Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Alternate: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Trying to decide between this place and Hyatt Regency Darling Harbor.

This place is a total of $15 USD more over 4 nights using corporate rate and Citi Prestige so I consider them to be basically equal.

I previously stayed at the PH Sydney on an award booking which was my only other visit to Sydney.

Not sure what status I will be. I'm currently Platinum but will likely fall to Gold for next year versus Hyatt where I'll be whatever the tier is for only having the CC (believe it's equivalent to Marriott Silver).

Anyone with a strong push for going with one vs the other? On the face of it, it seems like the extra $15 USD total is worth it for Marriott vs. Hyatt on club access alone right?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by Duke787

This place is a total of $15 USD more over 4 nights using corporate rate and Citi Prestige so I consider them to be basically equal.

I previously stayed at the PH Sydney on an award booking which was my only other visit to Sydney.

Not sure what status I will be. I'm currently Platinum but will likely fall to Gold for next year versus Hyatt where I'll be whatever the tier is for only having the CC (believe it's equivalent to Marriott Silver).

Anyone with a strong push for going with one vs the other? On the face of it, it seems like the extra $15 USD total is worth it for Marriott vs. Hyatt on club access alone right?
I've never stayed at the HR Darling Harbour, but I was at Marriott Circular Quay last December. At that time, the lobby was undergoing a major redesign/construction. That project, I believe, was supposed to complete in March 2017. The lounge was on either 2 or 3 last (southern hemisphere) summer, and was usually very crowded whenever food was out...But the food was good.

-mvitale
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
On the face of it, it seems like the extra $15 USD total is worth it for Marriott vs. Hyatt on club access alone right?
Yes.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:06 am

The renovation is complete. However the lounge is still tucked away on level 2 and is crowded and the food average. The self-serve alcohol range was also limited to beer and wine, though spirits were available on request. I'd recommend the Hyatt Regency over the Marriott - the club was much more spacious and the prices generally slightly cheaper as well.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I just returned from a 5 night award stay here and was unimpressed. It is a very large hotel more oriented to business. Spent the 5 previous nights at the Hilton in Cairns. Am Diamond with Hilton and Platinum with Marriott and service was very impersonal at the Marriott. When I made my reservation the agent put in it was our 30th anniversary and no recognition. At the Hilton in Cairns, there was champagne and chocolate in our room and decorations on the bed.

Was upgraded to a room with a view of the bridge on the 28th floor. The lounge is on the second floor. Large room with a cooler on one side with bottled beverages, fruit, and yogurt available all day. For breakfast had 4 hot dishes. Always scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, potatoes or beans, waffles or pancakes. Fruit, cold cuts, cheese, and salads were also available. Tea was served from 2-4, which offered 2 types of small pastries. If wanted you could upgrade to the full buffet in the restaurant for $20.

Night snacks were a few hot dishes, an interesting salad, and some additional salad fixings, hummus, cheese etc. There was 1 white wine, 1 sparkling wine, and a Shiraz Cabernet. Liquors could be ordered from the servers.

Late night dessert was uninspiring- fruit plate and 1 small cake or pudding type dessert. There were 2 coffee machines.

Location was excellent with many restaurants nearby.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:10 am

For the life of me I can't figure out if the executive lounge is an executive lounge or cruise ship buffet. Joke city! People holding the door to let others in, happy hour is dinner hour "all you can eat appetizers". I'd say this "lounge" is carnival cruise, at best!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:43 am

I just got back from 4 nights at Marriott followed by 4 nights at the Hyatt Regency. The Hyatt was, by far, superior. The Marriott's only redeeming quality was the location to Circular Quay. We're RC gold, too, and paid with rewards. I'd have rather have saved my points and just paid cash to stay at the Hyatt for the entire trip.

The "arrivals lounge" is just a big empty hotel room with a regular hotel room bathroom in the corner that everyone is taking turns using. Piled with everyone's used towels, a line at the door while you're showering, and no obvious staff anywhere.

The "executive lounge" was packed and the coffee makers were always malfunctioning. One morning, both coffee makers were out of service, no staff was to be found, and guests finally started dismantling the coffee makers themselves trying to figure out how to get it flowing again since no employees could be located.

Neither lounge made it worth staying there.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Forget the lounge, the Circular Quay Marriott is one of the best located Marriott's in the world. Eat tapas late night next door at Tapavino and thank me later. Try Neptune's Palace for incredible food, a little pricey. Listen, this is the Times Square of Australia, it's busy every morning. I mean BUSY.

The location is second to one. Boats, subway, ferries, hop on hop off, taxis's, uber, all within a few steps. You can go to Manly with beach gear, swim all day, and come back to the Marriott, all within holding breath of steps. I just finished 10 nights there. Lounge food is good, salad, soup, hot and cold food, free booze, good wine and good deserts. Just go to Tapavino, that's all you got to do.

FYI, they do a room check when you enter the lounge and are strict with two per room.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
FYI, they do a room check when you enter the lounge and are strict with two per room.
This is the complete opposite of my experience... YMMV I guess.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
This is the complete opposite of my experience... YMMV I guess.
Happened every morning and evening we used the lounge. Person at desk asked for room number and said "2", I responded yes. To be fair, I don't know what he or she did with the info but I was always asked.

I guess I should of said 'consistently asked'? better?

Last edited by ZZYZXROAD; Jan 26, 2018 at 8:11 am
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Happened every morning and evening we used the lounge. Person at desk asked for room number and said "2", I responded yes. To be fair, I don't know what he or she did with the info but I was always asked.

I guess I should of said 'consistently asked'? better?

I tried to walk out carrying a can of coke and they stopped me and confiscated it and implied I could be trying to provide beverage to people I was hiding in my room.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by manda99

I tried to walk out carrying a can of coke and they stopped me and confiscated it and implied I could be trying to provide beverage to people I was hiding in my room.
So nothing has changed from my previous visits. As I previously posted in this thread, lounge letter received at check-in states: "Food and beverages served in the lounge must be consumed in the lounge". I'll be back there for a week stay in April. It's been a few years and I've never visited in the fall, so looking forward to it.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
As I previously posted in this thread, lounge letter received at check-in states: "Food and beverages served in the lounge must be consumed in the lounge".
Many hotels have this sentence in the welcome letter yet don't object if someone tries to take a drink to his room (especially coffee).
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
So nothing has changed from my previous visits. As I previously posted in this thread, lounge letter received at check-in states: "Food and beverages served in the lounge must be consumed in the lounge".,,
In a five night stay, never had a problem taking food/drink back to my room. This was a couple of years ago, when the lounge was up top.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, MR Gold, HH Gold, GE
Room Advice?

I’m looking for advice regarding the best room to book at this property:
Option 1: Bridge view, guest room, 1 king or 2 double, Partial bridge view
Option 2: Junior suite, 1 king, city view
Option 3: Opera House view, guest room, 1 king, partial Harbor view

There is no significant difference between the rates for each room. The Deluxe City view, guest room,1 king, is also available in the same price range, but the three options above look like better values for the price. I’ve stayed at other hotels where a partial view is still really good.....and at hotels where the partial view is really no view unless you are a contortionist. As I’ve never stayed at this hotel before (although this is not my first trip to Sydney), I would appreciate feedback on the likely quality of the view in the partial view options as well as feedback from anyone who has stayed in a junior suite.

Which room option would you recommend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.