Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by joeags
The exact same thing happened to me in the past 2 weeks. I contacted the Omaha group that e-mailed me the confirmation, and they told me to contact the hotel. I need the one meeting to hit platinum, and I'm not sure if I should try to book one more, or just wait to see if it eventually goes through. Of course I don't want to pay for an extra meeting since the extra nights won't benefit me next year.
How do you figure? The extra nights would rollover to next year and they'd double count for LT nights as I understand it.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
So how hard is this to do? I am two nights short of plat for this year and will be in SF next week..
Can I just find a marriott and book a room for a meeting?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
How do you figure? The extra nights would rollover to next year and they'd double count for LT nights as I understand it.
I rolled over 30 nights into this year, so I would need 105 for rollover. In addition, my wife is the lifetime target for our family - my points feed her total through transfers. I just happened to have a fluke year with night credits and carry over. Completely a "my situation only" answer.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by NDS88
I've tried quite a few properties now, they all only quote me a *daily* rate - instead of $100 or so for an hour or two. For folks seeing success with lower rates, are you paying by the hour, or for a full day just in a very affordable market?
Usually it's a half-day rate. So, if you see a daily rate of $250 at a property, expect to pay $125 for the half-day. Not all properties will do this - I've had 2 properties - both CYs - refuse to rent for less than the full day rate, and had 2 FS properties happily give me the lower half-day rate.

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
So how hard is this to do? I am two nights short of plat for this year and will be in SF next week..
Yes.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
If you're reading the thread on a mobile device and don't see the Wiki, then change to the non-mobile version of Flyertalk to read the Wiki --- which has a lot of "how to" information in it.

Be sure to focus on the fact that some Marriott brands don't participate in the Rewarding Events program (Residence Inn is one). If your reference to "a Marriott" is to a full service Marriott hotel, then you should be fine.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:37 am

I rolled over 30 nights into this year, so I would need 105 for rollover. In addition, my wife is the lifetime target for our family - my points feed her total through transfers. I just happened to have a fluke year with night credits and carry over. Completely a "my situation only" answer.
Ahh! Gotcha. Had me worried for a minute there for my own MR strategy.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I am certain this has been answered elsewhere in the 1500 replies, but I just stumbled upon this thread and am intrigued. I actually do have a meeting I need to schedule and figure I may as well do it this way. It's a 2 day meeting - can I book each day separately at the same hotel and end up with 20 nights instead of 10?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by sorro
...can I book each day separately at the same hotel and end up with 20 nights instead of 10?
I have had two one-hour meetings on the same day at the same hotel and received 10 nights for each meeting.

I've developed a relationship with the hotel with respect to the need for meetings, which might have helped.

I would think if they were booked as separate events, you would get 20 nights.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
The exact same thing happened to me in the past 2 weeks. I contacted the Omaha group that e-mailed me the confirmation, and they told me to contact the hotel. I need the one meeting to hit platinum, and I'm not sure if I should try to book one more, or just wait to see if it eventually goes through. Of course I don't want to pay for an extra meeting since the extra nights won't benefit me next year.
That was the same group that I scheduled one for, I was not charged either and nothing showed up over a month later. No contract either and the only correspondence was an email saying a rep would contact me soon. Which never happened
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by dgreen12
I have had two one-hour meetings on the same day at the same hotel and received 10 nights for each meeting.

I've developed a relationship with the hotel with respect to the need for meetings, which might have helped.

I would think if they were booked as separate events, you would get 20 nights.
Does this mean you book through the hotel or do you still go through the online booking operation?

One to two hour meetings in one day is something I can use for my business, as well.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:09 am

Hi all,

I am a current Gold member with 19 nights this year. I have a targeted promotion which requires 14 nights to requalify for Gold again. I have only stayed 7 nights out of the required 14 of that promotion. Do you guys know if the 10 nights per meeting will also apply to the promotion balance or just to my total nights for the year?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by billotos
Hi all,

I am a current Gold member with 19 nights this year. I have a targeted promotion which requires 14 nights to requalify for Gold again. I have only stayed 7 nights out of the required 14 of that promotion. Do you guys know if the 10 nights per meeting will also apply to the promotion balance or just to my total nights for the year?

Thanks in advance!
Does not.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Does not.
But you can do 4 meetings for less than the price of 7 more nights.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Ceres
That was the same group that I scheduled one for, I was not charged either and nothing showed up over a month later. No contract either and the only correspondence was an email saying a rep would contact me soon. Which never happened
That just happened to me. No charge on card and no one contacted me. I need a few more nights for plat so I'll have to try again somewhere else.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Does this mean you book through the hotel or do you still go through the online booking operation?

One to two hour meetings in one day is something I can use for my business, as well.
I go through my Marriott corporate contact and copy the person at the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.