Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by naumank
The Wiki says I should get a contract. When I did my search, some hotels let me me reserve a room directly by clicking on the reserve button. Should I call for a contract? Or will they send me a contract anyway?
Some have had issues getting the correct credit after the event. Not having anything in writing could make it tough to collect should they not want to properly post the event. Is there anything online about the 10-night credit for your event? Maybe they will send you the paperwork, but the kinda defeats the purpose of online bookings.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
The Wiki says I should get a contract. When I did my search, some hotels let me me reserve a room directly by clicking on the reserve button. Should I call for a contract? Or will they send me a contract anyway?
Online booking through Marriott absolutely works for the 10 nights/each meeting.

When you do a One-Stop Booking reservation (through Marriott's website for meeting space and choose the Reserve Now instead of Request Quote), that is a contract. You have to agree to the terms & conditions including cancellation policy to book. You'll receive a confirmation from the Marriott corporate group (Quick Group Omaha), and usually a follow up from the hotel's event coordinator. Some hotels will send you a food & beverage order (sometimes requesting that you return it signed, others it's advisory) or a credit card authorization. Make sure your Marriott Rewards number is there or add it manually and mention it to the event coordinator. Other hotels will use the online booking information & credit card only.

Don't get hung up on not having a piece of paper saying you'll get 10 nights for a meeting! Focus on having the hotel enter your event in the Group Posting Tool. If it doesn't post automatically within a reasonable period, talk to the event coordinator, make sure they have your MR# and say you're missing points, not nights, for the event. Marriott will take care of the 10 nights when your event posts as an event, the hotel doesn't do it directly.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Online booking through Marriott absolutely works for the 10 nights/each meeting.

When you do a One-Stop Booking reservation (through Marriott's website for meeting space and choose the Reserve Now instead of Request Quote), that is a contract. You have to agree to the terms & conditions including cancellation policy to book. You'll receive a confirmation from the Marriott corporate group (Quick Group Omaha), and usually a follow up from the hotel's event coordinator. Some hotels will send you a food & beverage order (sometimes requesting that you return it signed, others it's advisory) or a credit card authorization. Make sure your Marriott Rewards number is there or add it manually and mention it to the event coordinator. Other hotels will use the online booking information & credit card only.

Don't get hung up on not having a piece of paper saying you'll get 10 nights for a meeting! Focus on having the hotel enter your event in the Group Posting Tool. If it doesn't post automatically within a reasonable period, talk to the event coordinator, make sure they have your MR# and say you're missing points, not nights, for the event. Marriott will take care of the 10 nights when your event posts as an event, the hotel doesn't do it directly.
@rustykettel You are right on. I went through the process to book a meeting room at a Courtyard next Thursday. I was able to book half a day (1-5pm) for half of the daily rate - it will be $150 plus taxes, etc. I didn't select any AV equipment or catering as I will be there by myself this time.

I was presented with an electronic contract at booking and then received an email confirmation with the contract terms. It doesn't say anything about the 10 nights for a meeting but I will watch out for the posting and follow up if they don't properly use the Group Posting Tool.

This year, I need 8 more nights to re-qualify for Platinum. But, in the future, I might actually book conference rooms at Marriott properties for more meetings as I run my own start-up and currently use Regus for conference rooms. $150 for a 4 hour meeting seems very reasonable.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:13 pm

so its possible to book a meeting room with just 1 person? would it be weird to do it at the same hotel over and over again?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:47 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hchang2017
so its possible to book a meeting room with just 1 person? would it be weird to do it at the same hotel over and over again?
Yes, you can do this. But, I always book it for two. Really the hotels seems to be on to this and not care. I've not shown up for any of my bookings and not had any problems. (Knock on wood.)
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I've booked 4 legit meetings at Marriott since late summer. I've racked up 40 hotel nights because of this benefit. In my experience, none of the contracts have ever included it, but they always include the language about bonus points based on spend. Does anyone know if these count toward lifetime status?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I've booked 4 legit meetings at Marriott since late summer. I've racked up 40 hotel nights because of this benefit. In my experience, none of the contracts have ever included it, but they always include the language about bonus points based on spend. Does anyone know if these count toward lifetime status?
Yes they do, both for points and nights.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Yes, it's weird. I had a manager notice a couple of years ago; I told him what I was doing, and he booked more for me at a slight discount (at something like 4-5 AM so it's not like they impacted real business).
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
I was able to book half a day (1-5pm) for half of the daily rate - it will be $150 plus taxes, etc.
That's a much higher priced than you need to pay, even if it's still a good deal. There are many hotels that will do $50 if you ask for something quick, small, no-frills, and off-peak... $50 per 10 nights - very simple.

Yes, one person is fine - what do they care? Two people also works great for a $50 quote. If you're concerned about appearing like you are really going to meet, say it's a 30 minute interview or strategy session or similar. But there's no reason to worry about any of that... you shouldn't even bother showing up. Just book a $50 meeting, sign the contract, and make sure they use the Posting Tool to post your revenue... that will in turn generate the points and 10 EQNs.

Last edited by mooper; Oct 30, 2017 at 5:09 am Reason: typo fix
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Well, I'm giving this a whirl. Just put in a request at three local hotels. I picked ones that had multiple meeting rooms, in hopes that there would be a small one among them. Submitted the request, and we'll see what happens. Thanks for all the info.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by mooper
That's a much higher priced than you need to pay, even if it's still a good deal. There are many hotels that will do $50 if you ask for something quick, small, n-frills, and off-peak... $50 per 10 nights - very simple.
I know a FTer who's doing this right now. Normally he wouldn't bother, but he's getting close to Lifetime & wants to secure it before the program merger officially occurs late next year. He's got the points but is shy on the nights.

Cheers.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I know a FTer who's doing this right now. Normally he wouldn't bother, but he's getting close to Lifetime & wants to secure it before the program merger officially occurs late next year. He's got the points but is shy on the nights.

Cheers.
Isn't lifetime only for the lifetime of the program? There's no guarantee that lifetime platinum will be transferred to the new program.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:39 pm
Suspended

What's the best rate that everyone has gotten?
YoungBubbie likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
your premise discredited numerous times by MR and CEO albeit never stating what the new P benefits will be in the new program

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Isn't lifetime only for the lifetime of the program? There's no guarantee that lifetime platinum will be transferred to the new program.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Srisarin
your premise discredited numerous times by MR and CEO albeit never stating what the new P benefits will be in the new program
Perhaps it has been "discredited," but technically speaking lifetime status is for the lifetime of the program. There are plenty of examples of loyalty programs that have devalued or changed well-established benefits.

I certainly wouldn't chase lifetime platinum status assuming it will be 100% the same in the new, combined program. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a new, defined top-level above platinum because there are simply too many golds and platinums. For example, the number of elites on a Friday night at the Renaissance in downtown Toledo -- hardly a major business city -- was 3 pages long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.