FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

mooper Nov 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by vilntrav (Post 15233453)
The US possibility of being credited for meetings we don't show up to seems difficult to implement in Europe : few hotels, generally expensive, generally unwilling to offer 1-hour meeting for 2 persons...

once again Marriott is better for Americans living in the USA.

This is specially bad for Europeans as Platinum status means something in Europe, in terms of what kind of rooms we get.

Originally Posted by laxarrival (Post 15242948)
Has anyone found a cheap meeting room in northern cal? Cheapest I could find after calling several hotels is $200

If you're trying to book one where you don't show up, then location shouldn't matter... pick any hotel that qualifies.

laxarrival Nov 22, 2010 4:03 pm

Can someone clarify - do they have to be on that PDF list to get the nights credit?

Also, are you sure we get credit if we don't show? I called and asked there's a chance I may have to cancel last minute, would I still get my marriott credit and they said no, because it'll be a no-show charge instead of the meeting room charge.

SacTownGuy Nov 22, 2010 6:29 pm

Also, are you sure we get credit if we don't show? I called and asked there's a chance I may have to cancel last minute, would I still get my marriott credit and they said no, because it'll be a no-show charge instead of the meeting room charge.

Life is risky. Live on the edge. For me I did not show for a meeting and I got the nights. My meeting was "real" but they didn't know if it was real or fake. I really don't think it matters but I do not know that. Just contact them an hour or two after your meeting is supposed to start, advise them the meeting fell through, and you hope to book with them again. They don't care about your nights. They just want to rent you another meeting room. Act professional and you will be treated professionally back. Don't ask about your nights over and over. If you book it they will come.

ZakkW Nov 23, 2010 7:33 am

Meeting Booked

I booked an actual meeting in a Marriott hotel because of this thread. I totally forgot that you get night credits for meetings, and I didn't realize that meeting space was so inexpensive.

I may make a number of additional meetings at Marriott next year as well.

ZakkW

danola Nov 23, 2010 7:20 pm

Booking a Meeting

Please provide any location where I can book a meeting this year at the lowest price. I saw one listed for $50 but was unable to find it on Marriott.com. I guess Fairfield is the best option for low prices. Thanks

pierre mclopez Nov 24, 2010 9:36 am

Originally Posted by danola (Post 15261349)
Please provide any location where I can book a meeting this year at the lowest price. I saw one listed for $50 but was unable to find it on Marriott.com. I guess Fairfield is the best option for low prices. Thanks

If you call a few flyover Fairfields you'll get some pleasant suprises.

What will Marriott corporate think about a run of inexpensive, unattended meetings?

----------------------------

ETA: I thought I found the Holy Grail. Emporia KS Fairfield will rent the breakfast room for $20/hr. ^^^ But they don't have a meeting room so meetings aren't coded in the computer. :td::td::td: Fun stuff! :D

danola Nov 30, 2010 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez (Post 15242035)
A 2-hour meeting in the Gem City Fairfield is $50 bucks. I need 20 nights to reach gold. This is pretty remedial, but can someone explain why Gold, or even Plat is so desirable? I don't really travel that much, but LOVE to game systems.

Pierre, please help me locate the Gem City Fairfield, I can't find it on the Marriott website. Thanks

jan_az Nov 30, 2010 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by danola (Post 15354755)
Pierre, please help me locate the Gem City Fairfield, I can't find it on the Marriott website. Thanks

Ever heard of Bing or Google?

http://hotel.uscity.net/hotelinfo/15098.html

travel.flier Dec 1, 2010 12:54 am

Do meetings earn 10 points/dollar?

Exdon Dec 1, 2010 4:32 am

Originally Posted by travel.flier (Post 15356764)
Do meetings earn 10 points/dollar?

No, it's 2 points/dollar or 3 points/dollar under the current VISA promo

derby44 Dec 1, 2010 12:23 pm

I have a major problem--I called the Courtyard in PWM and inquired about meeting space--I was transferred to a Tony who would help me--no answer but I left a message to please call me--never heard from Tony. I then called the Residence Inn Auburn Maine and asked to speak to the person responsible for booking meeting room---was transferred to a supposed rep/agent--however my call went back to the front desk---I will now be directed to a different person--no answer--please leave your name and telephone number--- which I did--again no phone call. If I'm being referred to an agent(s) off property--there's a serious problem--no one is being contacted and local properties are getting short-ended from revenue-- this is ridiculous I wonder if local managers are aware of this problem? Does anyone have similar stories? Thanks very much and best of luck to all.

imgonnafly Dec 6, 2010 11:08 am

I can vouch this works very easily. My points recently posted and got 10 elite night credits and points on the $50 i was charged. I was also a no show at the hotel. They were very easy to work with, and didn't question what I was doing - it's a win for them as they get to book me and collect $. I don't want to post the info here directly of the hotel, as if they book a thousand no show meetings in the next week, i think it might raise some red flags, but if you want some extra end of year nights, i'm happy to share exactly how to do this to make it work and also not raise a red flag - just send me an email [email protected] (if you PM I will respond but probably much slower). I think she might also give me a small referral bonus (I feel compelled to disclaim that upfront).

travel.flier Dec 11, 2010 11:24 am

Originally Posted by imgonnafly (Post 15392137)
I can vouch this works very easily. My points recently posted and got 10 elite night credits and points on the $50 i was charged. I was also a no show at the hotel. They were very easy to work with, and didn't question what I was doing - it's a win for them as they get to book me and collect $. I don't want to post the info here directly of the hotel, as if they book a thousand no show meetings in the next week, i think it might raise some red flags, but if you want some extra end of year nights, i'm happy to share exactly how to do this to make it work and also not raise a red flag - just send me an email [email protected] (if you PM I will respond but probably much slower). I think she might also give me a small referral bonus (I feel compelled to disclaim that upfront).

Thanks, this was extremely cheap and easy, and night posted! Here's to Marriott Platinum!

imgonnafly Dec 11, 2010 2:40 pm

Oops

Sorry everybody - I apparently gave out my incorrect email address. The correct addy is:

[email protected]

danola Dec 11, 2010 3:35 pm

I just did this today, looking forward to my 10 nights posting and to my Platinum. Thanks to all for your help.