Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Gold rewards member and room upgrades! Is it a scam??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold rewards member and room upgrades! Is it a scam??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by socrates
elite status for room types at some brands include "upgrade club/concierge level" REGARDLESS of payment method or method of reservation period

The one doesn't impact the other but both rules are always in effect...to be clear for example... a platinum has a standard room reserved using points, upon arrival the hotel has a concierge level room available, the platinum is to be upgraded to the concierge level rooms

Another example-if the same platinum wants to be guaranteed an upgrade perhaps because it's spring break with high demand in the area, the platinum can either redeem an upgrade award on top of the standard room award or the platinum could pay cash for the upgrade
1. So, based on what you said; there should be no difference in respect to elite upgrades between paid room and award rooms.
2. As far as I can see from the rules, the upgrades should not only be to concierge level rooms, but to any other rooms considered an upgrade (spa room, view room, etc.). Obviously, suite upgrades are not part of the program, but are nonetheless granted by some properties on occasion.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
BTW - back to the OP hearing the statement 'we don't participate in free upgrades for members' - unless that property is exempt (not likely) - I'd respond back, "if that's true you're not in compliance w/ Marriott HQ's established benefits, so I'd like to speak to a manager before I call Mr. Marriott to report your non-compliance w/ Marriott policy" & see where it takes you.

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
More things that may affect upgrades are your room preferences - let's say you have a preference for foam pillows, a refrigerator and low floor. They have the room available for you when you arrive, but if they were to honor your request for upgrade, they would have to prepare another room for you. So that may have something to do with it.

Upgrades requested in advance, however, have no excuse.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:54 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Really? 10% of guests are Platinum? I'd be shocked if the real percentage of Plats vs total guests in a random Marriott family hotel was higher than 2%. But maybe I'm wrong.
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Depending on what is going on, I think it can easily be that high on any given day, and much higher on some.

I am not sure what a "random Marriott family hotel" would be other than maybe the Courtyard, the Springhill Suites, and the Fairfield Inn & Suites Orlando Lake Buena Vista in the Marriott Village, or similar. Certainly the majority of full service Marriott's and Renaissance's, and very possibly the majority of Courtyard's and Fairfield Inn's are business hotels, and at those hotels the percentage of Gold, Platinium, and PP guests probably run anywhere from 10-25% during the week, depending on the type of hotel, and the location. That would certainly be the case for hotels in major cities, such as DC, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, etc.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ramalama8
More things that may affect upgrades are your room preferences - let's say you have a preference for foam pillows, a refrigerator and low floor. They have the room available for you when you arrive, but if they were to honor your request for upgrade, they would have to prepare another room for you. So that may have something to do with it.

That's true on both points. Cheers.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ohmark
1. So, based on what you said; there should be no difference in respect to elite upgrades between paid room and award rooms.
2. As far as I can see from the rules, the upgrades should not only be to concierge level rooms, but to any other rooms considered an upgrade (spa room, view room, etc.). Obviously, suite upgrades are not part of the program, but are nonetheless granted by some properties on occasion.
1) Yes

2) you are correct, I purposely used concierge though in my example to avoid additional confusion
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ramalama8
Upgrades do not need to be requested in advance
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:22 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by jan_az
On the other hand this weekend at the REN LAS we were offered either the CL level or a suite . Chose the suite
And the Renaissance Las Vegas has some fine suites too! I was upgraded on my last stay there myself, and I loved it! I can only hope to be upgraded to a suite on my next visit to the REN LAS in July, when I will be there for a professional conference. I would happily take the suite over a room on the CL floor and then take an elevator to the CL floor when I want to visit the lounge itself.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Are studios suites?

I am staying at a hotel next week and the ideal room for me is a studio. I am a Platinum Premier and have requested an upgrade if available. Are studios technically suites? There are plenty available right now.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
First, you are ALWAYS entitled to club access, re: if domestic or int'l if Gold, Plat or PP.

Yes, you are entitled to the bennies when traveling internationally. However, as you've noted, if you've already booked a club floor larger room in China, odds are that's all you'll get as suites are exempt. But hope springs eternal.

I've not stayed in HKG so perhaps others can chime in, but yes you have a 'shot' at an upgrade there. Again, you might want to check availability of the nicer rooms before checking in & if they are available, then have it in the back of your pocket (so to speak) when they assign your room.

Again, perhaps the folk who stay in Asia (I'm a UK/Europe gal so can provide more info on those properties) can chime in.

Cheers.
I can't comment on the Marriott in Hong Kong specifically, but I can comment on Marriott's in Asia generally, as I have stayed in a few of them.

With one exception, every FS hotel I have ever stayed at in Asia has had a concierge lounge, and I was granted access to the lounge in every one of those hotels. The only one which did not have a lounge was the Renaissance Tokyo Ginza, which was closed and renovated, and which is now the Courtyard Tokyo Ginza. I received true upgrades to either corner rooms or jr. suites in Singapore and at the JW in Bangkok.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by dionnec123
I am staying at a hotel next week and the ideal room for me is a studio. I am a Platinum Premier and have requested an upgrade if available. Are studios technically suites? There are plenty available right now.
Studios GENERALLY mean one room with a kitchenette setup, like in RI or SHS, and suites GENERALLY refer to two rooms or more, such as a bedroom and sitting or living room.

However, there are some hotels which refer to VERY large single rooms as suites, especially if they have larger hallway/foyer areas, and/or huge bathrooms, and/or a balcony, such as the JW Marriott Ihilani Resort & Spa at Ko Olina, which actually has all of those features in some of its suites.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dionnec123
Yes Studio's are suites./..technically they are "studio suites"
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by socrates
Yes Studio's are suites./..technically they are "studio suites"
Of course, in some hotels, such as RI, SHS, those are the standard room types.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by USirritated
I am not sure what a "random Marriott family hotel" would be other than maybe the Courtyard, the Springhill Suites, and the Fairfield Inn & Suites Orlando Lake Buena Vista in the Marriott Village, or similar. Certainly the majority of full service Marriott's and Renaissance's, and very possibly the majority of Courtyard's and Fairfield Inn's are business hotels, and at those hotels the percentage of Gold, Platinium, and PP guests probably run anywhere from 10-25% during the week, depending on the type of hotel, and the location. That would certainly be the case for hotels in major cities, such as DC, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, etc.
Bolding mine.

I'd definitely agree that Gold, Plat, and PP together and during the week would probably run easily into the 10-25% range. My guess is that there are easily three to five (maybe more?) times as many Golds as Plats and then even fewer PPs. Anyone got a guess on percentage breakdown?

But I would also say that the average Courtyard (or Fairfield or SS) in Orlando or Indianapolis or Denver on a Thursday night isn't stocked with 10% Platinums which is the number I was questioning.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Bolding mine.

I'd definitely agree that Gold, Plat, and PP together and during the week would probably run easily into the 10-25% range. My guess is that there are easily three to five (maybe more?) times as many Golds as Plats and then even fewer PPs. Anyone got a guess on percentage breakdown?

But I would also say that the average Courtyard (or Fairfield or SS) in Orlando or Indianapolis or Denver on a Thursday night isn't stocked with 10% Platinums which is the number I was questioning.
Orlando, probably not, but Indianapolis and Denver, yes, the average Courtyard on a Thursday night is probably stocked with 10% Platinums, or very close to that. In downtown areas and business submarket areas, I would guess that FI, SHS are similar midweek, because remember, families do not do most of their traveling midweek, except summer and holidays, business people do.

A couple of years back I was told by an executive at USAirways that Gold, Plats, and Chairmans make up between 22 & 25% of ticketed domestic travel. I would guess that this is probably similar for Marriott and the other major hotel chains, especially midweek, in nonresort and nontourist areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.