Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Market Items excluded for Platinum Gift Selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.

Just wondered whether other Platinums have been told that only certain Market items may be selected for their Platinum gift at Courtyards, RIs,etc.?

I selected a half bottle of wine at a Courtyard this week and they told me that all alcohol was ineligible as the Platinum gift - I was speechless, never ran into that one before.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:08 am

It varies from property to property. Only one time have I been told that certain items are excluded. But it is usually okay to take any item in the Marketplace. However, I usually do not see wine as something that is available in the Marketplace.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:24 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by GrizShel
I selected a half bottle of wine at a Courtyard this week and they told me that all alcohol was ineligible as the Platinum gift - I was speechless, never ran into that one before.
This may well be due to local ABC laws rather than the particular Courtyard's policy.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:34 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
This may well be due to local ABC laws rather than the particular Courtyard's policy.
While I guess that may be true, I've not seen any FS Marriott not offer beer or wine as part of the Plat amenity. I would think the issue would be even having the beer/wine for sale at all rather than being able to offer it to a guest.

But to the OP's question, I don't remember being told of any restrictions around what I could choose. I will say that up until the last year, when traveling with my kids, I always was offered to allow each child a choice. This past year or so, I don't think any place has offered that any more. (Though a FFI has given me two of their amenity "bags".)
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
While I guess that may be true, I've not seen any FS Marriott not offer beer or wine as part of the Plat amenity. I would think the issue would be even having the beer/wine for sale at all rather than being able to offer it to a guest.
But a FS Marriott brings it to your room which may be considered alcohol served via "On" sale channel as opposed to Marketplace which may be considered as an "Off" sale channel from ABC perspective in that particular state. I don't even want to go into the 50 different permutations of ABC laws in the US. Some states don't allow free alcohol, or purchase of alcohol with free instruments (coupons, gift certs, etc), some allow free drinks for "On" site consumption but not for "Off" site sales/consumption. I could probably keep writing a myriad of variations, but I think you get the picture. Then again this may have nothing to do with ABC laws.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:47 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I could probably keep writing a myriad of variations, but I think you get the picture. Then again this may have nothing to do with ABC laws.
Considering how infrequently I drink alcoholic beverages, I will bow to other's knowledge on the rules of sales or give aways.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:29 am

I don't drink at all. I just know the laws vary considerably from back in the days I did drink. CT - can't buy alcohol anytime on Sunday or after 8 PM any day of the week. WVA - Alcohol only served in private clubs. VA has the restriction about no free alcohol. Not sure of any of the details, and I am sure some of these laws have changed, but these are just some of the variances I remember from the distant past. The one thing I do remember from back in my college drinking days was visiting cousins in Wisconsin - 25¢ beers - loved it.

This is merely an academic discussion for me. When I read the OP's post, ABC laws are the first thing that popped into my mind so I thought I would mention it. Again as I ended my previous post, ABC laws may not have anything to do with it.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
"Market Place" items run from the 75 cent candy bar to the $8+ frozen pizza / dinner. I'm guessing that some properties might discourage one from the the high end stuff?

The only time I saw alcohol in one was at a RI in Florida and they had no problem with me grabbing ONE Sam Adams (beer).

The most generous RI was on Long Island, NY where I had reserved 3 rooms for my daughters birthday slumber party in the dead of winter (on points) and they allowed me 3 units of Hagen Dias ice cream that went over good.

I'm a big fan of taking the gift at FS's and REN's instead of the 500pts but believe you are better off with the 200pts at other Marriott properties.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:13 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Fairfield Inn in Wausau WI offered choice of anything in their market, including small bottles of wine.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Platinum
Once, I stayed at a CY which had beer for sale in their marketplace. Went to buy a bottle, they told me to go ahead and take two as my Plat gift, free of charge.

But, when I later stayed at a SHS less than a block away, was told when I checked in to take any one NON-ALCOHOLIC item as my Plat gift.

So, either hotel policy, or inconsistent adherence to local laws...
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:59 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
When I used to stay pretty frequently with Marriott, I was consistently told by many a properties that alcohol was not included in what I could select as my platinum amenity from the Marketplace. In fact, the only one I can recall that let me take a full bottle of wine was the Residence Inn San Diego Scripps Poway or Central that suggested I take the bottle of wine as a nice evening cap for post dinner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.