Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:43 pm

Has anyone successfully broken up a room block to get more points? I am booking 40 rooms for 3 nights each at one hotel in Jan. She is sending me a contact tomorrow but it seems like 10 nights credit for 120 room nights is low. Even if I split it to 20 and 20 I would get more points. Any ideas?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by brandik
Has anyone successfully broken up a room block to get more points? I am booking 40 rooms for 3 nights each at one hotel in Jan. She is sending me a contact tomorrow but it seems like 10 nights credit for 120 room nights is low. Even if I split it to 20 and 20 I would get more points. Any ideas?
Uncertain but I think you would have to book "separate events" which means (I would think) you would loose pricing power.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by brandik
This thread is more for the conference room program. You'll want to search for the event planner thread. However, breaking it up into smaller groups I would expect to get a lesser discount, so keep that in your computations.

In your case, as the event planner, you will get 10 night credit without having to stay. Those that are staying will get credit for the nights they stay too. If there are some that do not belong to MR, then booking multiple rooms with those that are members will at least keep the lost credit to a minimum.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:39 am

Over the past 2-3 years I've had about 5-7 "meetings" at a local Courtyard. The price ($175) was a bit high but I never needed a ton of them so spread out across 24+ months. At the beginning of the summer I finally had a legitimate meeting (Similar 1-2 hours no food, no frills) with others attending and the final bill was ~$210. Previously the 22% service charge was only applied to meetings with food/beverage. I didn't catch the fine print, but the contract this time around was worded in such a vague way to imply that the 22% service charge is charged on all meetings. After back and forth with the MR Rep, they cited this slight change in the contract.

I've seen people report this service charge throughout the thread but I do not know how prevalent it is.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by nova08
Over the past 2-3 years I've had about 5-7 "meetings" at a local Courtyard. The price ($175) was a bit high but I never needed a ton of them so spread out across 24+ months. At the beginning of the summer I finally had a legitimate meeting (Similar 1-2 hours no food, no frills) with others attending and the final bill was ~$210. Previously the 22% service charge was only applied to meetings with food/beverage. I didn't catch the fine print, but the contract this time around was worded in such a vague way to imply that the 22% service charge is charged on all meetings. After back and forth with the MR Rep, they cited this slight change in the contract.

I've seen people report this service charge throughout the thread but I do not know how prevalent it is.
Does anyone know if I can book 2 seperate meetings in a single day at 2 seperate hotels and get 20 nights credit in total??

I have about 6 hours to kill in a new city and as I am planning to get platinum status I thought I will book 2 meetings of 1 - 1.5 hours each.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Ksw299
Does anyone know if I can book 2 seperate meetings in a single day at 2 seperate hotels and get 20 nights credit in total??

I have about 6 hours to kill in a new city and as I am planning to get platinum status I thought I will book 2 meetings of 1 - 1.5 hours each.
Although I've never tried it, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get credit for both. If it were me, I'd just make sure to schedule the events where it would be reasonable to be in both locations. The only concern I would have if both properties were managed by the same company and the same person does the bookings. There's nothing in the T&Cs that require you to be in attendance, but we've seen some CSRs go out of their way to deny a benefit.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Red face

Originally Posted by Ksw299

I did just that, scheduling consecutive hour-long meetings at 2 properties a 5-minute walk from each other. Interestingly, they did pick up on the double booking, with one of the properties emailing me to confirm that I did indeed want to book 2 separate meetings, and that I hadn't mistakenly booked the same meeting at 2 properties. I confirmed that yes I wanted 2 separate meetings, and everything went off without a hitch, both posting with the correct points and 10 nights each.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Twickenham
I did just that, scheduling consecutive hour-long meetings at 2 properties a 5-minute walk from each other. Interestingly, they did pick up on the double booking, with one of the properties emailing me to confirm that I did indeed want to book 2 separate meetings, and that I hadn't mistakenly booked the same meeting at 2 properties. I confirmed that yes I wanted 2 separate meetings, and everything went off without a hitch, both posting with the correct points and 10 nights each.
Were the two properties related to each other? If so, I understand just one getting back with you. If not, sounds like the other was hoping to grab the money and run (or didn't know how to check).

I actually like it when they follow up to make sure everything is correct.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Although I've never tried it, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get credit for both. If it were me, I'd just make sure to schedule the events where it would be reasonable to be in both locations. The only concern I would have if both properties were managed by the same company and the same person does the bookings. There's nothing in the T&Cs that require you to be in attendance, but we've seen some CSRs go out of their way to deny a benefit.
Thanks for your inputs. The properties are about 4 miles from each other and I was thinking about giving 30 mins between the meetings.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:01 am

Thanks for your inputs. I will go ahead and book them and provide an update later as to how it went. I will also look out for the person managing this at both the properties.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
There's no requirement for the event planner to be in both or either meeting. The only issue would be if the property's event coordinator posts both meetings under a single event (more likely laziness than malice). Two separate properties reduces that likehood if they have different event coordinators doing the entry.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
There's no requirement for the event planner to be in both or either meeting. The only issue would be if the property's event coordinator posts both meetings under a single event (more likely laziness than malice). Two separate properties reduces that likehood if they have different event coordinators doing the entry.
Isn't that what I said? I'd still bet if they messed it up, there would still be an attempt to justify it instead of correcting it.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
How much did this cost?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Isn't that what I said? I'd still bet if they messed it up, there would still be an attempt to justify it instead of correcting it.
Yes, you did. My apologies, I didn't read your post closely enough after the op's and restated exactly what you had already said.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
I've had a one hour morning "meeting" and a one hour afternoon "meeting" at the same hotel (and the hotel was well aware of the fact that these were "meetings" as I was quite up front with them).

No problem with any of them posting via the Group Posting Tool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.