FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

Seabilly May 22, 2017 7:00 pm

Finally gave this a try as a shortcut to Plat. Did a one hour interview meeting on May 8th and the nights/points posted today. Probably won't do this again since I'm a long way from points for Lifetime anything, but at least I'll be Plat next year (as soon as my Sat night stays posts)

It was actually pretty painless. The only thing I noticed is that the form I sent in didn't have a space for my Marriott number so I wrote it in next to my signature before scanning/sending the form back.

jdang May 23, 2017 12:28 pm

So I finally hit platinum with 6 meetings and the credit card. I got a mail congratulating me in getting platinum. On there it showed the requirements for getting Silver, Gold, and Platinum and the benefits of each. Under each it showed

Silver 10 nights or 1 meeting
Gold 50 nights or 5 meetings
Platinum 75 nights or 8 meetings.

It actually listed meetings as a way for getting platinum so I would assuming they're not counting this way of getting platinum as a loophole or anything.

Flapster May 23, 2017 2:24 pm

The hotel is denying me credit as they claim there is a minimum spend threshold. Marriott have not responded to email (5 separate emails in a month).

Has anyone else encountered this, or can shed any light?

Thanks

kklems May 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Don't get in a big discussion. Just send them
an email asking for the Marriott points to
be posted (would get 1 point per $ regardless of spend). Some posters have mentioned asking the property to
post the points using the group posting tool (the exact name is in the wiki). Once the points post the nights should come automatically.

RogerD408 May 24, 2017 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Flapster (Post 28350405)
The hotel is denying me credit as they claim there is a minimum spend threshold. Marriott have not responded to email (5 separate emails in a month).

Thanks

There are people that will make up their own rules to deny credit (after all that's extra work for them). It's sad when they try that with people that know better. Push the issue with MR and it should get resolved in your favor.

Which property is doing this? You might get more specific advice if someone has had the same problem at that property. And do keep us informed how to turns out.

SacTownGuy May 24, 2017 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Flapster (Post 28350405)

Thanks

For sure push on this. There is no min spend rule. I have spent $75. Others have reported $50. I would write a letter to Marriott headquarters. It's really a simple situation and should be resolved.

Ronlap May 31, 2017 11:45 am

I booked and missed two meetings at a midwest property. Manager called to tell me that she will not book any more meetings for me.

RogerD408 May 31, 2017 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ronlap (Post 28383762)
I booked and missed two meetings at a midwest property. Manager called to tell me that she will not book any more meetings for me.

But I'm sure they put the charge through real quick!!!

Yes, this is not in the spirit of the T&Cs, but certainly within the terms. I doubt MR will attempt a fix until maybe after the final merge.

rustykettel May 31, 2017 8:01 pm

Plenty of fish in the sea! Lots of other properties if you're going to book more meetings.

jdang Jun 1, 2017 10:31 am

Anybody doing events for night get platinum premier? I heard normally it is 130+ nights. just curious if events count for that or it requires actual night stays to get it.

RogerD408 Jun 1, 2017 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by jdang (Post 28388294)
Anybody doing events for night get platinum premier? I heard normally it is 130+ nights. just curious if events count for that or it requires actual night stays to get it.

MR has not released anything other than PPs are the top 3% of the members. They have not stated if that was based upon nights, stays, $s, or number of known executives. Chasing PP with unneeded stays is not wise. It only takes one person doing 1 item more than you to knock you out of the running. Do the stays you need to do, do the stays you want to do and see where everything shakes out. There is no line to step over to say you are in.

rustykettel Jun 1, 2017 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 28388961)
MR has not released anything other than PPs are the top 3% of the members. They have not stated if that was based upon nights, stays, $s, or number of known executives. Chasing PP with unneeded stays is not wise.

Not only that, but why ask for additional scrutiny? Using meetings to get a few nights over a hump is great. Having large numbers of meetings with extremely low revenue is just begging for someone to take another look at the program.

jdang Jun 1, 2017 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 28389182)
Not only that, but why ask for additional scrutiny? Using meetings to get a few nights over a hump is great. Having large numbers of meetings with extremely low revenue is just begging for someone to take another look at the program.

Like the OP's wife having 500+ nights, just curious people who actually doing events for the events and getting nights as a bonus if they got PP getting 130+ night in a year.

Considering nights roll over, I was thinking maybe 150 nights for platinum for 2 years and perhaps maybe chance of PP for having 130+ nights.

I know the 130+ night is probably not the requirements to be top 3%, just curious anyone with with that many nights has gotten PP.

PayItForward Jun 1, 2017 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by jdang (Post 28389600)
Like the OP's wife having 500+ nights, just curious people who actually doing events for the events and getting nights as a bonus if they got PP getting 130+ night in a year.

Considering nights roll over, I was thinking maybe 150 nights for platinum for 2 years and perhaps maybe chance of PP for having 130+ nights.

I know the 130+ night is probably not the requirements to be top 3%, just curious anyone with with that many nights has gotten PP.

My money is that PP is a reflection of both high stays and high revenue, not unlike IHG Royal Ambassador status. Invite only status typically leverage highly on recognizing high spenders but as a loyalty program, they would probably also want to encourage and cultivate return business. A meeting planner / event organiser certainly can hit both if events are in the '000s each. Imagine bringing in events with over millions in revenue annually and the event nights. I would think PP would be a real possibility. Think trade show / conferences planners..

dgreen12 Jun 1, 2017 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by jdang (Post 28389600)
just curious anyone with with that many nights has gotten PP.

No.

I pumped up my nights in 2016 via meetings to match the points that will come into the account from SPG when the programs merge.

Didn't receive PP, didn't expect to.

I'm hopeful that the SPG points will count for lifetime status when the programs merge --- but it's not going to kill me if they don't.