Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Marriott Resort in Southern CA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2009, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, US Gold,

I would like to use my Marriott points to stay for a long weekend in Southern California the week after Christmas. I know about the JW in Palm Springs but am thinking more about an upscale community on the coast. Any thoughts on La Jola, Ventura, Coranado, Dania Beach, or something in the OC icluding Newport?

Interested in nice views, dining, beaches and pools etc.

Thank you in advance for your advice!
Old Nov 7, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA fallen Gold, Marriott Gold, Priority Pass, Hertz #1 Gold
I can speak to the Marriott in Coronado. It's on the bay side, a very nice property. Walking distance to the ferry landing. I work on the island and have been to meetings a couple times over the years at this property. It used to be a Le Meridien.
Scott
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
If the Marriott Newport Coast Villas are available, that's a great property. It is normally a timeshare but is sometimes available as a hotel. The San Diego Marriott Marina is across the bay from the Coronado property and is quite nice as well with the pool area and whatnot, and the gaslamp is within walking distance.

The La Jolla property isn't bad but isn't great, I'd go with Del Mar instead for a newer property that is just as close to the beach.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
The Newport Beach MArriott hotel is very nice close to beach, shopping, excellent restaurants. Has a great Concierge Lounge and as a GOld have always goten great upgrades. As mentioned before the Newport Coast Villas are a great palce- full 2 bedroom condos- sometimes avaialbe on points and sometimes with M11 code have seen for $179 night.

In San DIego both the Coronado and Marriott Marina are very nice- Coronado better for vegging out the MArriott closer to conventon center better for being closer to Gaslamp and other activites.

La Jolla and Ventura hotels nothingn special. If you have some time may want to split trip and spend a couple days up in Ventura. The JW in Santa Monica is a great place
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Sounds like the Newport Beach Marriott sounds good. Perhaps I will break it up and stay at two properties.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
JW Le Merigot in Santa Monica? http://www.lemerigothotel.com/
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:28 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
My family loves the Marriott Gaslamp in San Diego.

It's very close to the vast Marriott Marina complex located adjacent to the convention center, but the only Marriott I have ever stayed in that has a boutique feel.

And this property is just 3-5 minutes walk from the heart of the Gaslamp District, with many outstanding shops and restaurants.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Probably a dumb question but are any of these properties on the beach?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:15 pm

Programs: US CP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, LHW Access, Hertz PC
You won't be able to walk out of your room onto the sand at any of the properties in Orange County, but some are closer to the beach than others.

(From south to north):

Marriott Laguna Cliffs: Actually in Dana Point, but convenient to Laguna Beach via a quick drive up Pacific Coast Highway. San Clemente and San Juan Capistrano are also very close to the south. The property is on a bluff over a bay / harbor, but it's a drive to a swimmable beach. Great balcony suites. Very 'beachy' feel.

Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel: Still on a bluff over the beach, but you can walk down to or take a shuttle / golf cart to the beach. Very worth staying for at least a night if you have a ton of MR points to blow through. Beware resort fee and valet-only, unless you want to park up the street for free (PM me if you want more details). This place is on the beach-side of PCH accross from the St. Regis Monarch Beach and 3-5 miles north of the Marriott Laguna Cliffs. 3-4 miles south of Laguna Beach and 8-10 miles south of Newport Beach.

Marriott Newport Coast Villas: I have seen pretty limited reward availability here, but this is the most family-friendly, since you're basically in a 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom condo with a full kitchen and dining room. Lots of kid & family-friendly activities.

Marriott Newport Beach: In Fashion Island - huge outdoor (high-end) shopping mall. Tons of restaurants and (obviously) shopping. NOT a walk to the beach. 1-2 miles from Corona del Mar Beach and 3-5 miles from Newport Beach. Nice place, adjacent to a golf course, but in more of a commercial & office area...
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Carry On
Probably a dumb question but are any of these properties on the beach?
Le Merigot about a block or two from beach,which is just behind hotel. Once on the beach, the famous Santa Monica pier is about a five minute walk.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Any thoughts on staying near the Santa Monica pier?
Old Nov 14, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Marriott Marina del Rey is a fw blocks off the beach. You have the canals and the beach promenade to stroll. Plenty of restaurants right next to the beach. You can take a taxi from LAX and never need a car for a few days stay.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Huntington Hilton vs Newport Beach Marriott

Thank you everyone. Just one more question/idea.

The Newport Beach Marriott sounds like what I want. I will not have kids with me so family activities are not important.

Here is the wrinkle I also have enough Hilton points so I have been thinking of the Huntington Beach Hilton. I know most of you are Marriott experts but can anyone compare these two properties?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.