Erin Andrews sues Marriott & Radisson

Old Mar 8, 16, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Saw this on TMZ (excerpt):

"Of the $55 million, she will never see a penny from pervert Michael Barrett, who is on the hook for $28 million. Marriott is responsible for the remaining $27 million.

Marriott will almost certainly appeal the verdict, which then opens the door to settlement. There are compelling reasons why Erin might want to settle. It's a huge judgment when you consider there's no physical injury ... just emotional distress. An appeals court could overturn the verdict on grounds it's simply excessive. It's a crapshoot to go forward with an appeal ... for both sides.

The legal experts we've spoken with all say the likelihood is the case will settle ... for somewhere around $20 million on Marriott's part.

Now the lawyers' fees. In lawsuits where a case actually goes to trial, lawyers typically get around 40% of the recoverable judgment. So, if Erin settles with Marriott for $20 million, the lawyers would get $8 million, leaving her with $12 million. And Erin's responsible for costs in preparing the case, which we're told could approach $1 million, leaving her with $11 million.

Now the bad news. In cases where someone wins an award for emotional distress without any physical injuries, the award is taxable. So the $11 million becomes more like $6 million."
Old Mar 8, 16, 7:16 am

Guess Marriott realized it was getting bundled in w/ Nashville Marriott in news, etc. There's a statement on its website:

http://news.marriott.com/2016/03/the...ews-trial.html

Cheers.
Old Mar 8, 16, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Does Marriott have any plans of de-flagging this property? I know legally they were not responsible, but as their statement says, they were a "licensee" of Marriott so I'm sure some would argue that Marriott is not completely free of responsibility here.
Old Mar 8, 16, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Guess Marriott realized it was getting bundled in w/ Nashville Marriott in news, etc. There's a statement on its website:

http://news.marriott.com/2016/03/the...ews-trial.html

Cheers.
Weak statement, very disappointed in Marriott Intl...the statement places all blame on Barrett.

Marriott International is sympathetic to the ordeal that Erin Andrews went through because of Michael David Barrett’s criminal conduct.
@ Marriott Int'l, you conveniently omitted your franchised hotel's failure.
Old Mar 8, 16, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by FTA View Post
Because she put on a great show in court. They should appeal based on this alone "Several jurors hugged Erin Andrews and at least one appeared to get an autograph"

Show??

So...after hearing all the evidence, and coming to the decision that Andrews had gone through something bad enough to be awarded a settlement, what's wrong with showing support for the wronged party??

What specific legal error has occurred that would warrant an appeal??

I think most of us understand that this case had little/nothing to do with Marriott. But because of all the publicity surrounding this franchisee, you'd think they'd do whatever they could to finally put this story in their rear view mirror. It's been bad press for Marriott for a long time. Time to move on.
Old Mar 8, 16, 11:49 am
FTA

Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
Weak statement, very disappointed in Marriott Intl...the statement places all blame on Barrett.
Marriott Int'l, you conveniently omitted your franchised hotel's failure.
Originally Posted by fireworksboy View Post
So...after hearing all the evidence, and coming to the decision that Andrews had gone through something bad enough to be awarded a settlement, what's wrong with showing support for the wronged party??

What specific legal error has occurred that would warrant an appeal??
The show is her pretending this has hurt her career and all the other crap she said.

How was West End or Marriott at fault or negligent? Everything I read said he used a employees only phone and pretended to be an employee. West End/Marriott didn't intentionally or negligently give out her info to a known guest. Michael Barrett should be the only 1 at fault

Mistrial by on jury prejudice to the defendant

This is like suing the flight school that taught the 9/11 hijackers

Also, she claims ESPN forced her to talk about it on Oprah. Why isn't she suing ESPN for emotion distress? Not only did she not sue ESPN but she kept working for them.

Last edited by FTA; Mar 8, 16 at 12:21 pm
Old Mar 8, 16, 12:49 pm

The show is her pretending this has hurt her career and all the other crap she said.
She is not claiming that her career has suffered. Also, can you expand on "all the other crap she said"?

How was West End or Marriott at fault or negligent? Everything I read said he used a employees only phone and pretended to be an employee. West End/Marriott didn't intentionally or negligently give out her info to a known guest. Michael Barrett should be the only 1 at fault.
Barrett tricked an employee to confirm Erin's ressie and room number, and was granted the room adjacent to Erin.

Also, she claims ESPN forced her to talk about it on Oprah. Why isn't she suing ESPN for emotion distress? Not only did she not sue ESPN but she kept working for them.
Perhaps, ESPN has policies in place when there is a public incident. We do not know the terms of her employment contract w ESPN.
Old Mar 8, 16, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by fireworksboy View Post
I'll go out on a limb here and guess that those "average payouts" didn't involve a professional tv sportscaster, from a huge national cable channel, early in her career and on a path to the top of her chosen field.

Not exactly an "average" scenario.
I can't see an instance where someone is killed in a wrongful death situation and its worth less than what happened here.

IMHO, either wrongful deaths should go to something in excess $55M or her award should be reduced to something significantly less than $3M. Most likely the latter
Old Mar 8, 16, 6:23 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
can you expand on "all the other crap she said"
Stuff like now she sweeps her room for bugs, doesn't let hotel employees into her room. Making herself seem perpetually paranoid even when these things have nothing to do with what actually happened.

Everything I've read said the room number was automatically displayed on the employee only phone. It was not given out by a hotel employee.

There is no way an employer can legally force an employee to talk about something like this publicly, especially on a talk show.
Old Mar 8, 16, 6:49 pm

Stuff like now she sweeps her room for bugs, doesn't let hotel employees into her room. Making herself seem perpetually paranoid even when these things have nothing to do with what actually happened.
Andrews is reminded of the situation EVERY SINGLE DAY. Those who were not violated are taking similar precautions.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2016/0...n-media-safety

Everything I've read said the room number was automatically displayed on the employee only phone. It was not given out by a hotel employee.
Barrett stated in his video disposition that he called the hotel, and that the hotel confirmed Andrews' reservation, and that he requested the room adjacent to Andrews (which was granted).

There is no way an employer can legally force an employee to talk about something like this publicly, especially on a talk show.
Andrews' testified under oath that ESPN required her to do a sit-down talk. ESPN has not disputed her testimony.
Old Mar 8, 16, 7:05 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by Michael Barrett
I went down to the restaurant. There’s a house phone in the restaurant, so I picked up the house phone and called the operator, asked, “Can I have Erin Andrews’ room?” They connected me. On the house phone it shows a room number, so I knew what room she was in.
So what if she said that? I said there is no way ESPN can legally force her to do an interview and why did she stay with them for so long if they forced her?

All she wants is money

Last edited by FTA; Mar 8, 16 at 7:14 pm
Old Mar 8, 16, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
This is really no longer Marriott-related. Please put non-Marriott discussion in OMNI, where it belongs.

Bruce
Old Mar 9, 16, 2:58 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I agree this no longer belongs in the Marriott forum. This is OMNI material.
Old Apr 27, 16, 10:22 am

Erin Andrews settles stalker case w/ Nashville Marriott.

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_New...9861461674390/

NASHVILLE, April 26 (UPI) -- Erin Andrews has settled her lawsuit with the Nashville Marriott, bringing her case against the hotel and stalker Michael David Barrett to a close.

Barrett was found 51 percent at fault, owing $28 million to Andrews while West End Hotel Partners, who operate the Nashville Marriott, were found 49 percent at fault, owing $26 million. Andrews, however, pushed and filed papers claiming that the hotel owner and operator should pay the total in full, according to The Tennessean.

"The litigation is over. The terms of the settlement are confidential. Erin Andrews is satisfied with the settlement."

Search this Thread
Search Engine: