Nicest Category 5 hotel

Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Nicest Category 5 hotel

Hubby and I have a free certificate for a category 1-5 from the Visa card. Looking to use that and add a few additional nights for a long weekend in October for our anniversay. In your opinion which is the nicest resort. We would like to avoid Mexico right now. Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 9:58 am

What about the Kaua'i Marriott Resort? They are finishing up a refurbishment, to be completely finished in the next month.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
OK, probably not practical for your purposes. But, its got to be the JW Marriott Resort in Phuket, Thailand.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 4:22 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Where are you looking to use the free night? Anywhere in the US? NA? Anywhere in the world? When you say "nicest", what do you really mean? Beach? Big City? Luxury? Night Life? The answers will be very different based on what you really would like.

One of my favorite Marriott's in the World, the JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square, is only a Cat. 5. The Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour is a very nice hotel in a great place to visit, especially this time of the year. The Grand Hotel just outside of Mobile, AL is an awesome hotel as is the Bay Point Marriott in Panama City Beach, FL. While I don't think either has been adversely affected by the oil spill yet, you might want to check out the local news to verify the areas. All of these are Cat. 5 hotels and well worth visiting.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
this is a question I was going to ask down the road

I have the same cert but I also have a 7-night reward for Cat 5

for me, I'd like to use this for one of the following regions
1. USA (all 50)/Mexico/Carribean
2. AUS
3. Europe

the cat five visa thing I'll probably just use for a football game but the 7 nighter I need to coordinate with some reasonable flights to AA OW destinations.

AU is probably my first choice since I plan on going in 2011 but haven't really been into the research hotel mode yet until I get the award tix booked. however since the question has been asked.. i'd love to hear the comments
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:31 am

The JW at Lake Rosseau 2hrs north of Toronto, Ontario is quite special with facilities of a higher category. Could be considered seasonal though as it in a very upscale cottage area.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I just dont think you can beat JW Phuket. The best pools I have ever enjoyed. The service incredible. The grounds are immaculate.

The give plats and golds breakfast

Last edited by Mr. Vker; Oct 7, 2013 at 7:50 am
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Starwood, Hyatt Diamond, PC Amb Plat, AA, Delta Gold
I plan to use mine in Aruba.

Enjoy
Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by nub2travel
I plan to use mine in Aruba.

Enjoy
At the Renaissance? Thats a great usage too! We used mine in Feb there. It was nice they just downgraded that hotel to a cat 5 for the use of the Cert!! It was a cat 6 until last year.

We just got back from our second trip there last Saturday. Renaissance Island is wonderful. Great snorkeling outside of the rocks.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
The new Bohemia Collection Hotel in Asheville, NC is cat 5. Lovely place to be in October to see leaves, Biltmore house, Blue Ridge, etc. Hotel has a great lounge.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:49 am

I'd have to say the same, the Bohemia Collection. There's enough in the area as well to keep you interested.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Maybe not the "nicest" BUT this Silver got

both an upgraded room and lounge access when redeeming my Cat5 cert at the FS Marriott in downtown Anchorage. ^

Given the nice treatment & larger room and especially to a lowly Silver & the cost of an ANC hotel during the summer mos..some folks might want to keep this place in mind.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 9:39 am
Suspended

Moscow.

Used to be Berlin, but only those who knew it was a steal and pre-reserved it get to use it this year as a 5 as it went up to a Category 6!

That's using both the 7 night cert and the Marriott Visa Cert, that is!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I want to do a Hotel + Air Package, category 1-5. Since my Gold status via United runs out in Feb., I'm looking for options for the most desirable (obviously, in your opinion!) 1-5 hotel in the lower 48 that serves complimentary, hot breakfast. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I just dont think you can beat this place. The best pools I have ever enjoyed. The service incredible. The grounds are immaculate.

The give plats and golds breakfast

http://www.jwmarriottphuket.com/
That url has nothing to do with the hotel. It's about investment advice of some sort.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.