Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Discover America® Daily Getaways: 20% off Marriott TravelCards, 5/19/10, 10am ET

Discover America® Daily Getaways: 20% off Marriott TravelCards, 5/19/10, 10am ET

Old Dec 21, 10, 6:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (former PP), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
You can do it at check in if the front desk is not busy. They will give you a receipt showing that your balance has been credited with the travel cards. It takes a fair amount of work to enter each one (usually takes about a minute per card if they know what they are doing), so I recommend doing it before checkout if possible.
Old Dec 22, 10, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Thanks for the info.

The maximum denomination of the TravelCard I can order (redeem) with Citibank's ThankYou Network is $100 only.

The anticipated stay is a 2 nighter at Waikoloa currently has a $189 AAA rate for our dates.

I suppose booking it in 2 separate reservations should limit the usage of the cards to 2 per bill - 2 x $100 card then pay whatever balance by CC, repeat that with the 2nd night.

Should I inform the FD at check-in that the stay would be paid by TravelCard? Or at check out when they usually ask the question "Would you like to pay with the card in file?", then tell the FD to switch the payment to the TC?

I need to drain my TYP balance and Marriott's TravelCard seems to be the most obvious option to do so. There will be many more occurrences in the future to use the TravelCard so I hope the experience would be smooth...
I've handed over 3 or 4 cards at once before. My hunch is that the hotel will combine your reservations into one folio and simply swipe all of the cards that you want to use.

When I'm down to small amounts on a card, I write the remaining balance on the back with a sharpie and hand the cards to the clerk one at a time in the right order (usually my final card is not being totally exhausted).

Does TYP convert to Marriott at 1%? I have a couple hundred bucks' worth of residual TYP but figured that the near-1% you get on flights via Expedia was the best simple redemption.
Old Dec 22, 10, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
I've handed over 3 or 4 cards at once before. My hunch is that the hotel will combine your reservations into one folio and simply swipe all of the cards that you want to use.

When I'm down to small amounts on a card, I write the remaining balance on the back with a sharpie and hand the cards to the clerk one at a time in the right order (usually my final card is not being totally exhausted).
Thanks for the tips. If 4 or more cards not an issue, will modify the reservation then. Actually we may need 3 days and that would make it 6 to 7 cards...

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Does TYP convert to Marriott at 1%? I have a couple hundred bucks' worth of residual TYP but figured that the near-1% you get on flights via Expedia was the best simple redemption.
I dont need flights because we are still flushed with $$$$ airline credits from previous redeemed TYP airline tickets. But if you need flights the TYP in the past format is the simplest way of redemption.

Unfortunately soon the flight booking will not be handled by Expedia. Come January 1st there is major overhaul to the Citi ThankYou Point earning card offering. Also the flight booking will not be handled by Expedia platform but will be by phone only to a 3rd party company which seems to have a checkered past. You may want to saunter to the Other Credit Card forum to find the details.

At 10K level it is exactly 1 penny worth of 1 TYP - 10K for $100 Marriott TravelCard or Hyatt Travel Cert or $100 Ritz Carlton.
Old Dec 22, 10, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AAA rate is NOT eligible for TravelCard redemption per the Official Words

I hope those who have successfully used the TravelCard (NOT Gift Card - it is two DIFFERENT products governed by very different T&Cs) for AAA rate or Senior rate could post their experiences. If more people posted they dont encounter problems I would feel more comfortable with this genre of card.

I understand in practice the front desk probably does not care, but below is the OFFICIAL replies I got from Marriott Incentive Program which administrates the TravelCard. If the rules are enforced, it would make the discount of TravelCard you guys got completely go away.

Please read the email exchange excerpts:

To: ME
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 5:19:30 PM
Subject: RE: Marriott TravelCard

Happy,

Thank you for contacting Marriott. You are welcome to use as many Marriott Travel Cards as needed to satisfy one hotel bill. However, please note that the Marriott Travel Card cannot be used with a non-publicly listed rate, including the AAA rate. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know.

Happy Holidays!

Natalie Cherrington
Global Incentives & GiftCards

My request for further clarification:

Hi Natalie,

The AAA rate is PUBLICLY LISTED on Marriott own website as one of the rate choices which include AAA, Senior rates among other things. There is NO promotion code require when using the AAA rate to book - all it requires is a membership proof. How can this be not publicly listed rate?

This is very confusing and seems to dissuade people to use the Mariott Incentive Program.

Your further investigation and clarification is appreciated. Happy Holidays!

Regards,

Her further clarification :

When we state a “publicly listed rate” we mean a rate that is available to all the public, not something that has to meet certain requirements, such as showing proof of membership in AAA. Please accept my apologies for the confusion.

Best regards,

Natalie Cherrington
Global Incentives & GiftCards

Last edited by Happy; Dec 22, 10 at 5:48 pm
Old Dec 22, 10, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VA1379 View Post
You can do it at check in if the front desk is not busy. They will give you a receipt showing that your balance has been credited with the travel cards. It takes a fair amount of work to enter each one (usually takes about a minute per card if they know what they are doing), so I recommend doing it before checkout if possible.
Thanks for the pointer.

Our stay may turn into a 3 nighters. In this case I would go to front desk during the interim of the stay to pay down the balance... Do they give you an interim receipt or print out to show the balance being reduced by applying the TravelCard?

On a cruise one can always get an interim printout of the shipboard account balance which is up-todate to the minute, showing all your charges incurred and all the used shipboard credits with an interim balance whether it is positive or negative. I am not sure hotel has such capacity.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: