Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Originally Posted by ords
I'm with RC and not at all, RC has the same rewarding events setup but the rates using them are high. I just booked through Marriott as described in the wiki.

Just make sure the programs are linked.
Not sure I understand the linking of the programs. Thought they are the same, just denoted differently for marketing purposes.

Appreciate your help.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Brituchenite
Thanks! I will call again tomorrow, and make sure I specify it has to be posted this way. If I get no joy, I will escalate.

I got a pretty good rate for the meeting room, and want to do another 4 to get to 60 nights; I have several 'real' nights booked for business trips this year so should be able to hit 75 nights.

But, I don't want to book 4 more meetings with that hotel if I'm not going to get the elite nights from them. I'll try a different hotel.
Called the Meeting Planner again! She said she is waiting for her GM to go into the Group Posting tool to sign off on the meetings! She reassured me that they would post! We'll see! If I don't get any joy by the middle of next week, I'll contact MR directly.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by annielee
did you guys go for the same hotel every week to get to platinum ??
The hotel I worked with for frequent meetings was aware of my goals and was happy to host my meetings.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:03 am

just tried one hotel and got successful posting almost immediately even before they charged my card :-) will wait for next month to book another meeting..

Originally Posted by dgreen12
The hotel I worked with for frequent meetings was aware of my goals and was happy to host my meetings.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by annielee
did you guys go for the same hotel every week to get to platinum ?? i found one hotel and the posting is instant (same day as the meeting event), but i do not want to raise any 'red flag' by scheduling every week :-)
Some people have reported hotels merging meetings on consecutive days into one meeting. Spacing them a week apart easily avoids that problem. No reason for that to raise any red flags.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:22 am

Had a new experience today. There was a hotel that incorrectly posted my meeting as a Bonus and not as an event. MR said that my contract must state that I will receive points and nights to be eligible for the MR rewarding events. I've hosted quite a few meetings and never gone through this before. I did a HUCA to speak to another rep, and even spoke to a supervisor, who confirmed the same sentiment.

Figured I'd pass this along as this is a potential shift in policy from what I've experienced in the past.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sig05
Had a new experience today. There was a hotel that incorrectly posted my meeting as a Bonus and not as an event. MR said that my contract must state that I will receive points and nights to be eligible for the MR rewarding events. I've hosted quite a few meetings and never gone through this before. I did a HUCA to speak to another rep, and even spoke to a supervisor, who confirmed the same sentiment.

Figured I'd pass this along as this is a potential shift in policy from what I've experienced in the past.
Did you call the hotel GM? Or just the MR line? I think the hotel GM has to post the nights.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by getagb
Did you call the hotel GM? Or just the MR line? I think the hotel GM has to post the nights.
My point of the contact is the Asst. GM. I've asked to have the GM call me. This is the same thing I have seen before - hotel blames Marriott and Marriott blames hotel.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:21 pm

just got to Gold, should be able to reach Platinum this month.., wondering when the Gold/Platinum status will be expiring ?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Anyone notice the language on the rewards page? Wonder if the 10 nights will be going away.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn/hotels.mi (scroll to bottom)

"10 Elite Nights when you book 10+ guest rooms for at least one night"
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by kklems
Anyone notice the language on the rewards page? Wonder if the 10 nights will be going away.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn/hotels.mi (scroll to bottom)

"10 Elite Nights when you book 10+ guest rooms for at least one night"
You missed the line below that.

- Maximum rewards of 50,000 points (3 points per $1 USD) or 15,000 miles (1 mile per $1 USD) with one qualifying event

- Points for each room night, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

- 10 Elite Nights when you book 10+ guest rooms for at least one night

- Instant Silver Elite status or Elite Night credit towards your next level up
Silver status = 10 nights
If you start from 0, you get (+10) = instant Silver
If you started from n, you end up with (n + 10), where 10 goes towards your next level up

Put it this way, if someone else are getting EQNs (room reservation credits), you need at least 10 room nights to get your share of 10 EQN. If no one else is getting night credits (no room reservations), Marriott gives you 10 EQN for the event.

Another way to see it is for events that includes nights, Marriott is potentially rewarding you and the actual guests for points and EQN. In the event only situation, Marriott only rewards one party (you).
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by PayItForward
You missed the line below that.

Silver status = 10 nights
If you start from 0, you get (+10) = instant Silver
If you started from n, you end up with (n + 10), where 10 goes towards your next level up

Put it this way, if someone else are getting EQNs (room reservation credits), you need at least 10 room nights to get your share of 10 EQN. If no one else is getting night credits (no room reservations), Marriott gives you 10 EQN for the event.

Another way to see it is for events that includes nights, Marriott is potentially rewarding you and the actual guests for points and EQN. In the event only situation, Marriott only rewards one party (you).
It seems MR has removed the page regarding how to earn 10 nights for booking a conference room only. Though many are reporting still getting it. The property needs to book the event using the proper tool (read upthread) and credit posts anywhere up to weeks later.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:56 am

I got this mail a few days ago:

Book meeting rooms instantly online now with MarriottMeetingRooms.co.uk, our revolutionary online meeting room booking system. Allowing you to save time and book your next meeting of up to 30 people, 30 days out instantly online.

Search a selection of renovated meeting rooms complete with the latest event technology, including BARCO Clickshare and EZ Cast wireless connections
View real-time availability and prices for the next 30 days
Book your date, setup, break and food & beverage options
Pay instantly and receive instant confirmation of your booking
Save time with your next booking, try it out now!

Rewarding Events
We believe hard work and dedication should always be rewarded. Now you can experience the Marriott difference, too.

Earn up to 50,000 Marriott Rewards® points every time you book a meeting or event. You'll also qualify for points each time you book 10 or more guest rooms for at least one night.

Hold at least one qualifying meeting or event with us within a calendar year, and you can enjoy Elite status. This gives you added privileges and benefits, such as priority booking, late checkout, gift shop discounts and exclusive member offers.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:13 am

I signed up for the Plat challenge and expected to complete it by mid-April. Does any one know if I would roll over any of the nights earned through this at the end of the year? I currently have 16 elite nights which is barely enough for Gold, but I status matched from SPG and then requested for Plat challenge.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
I signed up for the Plat challenge and expected to complete it by mid-April. Does any one know if I would roll over any of the nights earned through this at the end of the year? I currently have 16 elite nights which is barely enough for Gold, but I status matched from SPG and then requested for Plat challenge.
You would have to accrue 76+ earned nights (BIB or credit card) before seeing any rollover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.