Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hotel checked me out early, jeopardizing Platinum requalification

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium

So I needed 2 more nights to requalify for Platinum and found a rate at the local Marriott for $49/nt. I booked those 2 nights 12/29-12/31. I checked in the night of 12/29 - went and messed up the bed sheets and left. Figured they'd make up the room on 12/30 and then would auto check me out on 12/31.

I got my bill in email today and they checked me out on 12/30!! What the hell! So now I'm 1 night short - what should I do? I know they may give it to me, but I'd rather qualify reguarlly.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:49 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
No worries. Odds are you will requal.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Marriott Platinum, Car Rental Agnostic
Any other day of the year.

this would be something you would be happy about.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat.
A tip for anyone who considers doing something like this in the future: Tell the front desk that you don't want maid service during your stay. And then to be safe, call the hotel early in the morning after your first night to remind them that you don't want maid service.

That way your bed stays messed up for both nights even though you weren't actually there.

If you want to be extra thorough, stick a piece of paper in the key slot that says "No maid service needed. Thank you".

Refusing maid service is common. Many of my co-workers do this for every stay because they don't want anyone in the room when their stuff is in there.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by jfulcher
So I needed 2 more nights to requalify for Platinum and found a rate at the local Marriott for $49/nt. I booked those 2 nights 12/29-12/31. I checked in the night of 12/29 - went and messed up the bed sheets and left. Figured they'd make up the room on 12/30 and then would auto check me out on 12/31.

I got my bill in email today and they checked me out on 12/30!! What the hell! So now I'm 1 night short - what should I do? I know they may give it to me, but I'd rather qualify reguarlly.
IAD MR did this to me a couple years ago and although it took a ton of phone calls and emails and faxes.. i eventually got stay credit for both nights
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:20 am

Programs: SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond BMI Silver
Would the do not disturb sign of helped in this problem?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:24 am

Just to be sure, you didn't use one of the EEO's that gets you the second night free, did you?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite

sorry but I think using the phrase that you were screwed out of status by the local marriott is a bit unfair....it's SOP for all hotels not just MI brands to have housekeeping check the status of all rooms daily, sure your room looked used the first day but the second day it didn't appear used and the hotel did you a favor by not charging you when you appear to have departed the day before
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tom92591
yes
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
i checked into a local hotel and needed 1 night for 75 nights. when i checked in i just told them i would not be using the room at all and did not need room keys etc. no issues on my end.

-dave
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: UAL- 1k, Marriot Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Plat.Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by socrates
sorry but I think using the phrase that you were screwed out of status by the local marriott is a bit unfair....it's SOP for all hotels not just MI brands to have housekeeping check the status of all rooms daily, sure your room looked used the first day but the second day it didn't appear used and the hotel did you a favor by not charging you when you appear to have departed the day before
I think "screwed" is fair. I was checked out in the same fashion a year ago. I was sent to work a scene for Uncle Sam. I left the room at 0700 on day 1 believing I would be back 8-12 hours later. 8-12 hours turned into close to 30 hours. I returned with my rucksack and my key didn't work. I went to the desk and they informed me that they checked me out, though I was booked for four nights.

Assumptions by a hotel are generally a bad idea! They have email and phone numbers for us all, they could call us and save themselves a great deal of work!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Tom92591
Next time I'll do this - and just frustrate the maid the day I'm supposed to check out.

Originally Posted by tvetter01
Just to be sure, you didn't use one of the EEO's that gets you the second night free, did you?
No.

Originally Posted by socrates
Why make assumptions? To me that's just losing out on income. If someone books 2 days and they don't stay the 2nd and don't get checked out you shouldn't do them any favors. In my opinion at least.

As a customer I enter into a contract for 2 nights. I should expect a room I can use for 2 nights whether I use it or not.

Yes they screwed me - and I will be calling Monday AM to give the GM an earful and make sure I get my 2 nights credited. I find it unacceptable they just check me out early. I booked 2 nights for a reason and didn't show up on 12/30 to check out that means I want to 2 nights I agreed upon when I made the reservation.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leatherheadiowa
I think "screwed" is fair. I was checked out in the same fashion a year ago. I was sent to work a scene for Uncle Sam. I left the room at 0700 on day 1 believing I would be back 8-12 hours later. 8-12 hours turned into close to 30 hours. I returned with my rucksack and my key didn't work. I went to the desk and they informed me that they checked me out, though I was booked for four nights.

Assumptions by a hotel are generally a bad idea! They have email and phone numbers for us all, they could call us and save themselves a great deal of work!
Again I believe it's extremely harsh and have received far more complains from guests for exactly the opposite reason...for what it's worth the process is: the housekeeper reports the status as Vacant while the front desk reports it as Occupied...a supervisor or manager at that point inspects the room and makes the final call....
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why make assumptions? To me that's just losing out on income. If someone books 2 days and they don't stay the 2nd and don't get checked out you shouldn't do them any favors. In my opinion at least.

As a customer I enter into a contract for 2 nights. I should expect a room I can use for 2 nights whether I use it or not.

Yes they screwed me - and I will be calling Monday AM to give the GM an earful and make sure I get my 2 nights credited. I find it unacceptable they just check me out early. I booked 2 nights for a reason and didn't show up on 12/30 to check out that means I want to 2 nights I agreed upon when I made the reservation.
Again - I've received far more complains from guests saying the opposite...."yes I know I had a reservation for 2 nights but you should have been able to see I had nothing in the room and known I had departed" or even worse "my travel agent made a mistake but you should have know I really needed....."....hotels do fairly well in all of these situations but again they are judgement calls and at times they will be wrong.....but please remember the hotel doesn't appear to have been the only party making an assumption in this case
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
While I can understand the implications involved and as socrates says the assumptions made by both parties why rush to judgement with to what are inflammatory thread titles? We don't know yet whether the GM might find a way to back date a reservation and charge you the $49 rate (I'm guessing the second night was never charged) and square things away with MR so why throw out accusations before due process has been conducted? Were things to not go as planned then IMHO you'd have more of a case to vent but more & more lately on FT it seems to vent first and ask questions later.

Just MHO, of course and I do hope all winds up well in your MR Plat quest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.