Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
That would be the Fantastic Suites.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Great! Thanks William.

Fantastic Suite

A vibrant energy surges through this one-bedroom suite in a splash of teal awash with tones of white in this urban paradise, where a setting of porcelain ceramic tiles and marble is accented by glossy acrylics. You know you're living the high life with ceilings that soar nine feet above and an expansive private glass balcony with breathtaking views of the beach and ocean. All night long, a panel of spandrel glass reflects the lights of downtown Miami or the moonlit waters of the city.

Come alive in the living room, where rock photography by the Grammy-nominated Danny Clinch sets the tone for the state-of-the-art entertainment system. Featuring a wall-mounted 42" flat screen plasma TV, DVD/CD combo, clock/radio with iPod docking station, movies on demand and our culturally aware CD/DVD library selection (available from Whatever/Whenever), take in the sights and sounds from the comfy sofa or armchair. Connect to anywhere in the world at the work desk with High Speed Internet Access and cordless phone with voicemail, speaker and dataport capabilities so you can call home wherever you roam. The full-service kitchenette is outfitted with top-of-line appliances and custom designed Italian cabinets, so you can play house in contemporary luxury. For a quick pick-me-up, explore the delightful Munchie Box for a treat, or create a sip from the mini bar.

When it's sleepy time, your bedroom awaits with the king-sized signature W bed adorned with pillow-top mattress, 350-thread-count Egyptian cotton sheets and goose down comforter and pillows, and a 37" flat screen TV. Slumber in the ambient glow from the textured mirror, framed and lit from behind the white crocodile-skin headboard. When it's soapy time, unwind in the spacious bathroom lined with Cippolino marble, fitted with vanity countertops, chrome fixtures and self-closing drawers. Waltz into the spacious walk-in shower or shimmy into the tub, where the Bliss Spa sinkside six is a perfect bath companion, as a set of glass cubes emanates a gorgeous glow from the oversized mirror. (635 - 1,129 square feet)

Kitchenette
One Bedroom Suite
Living Room

Sounds like a great upgrade
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ok, i admit im fairly impressed.

1. selling out in this economy
2. all condohotel, no residences ^
3. seems like 2BR rates from $780. apparently W FLL is similar.

$2,500 2BR wow (none in inventory)
$3,000 3BR e wow
(must be on 1 or more floors below penthouses?)

still under construction (all with plunge pools) >
$3,500 - 2BR duplex penthouse wow (4) (all with japanese tub)
$4,000 - 3BR duplex penthouse e wow (4) (1 with japanese tub)
$10,000 - 2BR triplex bungalow (5) (1 with lap pool)
http://www.wsouthbeachresidences.com/

FL resident (need ID) 20% off (SET 351186) works on 3BR e wow (2BR with den) right now, but will probably not be bookable for much longer. $3000 > $2400.

no SPG50 on top suites. didnt ask about other rack rates, but from this promo (based on rack) >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...amer-apac.html it looks like it will be like LM sunny isles, former st regis FLL, former atlantic, etc and have great SPG50 rates. ^

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 28, 2009 at 10:40 pm
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:49 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Thyetus is checking into this.
Did we ever get validation whether the hotel is or is not a resort?

I looked through this thread, but maybe I just missed the answer.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

For parking street spaces are plentiful around here and reasonably priced. In effect 9am - midnight and 1.25 an hour, max 8 hours. There are also fixed priced garages not too far I recall. Finally, the Avis city location is a block and a half away so it can make sense to taxi in from the airport then pick up a car at Avis when you need it. As a bonus you save some of the airport taxes had you rented at MIA.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
no SPG50 on top suites. didnt ask about other rack rates, but from this promo (based on rack) >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...amer-apac.html it looks like it will be like LM sunny isles, st regis FLL, former atlantic, etc and have great SPG50 rates. ^
I don't think those rates are based on rack. That link offered $199 W Times Square rate and $398 is definitely NOT the SPG50 rate at W Times Square. It's much higher.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta DM, SP Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

For parking street spaces are plentiful around here and reasonably priced. In effect 9am - midnight and 1.25 an hour, max 8 hours. There are also fixed priced garages not too far I recall. Finally, the Avis city location is a block and a half away so it can make sense to taxi in from the airport then pick up a car at Avis when you need it. As a bonus you save some of the airport taxes had you rented at MIA.
Excellent information, thank you!

I am hoping to use the 3 free weekend nights I'm earning this month to take a little Labor Day weekend trip here with the wife. As we'll have to check out at 11 AM, but want to extend the stay till late Monday night, grabbing a rental from the Avis for Monday only and returning it to MIA sounds like a great option.

Lee
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:17 am
Suspended

Not sure exactly when you where last in Miami Beach and what day of the week it was but street parking (meters) can be hard to find and almost impossible to find on most weekends (and a holiday weekend to boot) as a result paying for the convenience of valet at any hotel will pretty soon seem like a fantastic deal.
Added that the meter attendents are pretty aggressive and if left too long at an expired meter you will encurr the dreaded towing fee.

Most of the establishments on Ocean Blvd uses the "pool" valet parking but be sure to remember where you handed your car over as they begin to look the same after a few drinks under the belt.

mike
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:24 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Did we ever get validation whether the hotel is or is not a resort?

I looked through this thread, but maybe I just missed the answer.
Not as yet. When the answer comes, one of us will post it.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BlissWorld, the promo i saw said "up to 50% off rack rates" and said w south beach $270 IIRC.

also, like i said, other FL properties have been great, unless there has been a change, so its more reasonable to assume it will also be great.

not to mention that they would probably not have bothered to exclude top suites from SPG50 if there was not at least a reasonable discount.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt

Originally Posted by MIKESILV

Not sure exactly when you where last in Miami Beach and what day of the week it was but street parking (meters) can be hard to find and almost impossible to find on most weekends (and a holiday weekend to boot) as a result paying for the convenience of valet at any hotel will pretty soon seem like a fantastic deal.
Added that the meter attendents are pretty aggressive and if left too long at an expired meter you will encurr the dreaded towing fee.

Most of the establishments on Ocean Blvd uses the "pool" valet parking but be sure to remember where you handed your car over as they begin to look the same after a few drinks under the belt.

mike
I was there five days ago and lived there for a while. I stand by my comments - north of Lincoln Road up to 41st I've never had any problems. The garages off Lincoln Rd have always been fine for me as well.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Not as yet. When the answer comes, one of us will post it.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Thanks William, I just feel like a fast one is about to be pulled, because Starwood and this property must know if they are a resort or not.
What I feel is happening is W South Beach has had a change of heart, and wants this property to now be considered a resort. In the mean time what happens if someone demands their 4pm checkout priviledge?
This is getting really interesting.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:14 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Thanks William, I just feel like a fast one is about to be pulled, because Starwood and this property must know if they are a resort or not...
They are listed as being a resort internally; however, I am waiting for verification of this to be confirmed by their being adding to the list of resorts in the T&C's. Then I will update their status in the resorts list here on Flyertalk.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:07 pm

watch out!

I have read these forums for over a year but never felt inspired to really be an active member until now...

I stayed at the W South Beach the 2nd weekend they were open with my boyfriend. We are both platinum SPG and booked the room using free weekend nights for his birthday trip.

Had a major altercation... I was on call for work on Saturday so when we decided to go out to the beach I left my iPhone on the credenza so it would ring before kicking to voicemail (horrible reception in the rooms BTW).

Anyway- we came back after being out a couple hours and housekeeping had come and cleaned and also taken my iPhone. I have been staying in hotels every week for the past couple of years and htis is the first time anything has ever been stolen from me.

After we searched the entire room and realized that both the phone and the charger that was plugged in to a wall in the other room were missing, we called security and filed a report so they could begin their 'investigation'.

We were told that they would get back to us in an hour or so. When we didn't hear back we stoped by the W/W desk and inquired on status and were told she would check the status and let us know in 15 minutes. Well, 15 minutes later, still nothing and so we called back (at this point i was starting to freak out). Then were told to wait another 2 hours. So finally when we still hadn't heard and we were getting ready to leave the hotel for a night out, we asked to speak to the head of security. My boyfriend talked to him first and basically the head of security said that it would take a couple of days for them to complete an investigation and he argued we wouldn't be here then so what are we supposed to do in the meantime? We got no real answer. So I decided to speak with the head of security, at this point getting upset. You can tell they are a new hotel and not ready to handle these situations because the head of security basically said it was my fault i didn't put the phone in the safe provided (this sent me into tears!)... so I'm in the lobby crying and arguing with the head of security and I basically just said can't you do something in the interim so that i'm not left without a phone. Obviously with new staff they can't know that all of housekeeping is 100% trustworthy.

So, finally after all the arguing and insults thrown at me by the head of security I was able to get him to apologize and remedy the situation by reimbursing me for the purchase of a new phone... unfortunately it took them 8 hours and a good deal of arguing to agree to this.

My point - beware! Lock up your valuables to avoid this drama!

On another note, we came back to our room on sunday to find empty beer cans we didn't drink in the kitchen, to which we notified the W/W desk and the charges later showed up on our bill... how ridiculous! its a nice property but obviously they've got a great deal to figure out before they are able to offer the service you would expect to get at W. As for me, I think I'll stick to Luxury Collection
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by 1stClassTravelGirl
So, finally after all the arguing and insults thrown at me by the head of security I was able to get him to apologize and remedy the situation by reimbursing me for the purchase of a new phone... unfortunately it took them 8 hours and a good deal of arguing to agree to this.

My point - beware! Lock up your valuables to avoid this drama!
I'm actually surprised they gave you $ for a new phone, especially since you can't prove that it was stolen and you were provided with an in-room safe. Whats to stop someone who lost their phone while clubbing in SoBe to claim it was stolen from their room? I'm sure people try to scam hotels all the time so I think it's nice they gave you money (for the record, I don't think you scammed them).

Certainly a crappy situation, but a good lesson to lock things up- no matter what hotel you are in.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 2P, DL GM, AA
Looks Good!

Place looks great. I actually am staying here for a few days in a Wonderful Studio in mid-August.

Any idea if they have lounge chairs on the beach? Do you have to pay to use them as a guest? I noticed on the website that it says lounge chairs are available for the beach "to rent"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.