FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

TrojanHorse Nov 11, 10 4:21 am

are you guys sticking to hotels on the list? or are you just using random nearby locations? How are you getting the sales reps email to write to? This is one of my to do things this afternoon

SacTownGuy Nov 11, 10 8:33 am

Trojan-
There is a place on the Marriott web page where you can enter info like you would for a hotel reservation and then the hotel emails you within 24 hours. Or just call them. Both of my recent meetings were on the list. However, I am not sure if the list was only for Meeting Matters bonus points program which I believe is different than the 10 elite nights. I am not sure.

TrojanHorse Nov 11, 10 8:51 am

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy (Post 15119821)
Trojan-
There is a place on the Marriott web page where you can enter info like you would for a hotel reservation and then the hotel emails you within 24 hours. Or just call them. Both of my recent meetings were on the list. However, I am not sure if the list was only for Meeting Matters bonus points program which I believe is different than the 10 elite nights. I am not sure.

Thanks for the info

I guess thats where I'm a bit confused; what the list is for exactly and which ones are for the 10 elite nights which is what I really want

TH

SacTownGuy Nov 11, 10 10:54 am

Trojan-
Just go off the list since you know they work. It's really easy. The location does not really matter as you don't have to go there.

Renting a meeting room takes all of 5 minutes.

The points/nights for my recent cancelled meeting actually posted within 24 hours.

cln Nov 15, 10 2:14 pm

Will you get the 10eqn also for meetings next year ?

SacTownGuy Nov 15, 10 2:31 pm

Which hotel...

Several people sent me PM's asking which hotel I used. I want to keep it private. It's really easy though. Just book a hotel on the list for a short meeting. It's not like these hotels care if you show up. There is no requirement that you show up to have a meeting. I don't understand why people are stuck on that. A lot of meetings don't happen for whatever reason. Just pick one off the list, book it for an hour or hour an half (I think mine was 90 minutes) and you are good to go. It will be around $100. They don't care why you are having a meeting. Keep it simple people! It's not as complicated as people make it sound. It's just a meeting. I emailed my contact the day my meeting was supposed to happen told her I hadn't used it since I didn't have enough interest and would book with her again in the future (which i will). She said no problem. Points/nights appeared the next morning I believe.

I am about to book another, legitimate, meeting at a different location. I don't need the nights but if I have to have a meeting somewhere might as well get the nights!

As for continuing next year I believe someone posted several pages ago that it did but I am not positive. I have not read the rules on that.

Good luck.

jan_az Nov 16, 10 1:25 pm

I am actually looking at this for DH. He has well in excess of 150 nights (real bed ones) this yr - but with the rollover counting twice ( 2010 and 2011) this would actually be 20 nites towards lifetime status

kennycrudup Nov 16, 10 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by jan_az (Post 15159448)
[DH] has well in excess of 150 [BIB] nights ... but with the rollover counting twice ... this would actually be 20 nites towards LT status

Hey- I didn't think about that. I'm rollover 'till (at least) 2012 for sure via BIB and didn't think I could get any benefit out of this. 10 LT nights per $100 might make it worthwhile, though!

jeff30189 Nov 17, 10 7:57 am

Help the new guy

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 15161482)
Hey- I didn't think about that. I'm rollover 'till (at least) 2012 for sure via BIB and didn't think I could get any benefit out of this. 10 LT nights per $100 might make it worthwhile, though!

I have never looked at LifeTime status, so using the example abovce, where does the LT component come into this above and beyond qualifying for status?

Also, are we 100% certain that Nights in excess of the 75 Platinum (or any other) threshold rollover? I thought other threads said the opposite.

vilntrav Nov 17, 10 8:40 am

Sorry I found the information I wanted

judolphin Nov 17, 10 9:59 am

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl (Post 14597286)
Sorry, I don't believe in scamming the system. Most people earn their status with paid nights.

I took the liberty of contacting Marriott about this and this was NOT an intentional loophole. The purpose of this was to encourage REAL meeting planners to use Marriott properties for their needs, not for people to make fake meetings to earn nights at an extremely discounted rate. I am sure the loophole will close soon

Did tattling on people giving Marriott money with probably 90% margin make you happy? I'm very glad you're not my mother... this kind of quasi-morality is a weird way to live life.

I'm not worried about you reporting this, because Marriott would have no reason to stop this... they get $100 of almost pure profit per booking. Why turn it away?

judolphin Nov 17, 10 11:00 am

Originally Posted by annerj (Post 15081168)
But even if it was a significant number do you think Marriott would care?

The way I see it is they get extra $ for meeting rooms that would have been empty.

They are giving night credit, which honestly if you are not staying enough to hit gold or plat then the status isn't costing them too much at all.

IMHO I think Marriott would be pleased with people paying for meeting rooms, used or not. YMMV

'zactly.

vilntrav Nov 17, 10 11:02 am

Can we be credited for meetings we book in hotels where we stay ? In this case would it be compulsory to book both stay and meeting at the same time ?
I understood if the meeting's bill is integrated in the room's folio promotion does not apply, but probably I misunderstood.

SacTownGuy Nov 17, 10 11:34 am

Can we be credited for meetings we book in hotels where we stay ? In this case would it be compulsory to book both stay and meeting at the same time ?
I understood if the meeting's bill is integrated in the room's folio promotion does not apply, but probably I misunderstood.

Of course. The bookings are completely separate and do not have to be done at the same time.

jan_az Nov 17, 10 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by jeff30189 (Post 15171244)
I have never looked at LifeTime status, so using the example abovce, where does the LT component come into this above and beyond qualifying for status?

Also, are we 100% certain that Nights in excess of the 75 Platinum (or any other) threshold rollover? I thought other threads said the opposite.

I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=6554

They come in - say in DH example

He has 150 BIB nites YTD. He is PP so 50 roll to next yr. Thatmeans those 50 nites end up counting as 100 towards lifetime status.

Does that help