Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Latest on EEO Free Weekend/BOGO certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott discontinued these a few years ago. They are no longer available.
Print Wikipost

Latest on EEO Free Weekend/BOGO certificates

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Probably because its still a sore spot for some people who are ticked at how we're getting "Ed Frenched" with all of the negative changes to the program.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
I certainly wouldn't gamble away money on betting that BOGOs will return soon, but it is possible because there's actually an economic logic to offering elites this benefit in controlled quantity:

Most non-resort full-service properties run at quite low occupancies most weekends (yea there are exceptions, but this is the norm - after all, that's part of the rationale for keeping lounges closed on weekends at virtually all of these properties in North America.) Opaque bookings at these properties commonly can be made for about half of the published weekend rate, so it's not outrageous to think that allowing a few of these rooms to go to elites at such prices will not adversely impact a property's long-term bottom line. This is especially true when you think of the tremendous good will and enthusiasm for Marriott hotels that is created with Marriott Rewards elite members that use them (I personally didn't use them all that frequently, but really liked having the benefit). Nowadays, without this benefit and with most FS properties in NA being such dead places on weekends (you can't even get in the lounge to grab a soda from the frig, no breakfast coupons, no nothing) I prefer to stay at the non FS properties that feel much more welcoming to me on weekends.

So I believe it's actually a slam dunk win - win for Marriott Rewards to bring back the BOGOs in a controlled fashion (the right balance has to be found in these controls where it doesn't frustrate customers to the extent that they think the aren't worth it and where properties' risk is low of selling rooms at bargain basement rates during days when the demand actually turns out to be quite high). But I recognize the folks in Marriott that have the final say on this don't see it this way right now.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Aren't these long gone and buried under "What MR used to be" category? What's the point of discussing these when its not gonna change anything.
Pretty easy to avoid this thread if it's bothersome to you.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by pooker
Ed French released a statement when he removed this benefit. He said it was never an official benefit, even thought it was sent out with member packets. He also said that it was hard to get hotels to cooperate with providing this benefit, and it was hard to justify a %50 discount.

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Aren't these long gone and buried under "What MR used to be" category? What's the point of discussing these when its not gonna change anything.
Here's how this works for me. There are a set of benefits associated with any hotel rewards program. When benefits are increased, the program gets rewarded by announcing the new benefits publicly in the media and hopefully, new guests are attracted to the program.

When benefits are taken away, publicity can stir up negative media that can make guests think twice about their loyalty.

Marriott wanted to have their cake and eat it too by not taking the hit for removing elite benefits by pretending they were never there.

I'll be happy to quit coming back and complaining about the removal of EEOs as soon as Marriott admits that (a) EEOs were a benefit that members enjoyed (b) they needed to take them away (for whatever reason) and (c) contrary to their multiple statements from corporate personnel that they're never coming back and their best customers need to just get used to it. Oh, and they need to apologize for stringing people along saying that there were new, better benefits coming to replace them.

All hotel chains get negative publicity because of changes to their programs - PC and Hilton both just had huge devaluations recently and were rightly bashed for it. While the removal of EEOs isn't a loss on the same level, at least the other programs weren't deceptive in their changes and even allowed a short grace period to take advantage of old rates. Marriott not so much.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
While the removal of EEOs isn't a loss on the same level, at least the other programs weren't deceptive in their changes and even allowed a short grace period to take advantage of old rates. Marriott not so much.
This is true for the BOGOs, but not for other devaluations - Marriott's policy is regarding the category devaluations is superior to their competitors and I give them kudos for their customer friendly policy in giving their customers until May to line up res. for the coming year under the old categories.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Hyatt Gold Passport Continental FF Southwest FF Delta FF
As a retired person, I used the BOGO's simply to go with my wife to a destination for a relaxing weekend. I would be extraordinarily surprised if my free night EVER cost the hotel a paid night. Now the one or two nights that we paid for are history. As a lifetime Plat I no longer have much incentive compared to Hyatt, where I am diamond. I do have a large cache of Marriott Reward Points which I will be use before they are even more devalued. After that, I wish them well. If they ever come back to their senses, I will come back to their hotels.

Last edited by ichorush; Apr 19, 2013 at 5:02 pm Reason: misspelling
Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:51 pm

Is any version of this offer still available? Seen it referenced in numerous other threads, but can't find an active thread where this offer is the primary focus...
Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Gave me a chuckle. Gone the way of the dodo. Thanks for the rememberance
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by notahappycamper
Gone the way of the dodo.
And the way of Bonus Bucks (and Bonus Pounds).
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
These are dead (hence no activity in this thread for almost 4 years) and not coming back. Why dig up this dinosaur?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by rylan
These are dead (hence no activity in this thread for almost 4 years) and not coming back. Why dig up this dinosaur?
You did read #922 above, right? For better or worse, that's the poster's reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.