FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   JW Maldives [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1096858-jw-maldives-master-thread.html)

GodErnst Jun 18, 2010 2:18 am

JW Maldives [Master Thread]

I for one am quite thrilled to see the JW Marriott Gaakoshibee Resort listed under the "new hotels" section.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...esort-and-spa/

Any bets on the Category of this one? I'm guessing 7/8 minimum.

Regardless, an exciting new resort for Marriott in one of the world's most expensive destinations... I suspect a lot of people will try to use their points here!

travelexpert Jun 18, 2010 4:29 pm

This is HUGE!

Magnificent location--one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I have been to the Maldives, staying at the Conrad.

Would go again in a heartbeat if it were closer to the US...

dubyuhnel Aug 24, 2010 8:35 pm

Any idea on how to get more information about this property? I called the guest services line and they just said check the website, which has nothing substantial at this point. I'm trying to get ideas for my honeymoon next summer and this would be perfect!

hungarianhc Aug 24, 2010 9:33 pm

I'm very interested to hear more about this place too!

catharsis Aug 25, 2010 1:46 am

Renaissance?

Wasn't there supposed to be a Renaissance in the same location and opening a year or two ago?

maybe a re-branding?

This is of course still good news, but you might get more info by investigating the renaissance plans.

mapu Aug 25, 2010 2:16 am

Great news! Looks like a great place to spend all those points!

kcblakely Aug 25, 2010 2:47 am

Originally Posted by travelexpert (Post 14157678)
This is HUGE!

Magnificent location--one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I have been to the Maldives, staying at the Conrad.

Would go again in a heartbeat if it were closer to the US...

I wouldn't. I was just in the Maldives a few months ago. Stayed at Kurumba - one of the nicer resorts. It was fine and I had a good time, but the fact of the matter is there really isn't anything to do there. Once you're done snorkeling or SCUBA diving or surfing or whatever for the day, then what? Answer: literally nothing.

Maldives: nice place, but if I had the kinda money it takes to get there, I wouldn't go again. Just me....

Aggie Aug 25, 2010 3:24 am

Best Marriott news I have seen in a long time.

Keep the updates posted when they come in.

Found some info -- Looks like it was going to be a Renaissance.

http://maldivesresortworkers.wordpre...shibee-resort/

aaupgrade Aug 25, 2010 6:40 am

Originally Posted by kcblakely (Post 14542383)
...there really isn't anything to do there. Once you're done... SCUBA diving... then what? Answer: literally nothing.

Exactly the reason to go there IMO! ^ A great place to visit on a RTW trip as I did back in March. 11 days of diving and nothing else. I will happily do it again.

PWMFlyer19 Aug 25, 2010 12:07 pm

If you download the hotel fact sheet, it says opening in March 2011 and the category is blank. I would assume cat 8.

Stumblefoot Aug 25, 2010 3:36 pm

According to the Project Management Company for the resort, it will have 41 water villas and 59 beach villas.

Here are some links I found that you might enjoy:
  1. Announcement in Sept. '09. To open in Q4, 2010.

2. Another Sept.'09 announcement

3. 2 nice pictures from the architect
    Wait for the page to load and select "portfolio", then "hotels and resorts", followed by "renaissance"

4. 4 conceptual drawings from the interior design firm
    Wait for the page to load and select "english" (or whatever language you prefer), then "gallery", followed by "renaissance"

5. 4 conceptual drawings and 1 picture from the landscape architect

6. Website of the resort owner... pretty pitiful

I couldn't find any pics or drawings from the project's engineering firm, foodservice design firm, or lighting designer.

Hope you enjoy the links!

bsdstone Aug 25, 2010 6:11 pm

I wouldn't. I was just in the Maldives a few months ago. Stayed at Kurumba - one of the nicer resorts. It was fine and I had a good time, but the fact of the matter is there really isn't anything to do there. Once you're done snorkeling or SCUBA diving or surfing or whatever for the day, then what? Answer: literally nothing.

Isn't that kind of the point!;)

bsdstone Aug 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot (Post 14546675)
According to the Project Management Company for the resort, it will have 41 water villas and 59 beach villas.

Here are some links I found that you might enjoy:
  1. Announcement in Sept. '09. To open in Q4, 2010.

2. Another Sept.'09 announcement

WOW! Looks great...really wanting to get to the Maldives some time, but with a 5 1/2 year old and a 4 year old, I don't see it in my near future...:(
  3. 2 nice pictures from the architect
    Wait for the page to load and select "portfolio", then "hotels and resorts", followed by "renaissance"

4. 4 conceptual drawings from the interior design firm
    Wait for the page to load and select "english" (or whatever language you prefer), then "gallery", followed by "renaissance"

5. 4 conceptual drawings and 1 picture from the landscape architect

6. Website of the resort owner... pretty pitiful

I couldn't find any pics or drawings from the project's engineering firm, foodservice design firm, or lighting designer.

Hope you enjoy the links!

allset2travel Aug 25, 2010 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade (Post 14543005)
........A great place to visit on a RTW trip as I did back in March. 11 days of diving and nothing else. .....

+1 ^

mapu Aug 26, 2010 1:19 am

Once you're done snorkeling or SCUBA diving or surfing or whatever for the day, then what? Answer: literally nothing.

You are single, right? ;)