FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Kauai Marriott Resort Upgrade question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1069447-kauai-marriott-resort-upgrade-question.html)

sfskier Mar 31, 2010 3:00 pm

Kauai Marriott Resort Upgrade question

I am planning to stay at the Kauai Marriott 4/24-4/27. I am currently a gold member, may make platinum prior to stay (or during), does anyone know what types of benefits are available there for upgrades to an ocean view or if there is access to a hospitality suite?

hhoope01 Mar 31, 2010 3:21 pm

No suite or lounge. The do have some suites, but would be unlikely to upgrade a Gold elite to them. Though it couldn't hurt to ask. If the hotel isn't too full, you might just get lucky. :) As a Plat I did get one of their suite rooms once as an upgrade, but only that one time.

What I normally have received as an upgrade was an "ocean view" room. Usually on one of the top floors and close to the end of the wing which if you look out to your left you can see the water. But you would have a very nice view of the pool.

PHLGovFlyer Mar 31, 2010 6:27 pm

Was there as a gold in Feb. No lounge and not really much in the way of gold bennies (I took the points). They did upgrade us from the really cheap room we booked to a high floor ocean view room. My impression is that the property is a bit older so the standard rooms are not very large. However, they recently renovated so the furnishings in the room are nice. All in all a nice property and I'd stay there again if the price was right.

One hint - if you like sushi and sashimi try the on property sushi place near the pool (forgot the name). Very good and reasonably priced for a resort hotel restaurant.

sfskier Apr 1, 2010 7:55 am

There is a current deal for $199 a night so I booked the cheaper room hoping for a slight upgrade. Either way we don't tend to spend much time in the room. Thanks for the info!

mansh17 Apr 1, 2010 8:42 am

I am going in May and booked a 5 night stay using points. I booked a garden view with balcony sits it required the least amount of points. Couple of questions:

1) As a Plat, should I expect a room upgrade?
2) Since the property doesn't have a lounge, how does it handle the Guaranteed Lounge Access/Free Continental Breakfast

hhoope01 Apr 1, 2010 9:03 am

The times I have stayed at that hotel on awards, I booked the same room as you. I have always been upgraded to at least an Ocean View with a balcony.

Since the hotel is considered a "resort", they don't have to and don't provide breakfast or a lounge. (Though in the distant past, they did in fact, provide free breakfast. I was disappointed when they changed. :( )

aloha12 Apr 23, 2010 2:38 pm

Manager's E-Maill Address?

Does anyone have the e-mail for the general mamanger at this property? Thanks!

Kalboz Jul 24, 2010 12:25 pm

Resort Emerges Anew After $50 Million Makeover

http://news.marriott.com/2010/07/kau...-makeover.html

qlabdad Jul 24, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks and this is very timely. I'm a Gold and will be arriving at the resort in mid August. I thought the renovations were completed long ago but happy to see they are now down. It seems every time we travel to HI we are battling construction at Marriott hotels. This may be a first for us...
Anyone have any feedback on the renovated areas? Been there 3 times previously and the room definitly needed some attention. I'm hoping for the best on an upgrade!
Also would appreciate if anyone can reply with an email contact for the hotel for the concierge or GM to get some information on activities, etc.

Thanks again.