Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Residence Inn vs SpringHill Suites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Residence Inn vs SpringHill Suites

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
vkng - please let us know what you think after you look the properties.

Also, many of us live in ATL, so if you have any additional questions before, during or after the move, please do not hesitate to ask. Good Luck!
Old May 7, 2010, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I can't imagine spending any kind of extended period of time in an SHS. It's a limited-service hotel with slightly larger rooms. It would not be a terribly pleasant existence for 5 months. The irony is that some SHS actually don't have any true suites in the building at all.

Does Marriott have some Execustay offerings in Atlanta? I'd at least investigate that and see if there's something relatively cost-neutral to those Residence Inns. With my former employers, 3 months was sort of a rule of thumb: if we were on a project longer than that, we could use Execustay as long as overall costs were in a similar ballpark to our Marriott corporate rates for hotels. We had a good systemwide partnership with Marriott, and Execustay was always competitive pricewise for a 3-6 month stay.

You trade off some points but that becomes completely irrelevant when you consider the difference in your quality of life.

If Execustay isn't an option, then only Residence Inn is anywhere near suitable for a 5-month stay. Even the TPS - the other brand Marriott positions as a long-term option - feels more cramped than RI. (At least, the ones I've stayed in.)
Old May 7, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I can't imagine spending 150 straight nights at a hotel and only having 60,000 points to show for it.

That's like, 2 nights at a Category 6.

If points are important to you, go with SHS. If not, then 1,000,000% of the time you should go to the RI.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by judolphin
I can't imagine spending 150 straight nights at a hotel and only having 60,000 points to show for it.
I'd almost start looking at non-Marriott properties if something like Execustay isn't an option and points are indeed an important factor.

I'm guessing the company listed these options because they know what kind of negotiated rate they can get for 5 months. I think I'd find out what that price point is and give some other extended-stay brands a call as well.

HH, for example, doesn't apply any penalty to Homewood guests. Using the HH Amex and holding Diamond status for most of that time, assuming $100/nt., you'd be sitting on somewhere in the general vicinity of 425,000 points if not a bit more. That's good for almost 2 weeklong vacations in good Hiltons (give or take a little).

The math probably isn't quite as compelling for the other brands, but something like Hyatt Place might be worth a call too. Homewood is compelling because of the HH Amex and its "instant Gold" and high property-spend bonus.
Old May 7, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'd almost start looking at non-Marriott properties if something like Execustay isn't an option and points are indeed an important factor.

I'm guessing the company listed these options because they know what kind of negotiated rate they can get for 5 months. I think I'd find out what that price point is and give some other extended-stay brands a call as well.

HH, for example, doesn't apply any penalty to Homewood guests. Using the HH Amex and holding Diamond status for most of that time, assuming $100/nt., you'd be sitting on somewhere in the general vicinity of 425,000 points if not a bit more. That's good for almost 2 weeklong vacations in good Hiltons (give or take a little).

The math probably isn't quite as compelling for the other brands, but something like Hyatt Place might be worth a call too. Homewood is compelling because of the HH Amex and its "instant Gold" and high property-spend bonus.
MARRIOTT CONCIERGE: Please pass pinniped's post along to the silly people at Marriott International that are willing to risk $12,000-$15,000 a pop in revenue (in cases like the OP's) in order to withhold a few MR points from people who stay at RI and TPS.
Old May 7, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
I can't imagine spending any kind of extended period of time in an SHS. It's a limited-service hotel with slightly larger rooms. It would not be a terribly pleasant existence for 5 months. The irony is that some SHS actually don't have any true suites in the building at all.
+1. I like SHS. But basically what you're getting is a slightly larger than average hotel room with a partial dividing wall to create the "suite" effect. The work desk area and "partial kitchen" (mini-fridge, microwave, wet bar) are nice, but I think things would still get a little claustrophobic after a week or two.

So, while the reduced points payoff is annoying, I think I'd still opt for being able to spread out some at RI.

My suggestion would be to "audition" the hotels with a visit, as you had indicated. Then choose one, but have a Plan B ready in case you need it.
Old May 7, 2010, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]

If you're not locked into Marriott, the Hyatt Place has a great living area with the big sectional and 42" TV, and their location is right on Peachtree Road in Buckhead. Free parking there too.

Also, there's a StayBridge Suites a bit south - Priority Club points - and that brand has the best breakfast of any of the extended stays.

If you're locked into Marriott...never mind.
Old May 9, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet: By all means apply for the Marriott Premeir Visa (NOT the Signature Visa) card from Chase. Charging your room expenses will get you an additional 5 pts./dollar - and unlike the base MR points, you will get Visa points on taxes and incidentals. There are lucrative sign-up bonuses as well.

Also, as you reach MR status points (25, 50 and 75 nights), be sure and have them note your MR status change as you get additional benefits (notably bonus points) at each tier. You may have to check out and immediately check back in to process the status upgrade.

My vote would be for the SpringHill (mainly for the points) especially if you like an urban vibe in Buckhead. Be careful of RI's that offer "Studio Suites". In addition to the lower point offerings, these are really not larger than a SHS room.
Old May 9, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: *A Gold
I do not know the RI's that are in play here but I have previously stayed at an RI where they did not offer any rooms with anything other than a single queen bed (that was a few hundred miles south of Atlanta ), regardless of the number of room occupants. These beds were really on the small side when two persons slept in them.
Have it in mind.

S.
Old May 10, 2010, 7:59 am

That's another thing I forgot to mention about Homewood: they tend to have King bed options. At least the ones I've stayed in have had them.

I'm guessing Hyatt Place being a fairly recent build out has Kings but I'm not sure.
Old May 10, 2010, 2:02 pm

one consideration: points points points, okay - that's 3 considerations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.