Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Seoul Times Square, South Korea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Courtyard Seoul Times Square, South Korea [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Red259
Considering this property for a one night stay. I am thinking of having a layover in Seoul while travelling from China to Tokyo. I'd fly in early evening into Seoul and try to fly out to Tokyo at some point in the morning. Is this property easily accessible to/from ICN? How long does it take to get to/from the airport? Is it in a good nightlife area? Thinking of doing a points stay.
Probably takes an hour or more depending on eveming traffic. The nightlife is pretty dead there. Nothing but a mall around. Take the subway a few stops and hangout in Hongdae. Might have some stuff happening there being a college area.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Aventine
Probably takes an hour or more depending on eveming traffic. The nightlife is pretty dead there. Nothing but a mall around. Take the subway a few stops and hangout in Hongdae. Might have some stuff happening there being a college area.
Is there a Cat 4 marriott that would be in a better location that I should consider?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Red259
Is there a Cat 4 marriott that would be in a better location that I should consider?
Courtyard Dongdaemun is closer to Itaewon?
Old May 13, 2018, 3:15 am

This hotel has been renovating. The lounge is now reopened with new furniture and now has beer on tap (local beer but tastes like Coors Light). My guest room was also renovated (no more carpet, all hardwood, new furniture and finishings) and I was also told I was the first guest to stay in this particular room since the renovation.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Just a simple question. No need to read too much into it: I will be staying this weekend at this property. I remember that I was able to check in to the Courtyard Seoul Namdaemun from the executive lounge. I've stayed at Times Square before, but I can't for the life of me remember if I can check in at the Executive lounge there. An answer would definitely be appreciated, thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:20 pm

Any recent stays?
I see on tripadvisor that the executive lounge is closed.
Is there a reason why it is closed?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by r3cycle19
Any recent stays?
I see on tripadvisor that the executive lounge is closed.
Is there a reason why it is closed?
I know it was renovated last year, so not too sure why it would be closed now.

Here is their email if you want to ask: [email protected] / Acting GM: [email protected]

Let us know the result!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Nazdoom

Here is their email if you want to ask: [email protected] / Acting GM: [email protected]

Let us know the result!
Thanks for the email address.
I'll shoot them a email to find out why its closed.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Nazdoom

Let us know the result!
The response I got was that breakfast was served in the momo cafe instead of the executive lounge. But other wise the lounge is still opened for drinks and snacks.

Our executive lounge is still open at the 15th floor from 0600hrs till midnight which is still available for coffee, tea, soft drinks and snacks. However, Breakfast and Happy hour/Dessert bar will be serving from "Momo" which is located at 5th Floor. If your reservation is entitle for lounge benefit.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by r3cycle19
The response I got was that breakfast was served in the momo cafe instead of the executive lounge. But other wise the lounge is still opened for drinks and snacks.

Our executive lounge is still open at the 15th floor from 0600hrs till midnight which is still available for coffee, tea, soft drinks and snacks. However, Breakfast and Happy hour/Dessert bar will be serving from "Momo" which is located at 5th Floor. If your reservation is entitle for lounge benefit.
Interesting. I remember always having free breakfast from Momo as a Platinum member in 2017 and 2018, as the lounge was quite small with minimal choices. The Momo breakfast is good for an Asian Courtyard (comparable to a JW in America) - try the bulgoggi beef!

Back in May 2018 they were very proud to have just installed beer taps in the lounge. That said, the lounge is tiny, and on Fridays/Saturdays they would ask people to either stay for Session A (1730 - 1930) or Session B (1930 - 2130) to accommodate everyone. The lounge is coincidentally adjacent the rooftop seating area and connected via patio-like doors, but I imagine they lock it down in the cold winters. It is lovely during the summers and gives you a great view of Seoul from the rooftop; you can bring beer/drinks/food from the lounge (not an issue) and enjoy the fresh air and wind. On summer weekends they bring out the BBQs and sell tickets (around $50+) making it a restaurant, but on other days of the week you are free to use the space as you wish.

That said, I don't see having happy hour in Momo to be much of a downgrade as the food will likely be rotated more efficiently with better service. Just missing the views and the outdoor area. Enjoy our stay, I like this property a lot. The Namdaemun Courtyard is objectively a better location for leisure and has a better lounge, but the Times Square Courtyard is also excellent and can have really great rates.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:59 pm

Another couple stays at this property.

Breakfast for elites is still in Momo Cafe. Breakfast spread is the same as it has been for past several years and the bulgogi is delicious. Breakfast here definitely beats Courtyard Namdaemun (breakfast only in lounge unless you pay regular restaurant price).

Earlier this year this property relocated their executive lounge. Previously, they used the space on the 15th floor, which connects to an outdoor rooftop you can eat/drink from, with good views. That space is still accessible 0600-2400 but it only has soft drinks and coffee, no hot food or alcohol. Happy hour food and drinks are now in Momo Cafe on the lobby floor (5th floor) in the bar portion of the restaurant. Food quality is noticeably higher quality than before, usually includes plenty of cold veggies, 3 hot dishes (pasta/rice, meat, meat), pizza/naan/noodle soup, bread, and smoked salmon or sushi. No dessert until 1930-2030. Note, they end wine and hard alcohol at 2030 and there is only beer and nuts until 2130 (same as before, but annoying). Wine and liquor selection is enjoyable. The staff mentioned the lounge relocation is a trial as they are looking to repurpose the space in the 15th floor to something more worthwhile as it was too small for all the merged elite members. Other than lack of views, confused restaurant patrons unsure what the lounge set up is supposed to be, and occasional screams of children in the surrounding restaurant, this is a step up from before.

Property gives good recognition for elite members and I got a suite again for a 6 night stay. Staff gave us some chocolate lollipops and were always friendly, addressing me by name whenever I walked by the front desk. Plats and above get 3 pieces of free laundry. I got sick from my time in China and staff proactively asked if I needed a doctor and suggested I visit the English-speaking pharmacist in the mall. They also set up a humidifier in my room to help with my dry sinuses.

Note that housekeeping services end at 1600 and concierge at 2200.

Property is connected to Tines Square mall and the path from there can take you to the subway. In the surrounding area (Yeungdeungpo) there is a large "food area" in the alleys that is open late / all night with many restaurants, arcades, karaoke, etc. We enjoyed BBQ at 4am on a Tuesday night and there were many young couples / 20 year olds hanging out in this area. Do note, though, the other side of the hotel is more red light districty, although it is exceptionally safe (Koreans routinely leave their phones on tables unaccompanied to reserve their space, don't worry much about crime).

Concierge here are really proactive. I told them I needed to buy a specific model of something and without me prompting, they went down to the mall and started asking store staff.

Overall I really like this property and it is clear the staff care.
Xeno likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
I had a recent stay as well - my experience was the same as Nazdoom's. Had a 2 night stay. Breakfast in Momo Café is great - noodle bar, eggs made to order, hash browns, sausage links, grilled tomatos, salad bar, pastries, fruit, and Korean dishes (unfortunately, no Bulgogi the days I was there - but the sautéed chicken, kim chi stew, dumplings were great). Unfortunately, no suite upgrade for me - my Suite Night Upgrades didn't clear - hotel staff said that no upgrades were available since weekends are a bad time to stay given the high occupancy.

I liked the location - convenient to public transit, and the Subway Line 1 takes you into the historical/touristy areas within 20 minutes with no changes/transfers so thought that was great.

Lounge experience in Momo Café was good too - on Saturdays, they do ask that you pick 1 of 2 sessions for Happy Hour (17:30-19:30 or 19:30-21:30), whereas the other nights are 17:30-19:30 for Happy Hour, and dessert service is 19:30-20:30. 3 hot dishes, salads, fruit, cheese, etc.

On night 1: seafood stir fry, sesame chicken and shrimp fried rice were the hot options, while the other items were fish salad, garden salad, sushi, Korean chicken wings and fruit. Dessert was chocolate cake squares.
Night 2: roasted duck, chili shrimp and spaghetti with tomato sauce for the hot options, while the other items were mushrooms, garden salad and fruit. Dessert were 2 different custards and the chocolate cake squares.

Overall, great experience. Facilities wise, I think 1 notch slightly below that of the Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin (the touches / furnishings at the Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin remind me of the JW Marriott in Shanghai) and the spa area (sauna/steam room) is top notch. Courtyard Seoul Times Square has a decent fitness center but does not have a spa area/sauna/steam room or pool. I figured that this was attributed to the CY Times Square being more of a business traveler hotel?

I'll post the welcome letter and the discount listing (you can get % off restaurants/shops in the Times Square mall simply by showing your room key) in the next 2 posts.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:46 am

Welcome letter for elites

Xeno likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:48 am

Discount listing for restaurants/shops in the Times Square mall - present your room key to receive the discount

Xeno likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Just got am email from the hotel that says the Happy Hour is no longer being offered in the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.