Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott offering points to decline maid service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
https://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn-marriott-rewards-points.mi

We’ll credit your account with 500 bonus points per day at participating Renaissance® and Marriott® hotels or 250 bonus points per day at participating Courtyard®, Fairfield Inn®, and SpringHill Suites® hotels in the U.S. and Canada.

You can pass on housekeeping any day, for up to 3 consecutive days at a time for up to 5,000 bonus points per continuous stay.

Available when you stay 2 or more nights at participating Renaissance, Marriott, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, and SpringHill Suites hotels in the U.S. and Canada. Generally the hotel will not access the room on opted out days, but reserves the right to do so. Please note that hotels will be implementing this new benefit throughout 2016.

Here's a list of properties from the Marriott website:

https://www.marriott.com/Multimedia/PDF/Rewards/MRW/Your_Choice_Participating_Properties_11-20-15.pdf

If you were able to opt-in via the mobile app, please feel free to indicate that as well. There appears to have been a recent update ~6/1/16.

USA

Alabama
Birmingham Marriott Grandview

Arizona
Courtyard Phoenix North

California
Courtyard Century City/Beverly Hills
Courtyard San Diego Downtown
Courtyard San Jose South/Morgan Hill
Fremont Marriott Silicon Valley
Fullerton Marriott at California State University
Marina del Rey Marriott
Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Marriott Marquis San Francisco
Marriott Sacramento Rancho Cordova
Monterey Marriott
San Diego Marriott Del Mar
San Diego Marriott La Jolla
Santa Clara Marriott
SpringHill Suites San Jose Airport

Colorado
Courtyard Denver
Denver Airport Marriott
Denver Marriott City Center - 500 pts per night

Connecticut
Hartford Marriott Farmington
SpringHill Suites Danbury - 250 pts per night

Delaware
Courtyard Newark - University of Delaware

Florida
Marriott Stanton in Miami
Tampa Airport Marriott
Tampa Marriott Westshore
Miami Airport Marriott
Fort Lauderdale Marriott Coral Springs Hotel, Golf Club & Convention Center
Orlando Airport Marriott
Courtyard Orlando Lake Buena Vista in the Marriott Village

Georgia
Atlanta Marriott Norcross
Renaissance Midtown Atlanta

Illinois
Chicago Marriott Schaumburg
Renaissance Chicage O'Hare Suites

Indiana
Courtyard Indianapolis/Carmel
Indianapolis Marriott East

Iowa
Cedar Rapids Marriott

Kansas
Overland Park (Kansas City) Marriott

Maryland
BWI Airport Marriott

Michigan
Detroit Marriott (Southfield, MI)
Courtyard Detroit (Warren, MI)

Minnesota
Minneapolis Marriott City Center

New Jersey:
Hanover Marriott

New Mexico:
Albuquerque Marriott

New York:
Fairfield Inn Saratoga Springs - 250 pts/day

North Carolina
Greensboro Downtown Marriott
Charlotte Renaissance South Park
Raleigh Marriott Crabtree Valley

Ohio
Dayton Courtyard North
Renaissance Cleveland Hotel
Cleveland Airport Marriott

Oregon
Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland South/Lake Oswego

Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh Airport Marriott
Courtyard Lansdale - 250pt per night, 3 night limit

South Carolina
Renaissance, Charleston
Marriott, Columbia

Tennessee
Renaissance Downtown Nashville - 500 per stay, for stays of 2+ nights

Texas
Austin Marriott South
Dallas, Marriott City Center
Dallas, Renaissance Market Center
Courtyard Dallas - Richardson (TX)
DFW Marriott Solana - Westlake TX
Austin University area Courtyard 250 points
Renaissance Austin

Utah
Springhill Suites Downtown, Salt Lake City, 250 points

Virginia
Crystal City Marriott

Wisconsin
Fairfield Inn Appleton

Brussels
Brussels Marriott -- €5 bar credit

Germany
Hanover Marriott

China
Courtyard Sha Tin

Canada
Toronto Bloor Marriott
Renaissance Downtown Toronto (at the Skydome)
Print Wikipost

Marriott offering points to decline maid service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, CO/Star Platinum/Gold, National Executive Elite
Be there rewards from the hotel or not, I always decline housekeeping so I don't need to leave tips on the table for the maids, or hide my dirty underwares in a bag, before I leave to work.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:53 pm

I'd take 1000 a night! Where does one find a list of participating hotels?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Dudey
There isn't one. We've had reports that a couple hotels are doing it (and the points were 500 & 1000), but it's not a formal program.

Cheers.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dudey
I'd take 250
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only one I can say for certain does it consistently is Norcross, GA. My husband stays there about every 3 months and it has been offered every time.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by annerj
I'd take 250
Cheap date. I'd want 500 or 1,000

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott Fullerton CA: You Tidy, we Reward!

The Fullerton Marriott at California State University offers 500 points per day of declined housekeeping, not valid of course on your check-out day.

This is the text on the card I get in my rooms there and hang on the door overnight (and into the next day):

Help us conserve!

Make a world of difference. Together we can save millions of gallons of water from chlorine and detergents.

Your choice - You tidy, we Reward!

You may choose to decline housekeeping service for the following day by hanging this card on your door before 2am. In return for going green, we will deliver a $5 Restaurant gift card you may use in our restaurant or lobby lounge. If you prefer you may also exchange unused gift cards at the front desk for 500 Marriott Rewards Points.

*Sorry, you may not decline housekeeping service on your day of departure from the hotel. Terms and conditions apply.

We appreciate your assistance in conserving our natural resources and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Printed on Recycled Paper

After I leave the card on my door overnight (though actually the first time I didn't put it on until morning, long after 2 am, and it still worked), I find a card slid under the door (sometimes while I'm in the lounge for breakfast, other times only when I come back that evening). It says:

Your choice - You tidy, we Reward!

$5.00 restaurant voucher
or
Redeem at the Front Desk for 500 Marriott Reward Points

Thank you for helping us conserve

On the back of the card is the room number and the date, handwritten (presumably by the housekeeping staff; I'd notice the same handwriting on consecutive days, btw).

It doesn't matter whether I turn my cards in to the front desk when I get them, or all together when I drop my keys off at checkout (just saying "I'd like the points" as I hand them the cards). They seem to only post the bonus points once a month (a sweep?), so depending on when in the month I stay it may post quickly or may take several weeks. (I had the bonus points from several stays on consecutive weeks all post at once.) It posts as:

FULLERTON MARRIOTT/CALIF ST UNIV BONUS

(of 500 points if one card turned in for a given stay, 1000 points if two cards turned in for a given stay, etc). Each stay's bonus posts as a separate entry on marriott.com.

(I don't know how long they've been doing this. I didn't start staying there until this fall, and they had them by then at least.)

The cards, btw, have a Marriott logo, but they also have the hotel name printed on them. (Having only seen this offer at this one hotel, and not having seen the actual text of the cards at any of the other hotels mentioned upthread, I can't tell whether the campaign name of "you tidy, we reward" is specific to this hotel or comes from Marriott central.)
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I'd rather the housekeepers keep their jobs. I suspect the main reason Starwood does this is to save on labor costs.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Last year the CY Denver had a similar offer.. I know this sounds cheap.. because it is, I went for it both for the points but it also saved me a $2 tip!

Disclaimer: poor scientist...
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I'd rather the housekeepers keep their jobs.
Are you a devoted hotel hopper then? Nothing gives housekeepers more work to do (by your reasoning, more ability therefore to retain their jobs) than checking out every day. There's more work involved in cleaning a room for the next guest than for intra-stay cleaning.

Anytime you choose to do a multi-night stay over a multiple one-night stays, you are lessening the amount of work for housekeepers (and thus already risking some of them possibly losing their jobs?).

But do housekeeprs really "lose" their jobs over this? Or is there enough naturral attrition that it just gradually reduces the hiring they need to do?

Far from all the people in the hotel, even on the executive club floor, hang these things on their doors. For one thing, those people who either are not Marriott Rewards members or are booking through ways that they don't earn points anyway, if also not interested in the $5 diining credit (or whatever the non-points option is), are not likely to take advantage of it. And people doing one-night stays can't take advantage of it. And people do two-night stays can only take advatnage of it on one of their two nights. Etc.

So it reduces housekeeping work around the edges. (The housekeeprs have a bit of adidtional work, btw, in filling out these cards and sliding them under the door, as a bit of an alternative to actualy cleaning the room.)

Furthermore, there are people at every hotel, who, lacking such cards, hang the "do not disturb" sign out and leave it out all day anyway. So for those who are already in the habit of "declining housekeeping" that way, this is a way to "profit" from what you've already been doing!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are you a devoted hotel hopper then?
I never hotel hop, I'm a Monday to Thursday business traveler. You do have raise some valid points though.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by jtp1947
So the more people who decline housekeeping the less housekeepers are needed. This is just me, but I don't want to add to the unemployment rate. I would hate to see housekeepers fired because I decline service.
while i generally agree with you, when i travel for business i have absolutely no need for housekeeping service the three nights i spend in a hotel. so, as an unnecessary service, i would love to decline it.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
I would be ecstatic if my property offered the same. At 1000 MR points per night, this will be a significant chunk for those of us clocking 100+nights.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
You can add Courtyard San Diego Downtown to the list.

"Do Not Disturb the Environment" card is on the bed.

If you are staying 2 nights or more you may elect to decline daily housekeeping services. By doing so you will be rewarded with 250 MR points per night (max 500 points per stay).

Hang card by 2am outside door to participate.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:02 pm
rln

Without exception, when I am staying more than one night I always alert housekeeping that I will not need their service - and, without exception, the housekeepers I speak with sound very gratified.

But, here we go again! You guys who scream about devaluation of Marriott points just can't wait to have more points thrown at you. As I've pointed out, there are bonuses galore in the Marriott system. Pick a card for points. Spin a wheel for points. Skip breakfast for points. Pay an extra $20 and get 2500 or 5000 points. The list goes on and on.

Now, I pay for my 100 nights plus a year - no business ties. I believe I earn bonus points at least equal to or greater than my revenue generated points. Business travelers may not be so sensitive to such things - but, exercising control over where you stay, there are always ways to score bonus points.

With all these points adding up in millions of accounts, no wonder the redemption amounts also go up. And there really is no reason to complain. If the company ever returns to a pure revenue driven system, no doubt the redemption amounts will also go down. For myself. that would be a bad thing. For those among you who stay on business accounts, doing away with all bonuses might be a good thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.