FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

Reid Dec 15, 16 4:25 pm

Booked two meetings at a Fairfield, one for this morning, one for tomorrow morning. Paid $75 CDN ($56.25 USD) before provincial sales tax, no service charges. The 10 nights from this mornings meeting posted by 2pm the same day even though I didn't bother showing up. By the same time tomorrow I should be a platinum member.

YUL438 Dec 15, 16 9:04 pm


Originally Posted by dgreen12 (Post 27589102)
I go through my Marriott corporate contact and copy the person at the hotel.

is the "marriott corporate contact" something you requested or can you explain this a bit more? thanks!

Ewele Dec 16, 16 12:52 pm


Originally Posted by Reid (Post 27618149)
Booked two meetings at a Fairfield, one for this morning, one for tomorrow morning. Paid $75 CDN ($56.25 USD) before provincial sales tax, no service charges. The 10 nights from this mornings meeting posted by 2pm the same day even though I didn't bother showing up. By the same time tomorrow I should be a platinum member.

This is amazing! I am still waiting for a November meeting to post, even with the promise to post after calling them.

I still need to schedule more meetings if only one could find participating locations that will promptly post the 10 nights.

dgreen12 Dec 16, 16 11:34 pm


Originally Posted by YUL438 (Post 27619062)
is the "marriott corporate contact" something you requested or can you explain this a bit more? thanks!

When I first booked a hotel meeting room at the property, paperwork came from someone in San Francisco. I've continued to work with that person to book meeting rooms at the proper type in Washington state.

svo242 Dec 17, 16 2:43 pm

Question: If I book an event for two days, will that count as one meeting or two? I.E. so would I receive 10 night credits or 20 night credits?

RogerD408 Dec 17, 16 3:11 pm


Originally Posted by svo242 (Post 27626929)
Question: If I book an event for two days, will that count as one meeting or two? I.E. so would I receive 10 night credits or 20 night credits?

The program is per event... So unless you book it as two separate meetings you are only entitled to one event giving 10 nights credit.

robnc35 Dec 18, 16 5:23 am

Im in Bangkok has anyone done the meeting thing here??

svo242 Dec 18, 16 9:55 pm

Just want to confirm that earning platinum very early in the year (Jan/Feb 2017) will still result in platinum status through Feb 2019? And earning plat this way has no restrictions on matching to SPG plat? Thanks!

michaelp33183 Dec 19, 16 9:44 am

Still waiting for the night to post, but...
 
I usually travel enough that I get Platinum renewed, but I was a little short this year. I had never had a need for using meeting space, but remembered they count for 10 nights, so I turned to Google. It led me to this forum and then I checked my area for meeting spaces. Some were outrageous, and most don't list prices. There were two Courtyards, one convenient to me with no prices listed and one a little bit of a drive that listed a half day meeting space, no catering or A/V at $75.

I filled out the request form for the convenient Courtyard listing my budget as $75 and included in the notes that I was flexible on days and times. They ended up giving me the space for what I offered on a day that they would have otherwise had the space go unused, even though they said it's lower than their usual rates, which I think they said were around $150?

So, for a little research on area pricing and offering flexibility on the time, I was able to extend my Platinum benefits for another year.



UPDATE: The 10 nights posted to my account this morning, a day after my original post.

RogerD408 Dec 19, 16 10:48 am


Originally Posted by svo242 (Post 27632405)
Just want to confirm that earning platinum very early in the year (Jan/Feb 2017) will still result in platinum status through Feb 2019? And earning plat this way has no restrictions on matching to SPG plat? Thanks!

Typically status is good for the year you earn it, the year after that, and then through Feb the year after that. And, as long as you have your accounts linked, you status should match. Now the unknown is what is going to happen to the program in 2018 and how they will merge the accounts. Presumption is if your status is set to carry through Feb 2019, then it will carry over that long in the new program. There is nothing stating this and it's up to the new program to decide.

kar120c Dec 20, 16 8:43 pm

Can anyone post or PM me a hotel (& contact if available) where I can do a meeting without showing up for $100 or less?

I tried requesting quotes on the Marriott website & got no response. I called the closest one (a Fairfield Inn), the woman had to call Marriott to learn about the 10 EQNs (she told me I was confusing it with 10 MR points per dollar) & then quoted me $200 for half a conference room for an hour.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

fluffydot Dec 20, 16 10:02 pm


Originally Posted by robnc35 (Post 27629022)
Im in Bangkok has anyone done the meeting thing here??

I'm just in the final steps of securing a conference room at the Marriott Sukhumvit. Their minimum rate is THB3,000++ for 1 hour in a 10 person conference room. They were able to send me a contract within 1 business day, and it does mention that MRs will be posted after the event.

The sales manager is very nice to deal with. Initially she wanted to offer me free use of their meeting room in the executive lounge and was perplexed that I wanted to pay for a meeting room instead :p

Looking forward to staying there this weekend, and will probably use the hour in the conference room to answer some work emails.

robnc35 Dec 21, 16 11:12 pm

thanks fluffy dot... did you use the marriott website?? I'm not getting any response from them .. tried to book courtyard in bkk 3 different times 3000 is not bad please let me know how it worked out thanks

fluffydot Dec 22, 16 12:13 am


Originally Posted by robnc35 (Post 27647981)
thanks fluffy dot... did you use the marriott website?? I'm not getting any response from them .. tried to book courtyard in bkk 3 different times 3000 is not bad please let me know how it worked out thanks

My multiple submissions to the Marriott RFP website were ignored as well. I ended up just calling the hotel front desk and asked for transfer to their Meeting/Event Manager. Once connected you can ask what their minimum rental and exchange email contacts. They usually responded within 24 hrs and so far so good. I am all set for my 1 hour meeting this weekend.

Total estimated cost is THB3,531.-
I only needed two more nights to renew for Gold but this way is cheaper and faster.

robnc35 Dec 22, 16 12:18 am

Thanks Fluffy i will do the same


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:55 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.