Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by vilntrav
The US possibility of being credited for meetings we don't show up to seems difficult to implement in Europe : few hotels, generally expensive, generally unwilling to offer 1-hour meeting for 2 persons...

once again Marriott is better for Americans living in the USA.

This is specially bad for Europeans as Platinum status means something in Europe, in terms of what kind of rooms we get.
Originally Posted by laxarrival
Has anyone found a cheap meeting room in northern cal? Cheapest I could find after calling several hotels is $200
If you're trying to book one where you don't show up, then location shouldn't matter... pick any hotel that qualifies.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:03 pm

Can someone clarify - do they have to be on that PDF list to get the nights credit?

Also, are you sure we get credit if we don't show? I called and asked there's a chance I may have to cancel last minute, would I still get my marriott credit and they said no, because it'll be a no-show charge instead of the meeting room charge.

Last edited by laxarrival; Nov 22, 2010 at 5:02 pm
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:29 pm

Also, are you sure we get credit if we don't show? I called and asked there's a chance I may have to cancel last minute, would I still get my marriott credit and they said no, because it'll be a no-show charge instead of the meeting room charge.

Life is risky. Live on the edge. For me I did not show for a meeting and I got the nights. My meeting was "real" but they didn't know if it was real or fake. I really don't think it matters but I do not know that. Just contact them an hour or two after your meeting is supposed to start, advise them the meeting fell through, and you hope to book with them again. They don't care about your nights. They just want to rent you another meeting room. Act professional and you will be treated professionally back. Don't ask about your nights over and over. If you book it they will come.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Meeting Booked

I booked an actual meeting in a Marriott hotel because of this thread. I totally forgot that you get night credits for meetings, and I didn't realize that meeting space was so inexpensive.

I may make a number of additional meetings at Marriott next year as well.

ZakkW
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Booking a Meeting

Please provide any location where I can book a meeting this year at the lowest price. I saw one listed for $50 but was unable to find it on Marriott.com. I guess Fairfield is the best option for low prices. Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Originally Posted by danola
Please provide any location where I can book a meeting this year at the lowest price. I saw one listed for $50 but was unable to find it on Marriott.com. I guess Fairfield is the best option for low prices. Thanks
If you call a few flyover Fairfields you'll get some pleasant suprises.

What will Marriott corporate think about a run of inexpensive, unattended meetings?

----------------------------

ETA: I thought I found the Holy Grail. Emporia KS Fairfield will rent the breakfast room for $20/hr. ^^^ But they don't have a meeting room so meetings aren't coded in the computer. Fun stuff!

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Nov 24, 2010 at 10:48 am
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
A 2-hour meeting in the Gem City Fairfield is $50 bucks. I need 20 nights to reach gold. This is pretty remedial, but can someone explain why Gold, or even Plat is so desirable? I don't really travel that much, but LOVE to game systems.
Pierre, please help me locate the Gem City Fairfield, I can't find it on the Marriott website. Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by danola
Pierre, please help me locate the Gem City Fairfield, I can't find it on the Marriott website. Thanks
Ever heard of Bing or Google?

http://hotel.uscity.net/hotelinfo/15098.html
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Do meetings earn 10 points/dollar?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:32 am

Programs: M&M,UA MP Silver, MR LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by travel.flier
Do meetings earn 10 points/dollar?
No, it's 2 points/dollar or 3 points/dollar under the current VISA promo
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
I have a major problem--I called the Courtyard in PWM and inquired about meeting space--I was transferred to a Tony who would help me--no answer but I left a message to please call me--never heard from Tony. I then called the Residence Inn Auburn Maine and asked to speak to the person responsible for booking meeting room---was transferred to a supposed rep/agent--however my call went back to the front desk---I will now be directed to a different person--no answer--please leave your name and telephone number--- which I did--again no phone call. If I'm being referred to an agent(s) off property--there's a serious problem--no one is being contacted and local properties are getting short-ended from revenue-- this is ridiculous I wonder if local managers are aware of this problem? Does anyone have similar stories? Thanks very much and best of luck to all.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:08 am
Suspended

I can vouch this works very easily. My points recently posted and got 10 elite night credits and points on the $50 i was charged. I was also a no show at the hotel. They were very easy to work with, and didn't question what I was doing - it's a win for them as they get to book me and collect $. I don't want to post the info here directly of the hotel, as if they book a thousand no show meetings in the next week, i think it might raise some red flags, but if you want some extra end of year nights, i'm happy to share exactly how to do this to make it work and also not raise a red flag - just send me an email [email protected] (if you PM I will respond but probably much slower). I think she might also give me a small referral bonus (I feel compelled to disclaim that upfront).
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by imgonnafly
I can vouch this works very easily. My points recently posted and got 10 elite night credits and points on the $50 i was charged. I was also a no show at the hotel. They were very easy to work with, and didn't question what I was doing - it's a win for them as they get to book me and collect $. I don't want to post the info here directly of the hotel, as if they book a thousand no show meetings in the next week, i think it might raise some red flags, but if you want some extra end of year nights, i'm happy to share exactly how to do this to make it work and also not raise a red flag - just send me an email [email protected] (if you PM I will respond but probably much slower). I think she might also give me a small referral bonus (I feel compelled to disclaim that upfront).
Thanks, this was extremely cheap and easy, and night posted! Here's to Marriott Platinum!
Old Dec 11, 2010, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Oops

Sorry everybody - I apparently gave out my incorrect email address. The correct addy is:

[email protected]
Old Dec 11, 2010, 3:35 pm

I just did this today, looking forward to my 10 nights posting and to my Platinum. Thanks to all for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.