Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fishingfrye
Danola,
Thanks for the advice. We do have access to the Executive Lounge because we are Plat. members, but are paying for some of the nights because we will need 2 rooms. I have read about the locations being near the Middle East area and that doesn't bother us. We just want a clean room and three blocks is not that far to us for walking.......
I have stayed here many times for work. I assume the "Middle East" comment (which I disagree with) is referring to Edgeware road- which is one of the main thoroughfares of London. The location is very good- you are three minutes walk from Portman Square, Oxford Street, and of course you are quite close to (surprise surprise) Marble Arch. If you are arriving at LHR and take the Heathrow Express, the taxi to your hotel should be around only 10 GBP and take mere minutes.
The building is fairly charmless on the outside, however the rooms are very comfortable and although not large they make a good use of the space. I did have snacks one night in the Lounge, although I would make a bit of a pass of this- not that great of a Lounge (it is fine however).
Location- Very Good by London Standards
Price of 160 GBP- depends when you are travelling to London, however in general this is a very reasonable price
Public Transport- All forms nearby
I would say you will be fine- this is a 4* choice and the staff are quite competent.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: Delta platinum Marriott Plat. Avis Preferred US Air Platinum
I stayed there with my family a couple of years ago and the rooms were fine. I thought the lounge was fine as well.

There is a walk to the tube, but it is not that bad. There are good restaurants and pubs in the area that are off the main street and located in the neighborhoods, so be sure to ask the concierge. The staff is very good at this hotel.

There are better Marriotts in London, but if I were paying for the nights, I would stay where I could get the cheaper rate. This hotel should suit your needs.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 2:06 pm

Thank you so much for the good comments. We feel for the value (we are going next June) it would be a good hotel. We are staying for 10 nights, so really couldn't afford the higher end Marriots.......
Thanks

Barbara
Old Oct 9, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
Have you looked for LNF (look no further) rates by comparison shopping other websites? I have some nights booked at the Grosvenor House coming up in December and my rate is 98.00 GBP/night for the weekend nights. Sometimes you can stretch this to 4 nights so if your 10 nights include 2 weekends, you might be able to get a higher rated hotel for the same money. Likewise - you may be able to get Marble Arch for less. Also, peruse the "Deals" at the London hotels and see if any offer the "buy 2 nights, get one free". This has been a pretty steady promotion of late. If you have the time, I'd urge you to look into rates on other sites and then try to get Marriott to match. Read their Look No Further rate guarantee terms and conditions and give it a try

Last edited by dalm; Oct 14, 2009 at 3:01 pm
Old Oct 10, 2009, 4:14 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by wxguy
There's a long thread somewhere about all of the hotels in London, including the MA. That being said, it's one of my least favorite hotels in the world.
In addition to the long walk to the Tube, my negative experiences are mostly related to the lounge. It's rather small, and it seems as though they give everyone access. On three separate stays, I could not get a seat for breakfast. And at cocktail time, the lounge was overrun by kids unsupervised by their parents -- it was like a day-care center. When I asked the staff about this, they said, "Their parents paid for access, so anyone in the party can be there." When I asked about minimum age for unsupervised access, they shrugged.

Time to move on.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
I stayed there twice this week. As a Platinum member, I got an upgrade to a premier king room both times (their largest room, although not very large but I guess that's London).

I liked the hotel a lot. It's pretty central. It's a 15 minute walk from Paddington station. The tube is about a 10 minute walk away. The hotel is modern and the staff friendly.

The lounge is fairly small but wasn't crowded at all when I was there. You can choose to have breakfast in the lounge or in the restaurant (the restaurant has by far the better selection but the lounge is probably better if you're in a hurry). Snacks are served in the evening as well as cakes and drinks (wine, beer and various soft drinks).

The hotel has a great Leisure Club. It's open from 6am to 11pm. I particularly liked the pool since it has a great temperature (30°C). There's also a gym, a whirlpool and a sauna (although that's closed until approximately the end of the year because they have to apply for some kind of health and safety permit.)
Old Oct 6, 2012, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
One more remark regarding the lounge: in the evening, it's open from 5.30 pm to 8pm.

The lounge is accessible during the whole day and has drinks (tea, soft drinks, water), a TV, and one PC with a printer.

Last edited by tbm13; Oct 6, 2012 at 4:55 am
Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update on Marble Arch, and also the update on brekkie in lounge or restaurant.

I haven't stayed at MA in years, but agree it's a reasonable choice w/ a decent location if you get a good rate.

Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Stayed there this past week. Overall good service, including attentive staff. Lounge (which is open until midnight, by the way) has free internet (vs paid in the business center). The lounge is very small but wasn't crowded. Choose a different Marriott if it's important to be by the Tube as it's a long walk to all of them.

I was told I had a room upgrade, but the room I had was very small (not unusual for London). Also even though breakfast is available in the lounge, it's still free in the restaurant, where you have a much better selection.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Stayed there this past week. Overall good service, including attentive staff. Lounge (which is open until midnight, by the way) has free internet (vs paid in the business center). The lounge is very small but wasn't crowded. Choose a different Marriott if it's important to be by the Tube as it's a long walk to all of them.

I was told I had a room upgrade, but the room I had was very small (not unusual for London). Also even though breakfast is available in the lounge, it's still free in the restaurant, where you have a much better selection.
From what I remember, I was once told that there are NO suites in the entire hotel.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
From what I remember, I was once told that there are NO suites in the entire hotel.
There are suites- nothing that special however they are there...
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:52 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
First time back here for several years, nothing much has changed - except the price!!

500 GBP for a room is incredible for this hotel, but Billy Muggins here paid it as I had a meeting several doors down the road. And the hotel was full...And is tonight also. Most of the central London hotels were all a similar price, and I can't think why other than the Poland game, but that was the night before.

Great service from all the staff, really enjoyed the brekky, skip the lounge and us the restaurant, all sorts of choices.

One minor gripe was the room service quesadilla the night before - greasy, burnt and yuk.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beano HK
First time back here for several years, nothing much has changed - except the price!!

500 GBP for a room is incredible for this hotel, but Billy Muggins here paid it as I had a meeting several doors down the road. And the hotel was full...And is tonight also. Most of the central London hotels were all a similar price, and I can't think why other than the Poland game, but that was the night before.

Great service from all the staff, really enjoyed the brekky, skip the lounge and us the restaurant, all sorts of choices.

One minor gripe was the room service quesadilla the night before - greasy, burnt and yuk.
500 Quid? For a room here? REALLY.... There are a lot of hotels in London where 500 pounds will go a very long way indeed. A Premier Room at the Four Seasons does not hit 500 GBP very often and is about 1.5 km down the road.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 5:08 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Really!
Old Oct 18, 2013, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beano HK
Really!
Rack Rate at the Four Seasons Park Lane is 530 GBP including taxes. Combine this with Virtuoso benefits and you will have a minimum of free breakfast and an extra amenity (i.e. lunch or spa credit).

I have no problems with this particular Marriott however if I need to be in this part of London and the hotel is on parity with the newly renovated Four Seasons- I know what I would choose....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.