credit for additional meetings. The bottom line is until the new program's rules are released we will not know. Claiming contract law protects anyone with a reservation is incorrect given the written contract. Telling members they are protected when that is not true is irresponsible. Members should know there is no guaranty that they will get ten points per meeting after the start of the new program and keep looking for a definitive answer.
Old May 29, 18, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Marriott reservations and contracts that mention Rewards incorporate the terms and conditions which allow Marriott to change the program at will and be the final arbiter of any questions that arise under the program, so the contract for each event allows Marriott to change the number of points awarded. To advise otherwise is irresponsible.

The current program rules point out that you get ten points for the first meeting which is enough to reach Silver. The new marketing materials also state this which leads people to think there might not be similar credit for additional meetings. The bottom line is until the new program's rules are released we will not know. Claiming contract law protects anyone with a reservation is incorrect given the written contract. Telling members they are protected when that is not true is irresponsible. Members should know there is no guaranty that they will get ten points per meeting after the start of the new program and keep looking for a definitive answer.
Remembering back to my meetings last year, I don't think the 10 nights per meeting was expressly stated in my contract. However, I don't have that contract with me right now. If it's not expressly stated in the contract terms, then you are right - Marriott doesn't have to provide it.

It would also be interesting to see if the wording of the contract changes for meetings held after August 1, 2018.
Old May 29, 18, 9:59 pm

So under the present contract, Marriott can change the terms without notice at any time, including the points received for a stay or, obviously, a meeting. This would mean under contract law as I was taught in law school there is no contract provision requiring Marriott to honor ten points per meeting for future meetings, nor is there any contract law that ignores the written contract, which in this case allows Marriott to make this change.

I don't know what your law school taught you, but when you click the reservation button online, that is a contract between you and Marriott. Now if you have a subsequent contract that you sign that eliminates the benefits, then you have a new contract. Absent any specific mention of points and stays in the event order, they are part of the contract you have with them at initial booking.

If Marriott can unilaterally change the provisions of your online contract with them without notice, as you claim, then what is to legally prevent them from doubling or tripling the price?

Last edited by JackE; May 29, 18 at 10:11 pm
Old May 29, 18, 10:08 pm

Remembering back to my meetings last year, I don't think the 10 nights per meeting was expressly stated in my contract. However, I don't have that contract with me right now. If it's not expressly stated in the contract terms, then you are right - Marriott doesn't have to provide it.

It would also be interesting to see if the wording of the contract changes for meetings held after August 1, 2018.
It may or may not be in the event order, but it doesn't need to be. As an analogy, Marriott has an obligation to award MR points to you for consuming a typical sleeping room even if you do not have a written contract for that. It's part and parcel of the MR program to which you belong. They promise points. You give them money. They give you the points they promised.

Same with Rewarding Events. They have to provide the benefits they promise when you click through.
Old May 29, 18, 11:05 pm

I don't know what your law school taught you, but when you click the reservation button online, that is a contract between you and Marriott. Now if you have a subsequent contract that you sign that eliminates the benefits, then you have a new contract. Absent any specific mention of points and stays in the event order, they are part of the contract you have with them at initial booking.

If Marriott can unilaterally change the provisions of your online contract with them without notice, as you claim, then what is to legally prevent them from doubling or tripling the price?
The contract under which you are being awarded points is the MR T&Cs. That's the contract that governs your participation in MR and it is on the website. It includes the provisions quoted above which allow Marriott to change the parameters, including points awarded, at anytime and without notice. We are not talking price here. We are talking Marriott Rewards Points which the T&Cs (contract) say Marriott can change at any time. The T&Cs do not have provisions allowing Marriott to change the price on a reservation which would be something very different.
Old May 29, 18, 11:09 pm

Programs: SK EBD/baEC G/MR PP/A3 *G/AA G/CC G/HH G/IHG Spire

I have some meetings booked past Aug 01 and no changes have appeared in the contract language. I doubt any changes would appear pre Aug 01, but seels silly to not disclose such changes in advance as many plan events a long time out...
Old May 29, 18, 11:15 pm

I've had mine post in 1-2 days.
Old May 29, 18, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by kauppias View Post
I have some meetings booked past Aug 01 and no changes have appeared in the contract language. I doubt any changes would appear pre Aug 01, but seels silly to not disclose such changes in advance as many plan events a long time out...
First, MR is not governed by the reservation, it's governed by the T&Cs.

Second, I agree it would be wrong not to disclose any changes by now, but Marriott has not. The terms of the new program have not yet been announced but they have made it clear the new Rewarding Events will begin in Aug.

Third, nobody knows if there is going to be a change, but there is a group of FT participants who are convinced there will be. There is nothing solid that indicates if they are right or wrong. There is language in the members.Marriott marketing materials that says you get ten points for your first meeting which some see as an indication after that you will not get ten points. There is other language that suggests there might be other big changes, but since the new program has not been announced, who knows?

Bottom Line: Do we know if there will be changes? No. Do I think there might be changes? Probably not immediate ones. Are there people on here thinking there will be changes? Yes. Can it be shown they are right or wrong? No. So anyone relying on future meeting points should be aware this is a possibility.

Search this Thread