Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edcho
You are going to get all 75 nights in Jan?
yep. I actually ended up having a bunch of legitimate meetings 6 times in January, and the rest of it I will just book one hour sessions. so my question remains?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
yep. I actually ended up having a bunch of legitimate meetings 6 times in January, and the rest of it I will just book one hour sessions. so my question remains?
Wow. I edited my response above. It will last until Feb 2020 although we aren't really sure what the new program will look like in 2019. (i.e. they could add a new status above plat)

Under the Marriott current program rules, you get status for 14 months after the year in which you earn that status. So, if you get status at any point in 2018, you have status for 14 months from Jan 1, 2019.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by edcho
Wow. I edited my response above. It will last until Feb 2020 although we aren't really sure what the new program will look like in 2019. (i.e. they could add a new status above plat)
thank you very much!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Use website or in-person to request? Best times?

First: thank you to all who have shared advice and experiences for this program!

I live near an airport with a number of eligible properties near enough to my home and commuting route that actually showing for a meeting would be very easy for me (particularly if that would ease the process).

I saw a number of recent replies that indicate showing for the meeting isn't necessary if you can find the right property. Would anyone be willing to share thoughts on whether it would be better to go to properties in-person to *arrange* the meeting and contract or to just use the "find a hotel" button on the website?

Also, are there days/times that might be more likely to result in a property going for the business? (e.g., weekday lulls, Friday late-afternoon "exodus", Saturday evenings, and Sundays all spring to mind though I may be mistaken in my thinking)

Cheers!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by AAir_head
First: thank you to all who have shared advice and experiences for this program!

I live near an airport with a number of eligible properties near enough to my home and commuting route that actually showing for a meeting would be very easy for me (particularly if that would ease the process).

I saw a number of recent replies that indicate showing for the meeting isn't necessary if you can find the right property. Would anyone be willing to share thoughts on whether it would be better to go to properties in-person to *arrange* the meeting and contract or to just use the "find a hotel" button on the website?

Also, are there days/times that might be more likely to result in a property going for the business? (e.g., weekday lulls, Friday late-afternoon "exodus", Saturday evenings, and Sundays all spring to mind though I may be mistaken in my thinking)

Cheers!
Using the online request just puts you in touch. Physically going to the properties to arrange meetings would be fine, but much more cumbersome than just emailing the ones who respond to your online request to ferret out which one is optimal. Not to mention, by using email you have everything in writing and you don't have to coordinate times to meet with the right person.

Regarding times, there are definitely off peak periods when there should be more availability, but in my experience most of the properties willing to go for $50 have multiple meeting rooms and almost always have an opening during some time of the day. Rather than guessing, I just tell them I am flexible regarding the date and time for the interview I need to conduct, I name three or four ideals, and I told them to vary from any of those to accommodate my rate request if needed.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:52 pm

Once the property posts, the Wiki says it typically takes 3-15 business days to have it posted to the account. Any recent experiences? I assume this goes through Marriott HQ? Since the process doesn't seem to be instant
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mooper
Using the online request just puts you in touch. Physically going to the properties to arrange meetings would be fine, but much more cumbersome than just emailing the ones who respond to your online request to ferret out which one is optimal. Not to mention, by using email you have everything in writing and you don't have to coordinate times to meet with the right person.
And they normally respond within 24 hours. Just be advised that sales for some of the more upscale properties are handled by a Marriott corporate sales office, as opposed to a sales manager or sales director on-property (presumably) working for the franchisee. I'm guessing that the properties handled by Marriott are also managed by Marriott.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Once the property posts, the Wiki says it typically takes 3-15 business days to have it posted to the account. Any recent experiences? I assume this goes through Marriott HQ? Since the process doesn't seem to be instant
Every contract I have signed always has standard language about "approximately 10 business days." I had one today post for mid-December. I figure the person who posts was on vacation for Christmas and New Year's.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:46 am

I've done several meeting recently and all the points/nights have been post in the 48 hours after the event. I think that when the property post it, it is instantaneous. So it only depend on the reactivity of the property.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by gilles2512
I've done several meeting recently and all the points/nights have been post in the 48 hours after the event. I think that when the property post it, it is instantaneous. So it only depend on the reactivity of the property.
Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Every contract I have signed always has standard language about "approximately 10 business days." I had one today post for mid-December. I figure the person who posts was on vacation for Christmas and New Year's.
Originally Posted by gilles2512
They protect themselves by giving a generous time frame, but yes, the points post instantly to your account as soon as the rep uses the posting tool. And the points posted by the property then triggers the 10 EQNs by Marriott. Therefore, just ask how soon after your meeting they will post using the tool. In my experience, most will do it same or next day if the appropriate person is in the office. You can always just avoid bothering with a property that won't give you a straight answer.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by jeanie
Welcome to Flyertalk!
Thank you !
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, HHonors Gold
No Show = No Stay!

Just before Christmas, I realized I was exactly 10 nights short of maintaining my Platinum status.
Unfortunately, the contact I had at my usual Courtyard was no longer there so I use the meeting request tool in hopes of booking a meeting before the end of 2017.

The only response I got was from someone from a company in Texas that apparently deals with all the big chain hotels. This was my first experience dealing with someone who didn't work directly for the hotel. An employee who worked at the local hotel was was CC'ed on all communication. She quoted me $125 for an hour meeting. I countered $75 and she accepted.

Before I signed the contract, I wanted to confirm with her first that the stay would count for Elite night credit. She said no, only points. I then sent her the relevant link from the Marriott web site and she said:
We will certainly apply for the “Marriott Rewards Points”, but due to the cost of the event, it is up to Marriott to determine if this is a “qualifying event”, for either points or “elite nights”. Please be sure to add your Marriott Rewards number on the agreement under your signature.
As I hadn't heard form any other hotel, I took the chance and signed the agrreenent and the CC authorization form.

3 weeks later, and nothing had posted to my account: No points, no stay, and more importantly, my CC hadn't been charged.

Worried, I finally e-mailed my contact regarding this, and received this one sentence reply:

Being that you did not utilize the room after all, we did not charge you for your event.
I never received any communication from either my contact on the local Courtyard mentioning that I was a no show.
Since when does Marriott (or any other company for that matter) NOT want to maximize revenue?
I'm also surprised because I don't think I've seen any reports on this thread mentioning that their no show did not result in credit.

Is there anything I can do?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
I don't think so, it happened to me once. They think they are doing us a favor.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by neos
I never received any communication from either my contact on the local Courtyard mentioning that I was a no show.
Since when does Marriott (or any other company for that matter) NOT want to maximize revenue?
I'm also surprised because I don't think I've seen any reports on this thread mentioning that their no show did not result in credit.

Is there anything I can do?
Not really. I've had that happen, even at a property that previously charged.. Just rebook at another property and move on. They're doing you a favor (granted one that you would prefer not to; possibly saving themselves some paperwork) by not charging you for a no show in their eyes.

You could call Marriott and see if they'll swing your current status for this year. If it were me, I wouldn't mention anything about booking a dummy meeting to bridge the 10 night gap and then no showing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.