FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

imgonnafly Dec 15, 10 5:34 pm

Well, as expected, the $50 hotel deal is over. Got a message today that they found out they cannot award points if you are a no-show. So if you booked a room, please cancel. There were about 10 people I referred. Congrats to those who got the rooms booked and points posted. I know at least 2 people emailed me to confirm they posted. Hopefully they wouldn't reverse the points once they are posted!

I probably won't have time to respond to everyones emails who are in my boxes so hope you read this. I also asked the manager to make sure each person knows the situation and gives them an opportunity to cancel their rooms.

vilntrav Dec 15, 10 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by imgonnafly (Post 15458023)
Well, as expected, the $50 hotel deal is over. Got a message today that they found out they cannot award points if you are a no-show. So if you booked a room, please cancel. There were about 10 people I referred. Congrats to those who got the rooms booked and points posted. I know at least 2 people emailed me to confirm they posted. Hopefully they wouldn't reverse the points once they are posted!

I probably won't have time to respond to everyones emails who are in my boxes so hope you read this. I also asked the manager to make sure each person knows the situation and gives them an opportunity to cancel their rooms.

Thanks for the help even if it does not work anymore, anyway !

In Europe I think we will see the same outcome, and room space costs between 100 and 200 Euros. On the other hand platinum status is a must in Europe when staying in a FS property.

GrizShel Dec 17, 10 9:04 am

Originally Posted by imgonnafly (Post 15392137)
I can vouch this works very easily. My points recently posted and got 10 elite night credits and points on the $50 i was charged. I was also a no show at the hotel. They were very easy to work with, and didn't question what I was doing - it's a win for them as they get to book me and collect $. I don't want to post the info here directly of the hotel, as if they book a thousand no show meetings in the next week, i think it might raise some red flags, but if you want some extra end of year nights, i'm happy to share exactly how to do this to make it work and also not raise a red flag - just send me an email [email protected] (if you PM I will respond but probably much slower). I think she might also give me a small referral bonus (I feel compelled to disclaim that upfront).

I thought you had to have 10 rooms reserved for at least one night to get the bonus nights credit?

In any case, you should expect any special offer ostensibly allowing no-shows to be quickly shut down if publicized (for one thing, Marriott Concierge is reading this and other threads almost every day - hi MC! :) ). It is the official policy of Marriott and most other hotels that I know of to not allow points or nights credit for no-shows (although in individual cases involving special circumstances you may have success in calling the property and getting management to make an exception for you.) I do understand in normal cases the thought that I should get what I paid for in terms of points and night credit even if I can't enjoy the room but I'd never expect this to be allowed in a case like yours.

SacTownGuy Dec 17, 10 9:33 am

I thought you had to have 10 rooms reserved for at least one night to get the bonus nights credit?

In any case, you should expect any special offer ostensibly allowing no-shows to be quickly shut down if publicized (for one thing, Marriott Concierge is reading this and other threads almost every day - hi MC! ). It is the official policy of Marriott and most other hotels that I know of to not allow points or nights credit for no-shows (although in individual cases involving special circumstances you may have success in calling the property and getting management to make an exception for you.) I do understand in normal cases the thought that I should get what I paid for in terms of points and night credit even if I can't enjoy the room but I'd never expect this to be allowed in a case like yours.

The 10 rooms thing was for some other bonus. I don't recall now but if you read the Terms it was for something else.

In terms of the no shows I am not sure that policy applies to meeting rooms generally. Meeting rooms are substantially different than hotel rooms. You typically can't cancel a meeting room the day before if things change for example as you can with a hotel room. They are just completely different to me. Plus, I know for myself when I didn't show for a meeting I still got my 10 nights.

ackpfft Jan 3, 11 3:03 pm

Just wanted to thank the folks on this thread for helping me keep Plat status. ^ I was 8 or 9 nights short and not sure what to do. I ended up scheduling a few meetings to take advantage of the year end roll over and pad some lifetime stats since this coming year will be a lighter travel year for me.

Meetings and days/points worked w/out a hitch and I got a good price by scheduling for short end of day times. The fact the business hotels were dead between X-mas and New Years probably didn't hurt either.

Though I admit I did feel a little silly showing up at a my meeting by myself. I just said I had some stragglers I was waiting on. :rolleyes: Not sure if they bought it or not. It turned out to be a nice quiet time to read the paper. Though I got no candies ;(

On the 31st I just showed up early and paid w/ my gift card saying none of my colleagues wanted to attend on NYE. They offered to let me cancel but after confessing I just really cared about the nights credit they just laughed and promised i wasn't the only points/nights obsessed person they see.
They were also kind enough to offer to let me take my niece swimming in their heated pool this week in lieu of the meeting. That sounds much more fun!

SacTownGuy Jan 3, 11 6:08 pm

They were also kind enough to offer to let me take my niece swimming in their heated pool this week in lieu of the meeting. That sounds much more fun!

Too funny. I have thought about doing that. We have a few local properties with indoor pools. We actually rent a room sometimes, go swimming, stay the night, get the free breakfast, and go home. Would prefer to spend $100 and get the pool access and 10 nights!

judolphin Jan 4, 11 9:47 am

Originally Posted by ackpfft (Post 15574824)
Just wanted to thank the folks on this thread for helping me keep Plat status. ^ I was 8 or 9 nights short and not sure what to do. I ended up scheduling a few meetings to take advantage of the year end roll over and pad some lifetime stats since this coming year will be a lighter travel year for me.

Meetings and days/points worked w/out a hitch and I got a good price by scheduling for short end of day times. The fact the business hotels were dead between X-mas and New Years probably didn't hurt either.

Though I admit I did feel a little silly showing up at a my meeting by myself. I just said I had some stragglers I was waiting on. :rolleyes: Not sure if they bought it or not. It turned out to be a nice quiet time to read the paper. Though I got no candies ;(

On the 31st I just showed up early and paid w/ my gift card saying none of my colleagues wanted to attend on NYE. They offered to let me cancel but after confessing I just really cared about the nights credit they just laughed and promised i wasn't the only points/nights obsessed person they see.

Exactly. Why would they care? It's money for them!

arizonawildcat Jan 4, 11 1:59 pm

Has anyone booked a 2011 meeting and already received the 10 bonus nights credit or did this expire on 12/21/2010?

ackpfft Jan 5, 11 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat (Post 15582177)
Has anyone booked a 2011 meeting and already received the 10 bonus nights credit or did this expire on 12/21/2010?

The website still lists the 10 days promo.

As a member, you also earn 10 Elite nights along with your points for each qualifying group, meeting, or event. Combining them with the Elite nights from your hotel stays will get you to Elite status even faster.

Not aware of any Dec 21 cut off. I did my meetings as late as Dec 31 and it worked.

arizonawildcat Jan 5, 11 6:53 pm

Sorry...meant 12/31/2010. I have a (real) meeting scheduled at a SHS tomorrow and will let you all know if this is still actively giving the 10 bonus nights if they post

heffa Jan 5, 11 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat (Post 15592220)
Sorry...meant 12/31/2010. I have a (real) meeting scheduled at a SHS tomorrow and will let you all know if this is still actively giving the 10 bonus nights if they post

The 10 bonus nights is an ongoing promotion. However, the Meetings Matter promotion where you earned double/triple points ended 12/31/2010.

More info regarding the 10 bonus nights and the Meetings Matter promo here.

EDIT: Seems that the Meetings Matter Promotion has been extended for 2011 as well. More info here.

krobbins Jan 7, 11 7:43 pm

Since I am using my Ritz Carlton account exclusively now, do you think this counts? RC is listed as a participating brand, but do you think I can get 10 nights credit on my Ritz account?

mreed911 Jan 7, 11 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl (Post 14597286)
Sorry, I don't believe in scamming the system. Most people earn their status with paid nights.

I took the liberty of contacting Marriott about this and this was NOT an intentional loophole. The purpose of this was to encourage REAL meeting planners to use Marriott properties for their needs, not for people to make fake meetings to earn nights at an extremely discounted rate. I am sure the loophole will close soon

Why would they care? They get the same revenue either way.

calitequilasippergirl Jan 7, 11 10:00 pm

Not true. Explained this at least a couple of times in the thread. People will only believe what they want to believe :) But it doesn't matter. I've left it alone and so should you. It's been great to hear about people's success with the program, especially those that used it for its intended purpose (actual meetings)

:)

arizonawildcat Jan 14, 11 4:18 am

Promotion is still active. Held meeting at a local SHS and received the 10 bonus nights and "Rewarding Events Points" posted to my MR account.