FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

RogerD408 Mar 28, 2017 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyes1212 (Post 28099086)
Thanks for the tips. I called MR about it. The CSR said that it would qualify for the elite nights, as I expected. She also said that once the points post, the nights should follow within a day. If they don't post, then I should call her back and she would post them. Do CSR at MR have the ability to post the nights? I was under the impression that the hotel does it.

Unfortunately, some CSRs make up stories as well... Yes, generally the hotel is the one that ponies up the nights/points. I hope you got a name and extension in case it is needed. Your best hope is the property knows to use the proper posting tool (it is different than for stays) and everything flows through.

Good luck.

kerrigjl Apr 3, 2017 3:37 pm

Welp, someone's trying to monetize this:

http://loyaltylobby.com/2017/04/03/r...99-legitimate/

Here is the email from our reader Catherine:

"Hi Sebastian,

wonder if you heard about the offer that [name redacted by LL] put out basically selling Marriott Platinum status for USD 399. I can’t afford all these hotel stays right now that are required for Platinum the regular way but would invest the 399 to get a foot in the door. I attach the email one of the guys sent me."

Thanks, Cathy

My rule of thumb is: If something sounds too good to be true it usually is and once again these words rang true as soon as I glimpsed over the email she got.

Here is the essential part of it:

"… We have found a property that is able to credit the 10 conference room bookings for a total of 80 night credits.

So even if you don’t have a single stay with Marriott so far this year you can become Platinum in about a week.

We are happy to facilitate setting up the bookings in the correct order for you. You still only pay $399 – all we need is your Marriott Rewards account number and a one time payment from you. …"

melroseman Apr 3, 2017 3:51 pm

I read the same post. I am afraid this easy path to platinum is about to close. Would be another example of people going too far...

PayItForward Apr 3, 2017 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by kerrigjl (Post 28124847)
Welp, someone's trying to monetize this:

http://loyaltylobby.com/2017/04/03/r...99-legitimate/

Here is the email from our reader Catherine:

"Hi Sebastian,

wonder if you heard about the offer that [name redacted by LL] put out basically selling Marriott Platinum status for USD 399. I can’t afford all these hotel stays right now that are required for Platinum the regular way but would invest the 399 to get a foot in the door. I attach the email one of the guys sent me."

Thanks, Cathy

My rule of thumb is: If something sounds too good to be true it usually is and once again these words rang true as soon as I glimpsed over the email she got.

Here is the essential part of it:

"… We have found a property that is able to credit the 10 conference room bookings for a total of 80 night credits.

So even if you don’t have a single stay with Marriott so far this year you can become Platinum in about a week.

We are happy to facilitate setting up the bookings in the correct order for you. You still only pay $399 – all we need is your Marriott Rewards account number and a one time payment from you. …"

Originally Posted by melroseman (Post 28124914)
I read the same post. I am afraid this easy path to platinum is about to close. Would be another example of people going too far...

There's a property who will do USD 39.90 for a meeting??? :confused: Assuming that's inclusive of taxes? This clearly raises a red flag and just might be the tipping point.

Then again, Marriott might choose to shut down those accounts they identify as suspicious / frauds. Much like those folks who sell Hilton Diamond / Gold status online and the account owners having status revoked. The overall status match ability however remains.

Finally there could be a possibility where the seller does not even intend to deliver but just hope to grab as many USD 399 as they can before disappearing. The price is too good to be through considering (if true) that property will want a cut as does the facilitator out of just USD 399.00? My bet is on the vanishing act.

Regardless, it does bring unnecessary attention to a perk that I believe has benefited the properties and event organisers thus far and making Marriott a choice to consider over other chains.

mahasamatman Apr 3, 2017 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by melroseman (Post 28124914)
I am afraid this easy path to platinum is about to close.

Personally, I would be very happy to see it close.

zoqfotpik Apr 3, 2017 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by PayItForward (Post 28125902)
There's a property who will do USD 39.90 for a meeting??? :confused: Assuming that's inclusive of taxes? This clearly raises a red flag and just might be the tipping point.

There's actually a few properties that offer $50 (plus taxes and fees) per meeting. You only need eight of these (or $400 total) to earn Plat from scratch.

mster Apr 4, 2017 4:41 am

Several posters upthread mention booking meetings online. Is this still possible or is online search / "submit quote" / hope for a response the only method available other than calling?

sig05 Apr 4, 2017 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by mster (Post 28126976)
Several posters upthread mention booking meetings online. Is this still possible or is online search / "submit quote" / hope for a response the only method available other than calling?

Request a quote, then get the price. Move forward from there. Never called for a quote.

mster Apr 4, 2017 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by sig05 (Post 28129218)
Request a quote, then get the price. Move forward from there. Never called for a quote.

When you receive a quote via email can you then book the available meeting using the Marriott site? Or are you calling in to provide payment info?

Not trying to get stuck in the weeds here - just trying to determine if posters upthread saying "book online" only meant they used the "request quote" option online or if there is some additional site functionality I'm missing here.

JackE Apr 4, 2017 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by PayItForward (Post 28125902)

Finally there could be a possibility where the seller does not even intend to deliver but just hope to grab as many USD 399 as they can before disappearing. The price is too good to be through considering (if true) that property will want a cut as does the facilitator out of just USD 399.00? My bet is on the vanishing act.

$399 for nothing could be just the ante. They have both your credit card number and MR account number.

My guess is that, at best, they simply connect the suckers who pony up the $399 to a property that books meetings, or submit the paperwork.

sig05 Apr 5, 2017 5:32 am

Originally Posted by mster (Post 28130618)
When you receive a quote via email can you then book the available meeting using the Marriott site? Or are you calling in to provide payment info?

Not trying to get stuck in the weeds here - just trying to determine if posters upthread saying "book online" only meant they used the "request quote" option online or if there is some additional site functionality I'm missing here.

The property would contact me directly via email about meeting prices. Never went back through the website after I received a meeting price quite.

walayka Apr 6, 2017 7:08 pm

Found a place for $50. Hopefully everything will be fine.

kkl Apr 10, 2017 10:12 pm

Spoke to a marriott in Australia. Was told that if I no show I would not get the 10 nights. Meeting room has to be used?

RogerD408 Apr 11, 2017 6:47 am

Originally Posted by kkl (Post 28158777)
Spoke to a marriott in Australia. Was told that if I no show I would not get the 10 nights. Meeting room has to be used?

Correct, just like room bookings require your attendance to earn credit. HOWEVER, there are many properties that process the meeting booking regardless. Once this gets to be a problem for MR they will drop the hammer on this practice and things will change. This technique is buying status plain and simple and not the intention of the program.

Also, as I've said elsewhere, asking a property about MR program rules does not always get you the correct answer. There's a good chance the property will process the no show (especially if they are going to bill you for the reservation) through the group posting tool and credit will happen.

newdaybegin Apr 11, 2017 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 28160714)
Correct, just like room bookings require your attendance to earn credit. HOWEVER, there are many properties that process the meeting booking regardless. Once this gets to be a problem for MR they will drop the hammer on this practice and things will change. This technique is buying status plain and simple and not the intention of the program.

Also, as I've said elsewhere, asking a property about MR program rules does not always get you the correct answer. There's a good chance the property will process the no show (especially if they are going to bill you for the reservation) through the group posting tool and credit will happen.

I booked a meeting for the first time today, which the hotel reach out to me. I told her I will be there on this Friday for an interview. I try to look for my meeting under my profile but I can't find anything under reservation. Is there a place you look for your meeting reservation? I just want to make sure I will get the credit under my account. Hopefully she will charge my card without caring if someone be there or not!