Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: QFWP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ChrisOh806
I think it just depends on the dice roll.
I agree, but then I'd say the same applies for most hotels.

I scored a suite upgrade (Fantastic Suite) at W South Beach last year without even asking. It was a nice little suite too - certainly one of the more impressive W upgrades I've had (I find Ws to be the stingiest SPG properties when it comes to upgrades, world-wide).

I find Westins the best with upgrades - have had some amazing upgrades in Asia and the US....just unfortunately not Australia, where the majority of my Westin stays are.

Cheers,
- Febs.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: Starwood
Paid Upgrades

I will be at the W South Beach Aug 18th-22nd. I reserved a marvellous suite but I am afraid it may be too small for a party of 3. If possible I will like a 1BR bungalow or the 2 BR suites.

Does this hotel allow paid upgrades? I am not anticipating any free upgrades.

Anyone with "paid upgrade" experience?

Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, SP Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Leezell
Just booked using my free nights, received same "no upgrades" verbiage in my confirmation email.

See if it pans out....
Update:

Just tacked on a Friday night to the Saturday/Sunday stay I booked above. Confirmation email did NOT have the "no upgrades" verbiage.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:08 am

Update:

Just tacked on a Friday night to the Saturday/Sunday stay I booked above. Confirmation email did NOT have the "no upgrades" verbiage.
Are you sure???

look closely in the "We are looking forward to your arrival" email and you will see a note that states the following -

"Due to the popularity of suites, we are very often unable to provide upgrades. We realize that a suite may be very important to you. If you wish to be assured of staying in one, we strongly recommend making your reservation for a suite, at the corresponding price or Starpoints value."

They are basically telling you to reserve a suite, if you want it sooooo bad....lol....cant blame them, their suites are REALLY POPULAR....

Last edited by Madefornow; Aug 3, 2011 at 8:09 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:16 am

I can confirm that the "no upgrades" or "unable to provide upgrades" verbiage did not appear on the confirmation email I received yesterday. A reservation I made about 2 weeks ago (that I later cancelled) did have this stipulation.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SP Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by naijaman
Update:

Are you sure???

look closely in the "We are looking forward to your arrival" email and you will see a note that states the following -

"Due to the popularity of suites, we are very often unable to provide upgrades. We realize that a suite may be very important to you. If you wish to be assured of staying in one, we strongly recommend making your reservation for a suite, at the corresponding price or Starpoints value."

They are basically telling you to reserve a suite, if you want it sooooo bad....lol....cant blame them, their suites are REALLY POPULAR....
Read it three times, nothing of the sort.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I was thinking of using my FRN at the W South Beach in Sept. But after reading the reviews on trip advisor and just the last few posts here, I decided to just pay for a room at the Hyatt Regency instead, very reasonable AAA rate with breakfast.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 4:47 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat
I know they are very different properties in terms of price and cachet but it's interesting to compare how both hotels have dealt with a pre-request.

I had reserved my free 3 nights at the W SOBE for next week (Weds-Sat) and asked the hotel if I booked an Oasis suite for the Monday/Tuesday whether they would leave me in the suite for the remainder of my stay. 3 exchange of e-mails later, they still wouldn't commit and maintained the line that it was subject to availability. Fair enough I understand and respect that.

Meanwhile up the road at the W Fort Lauderdale I made a similar request for the Spectacular Flat. Now that isn't part of the upgrade pool but we have been upgraded to it before and love having a full kitchen when on vacation. 2 exchange of e-mails later, they confirmed that whilst it wasn't standard they would make a special exception and allow me to stay in the flat for the full stay.

Not making any judgements but thought I would share.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by ChrisOh806
I think it just depends on the dice roll. I stayed there a few weeks ago using the free resort nights deal and they upgraded me from the standard room to a spectacular suite. I think it depends on capacity.
+1
I just arrived to the W SOBE today using my 3 Free Resort Nights earned. I was also upgraded to a Spectacular Suite......without asking. Big ^ to the property for this.

On the other hand, I called Whateven Whenever 5 times this afternoon to place a room service order. They kept putting me on hold and then not returning to the phone. I kept having to hang up and dial again. Big
to the property for this.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Used my free resort nights at this property last weekend. Was not given any upgrade. Had to call 3 times to get a slightly later check out time.

The staff was very nice but really no benefit at all to being a Platinum member aside from the 500 point amenity.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:10 am

Used my FRN nights on Aug 20 - 21. Called a week earlier inquiring about an upgrade. Manager agreed to confirm an upgrade to a Fantastic Suite for $50/ night. reluctanly, I agreed. I though this was sort of strange in that I was a Platinum member.

Check-in was quick and they had reserved a suite on the 4th floor. I inquired about a suite on a higher floor and they placed me on the 14th Floor. Room was great, service was great, view was great. Overall, stay was one of the best @W so far.

My wife and I would leave th hotel every morning and return ~ 2pm - 3pm. Room was always clean at that time. The only drawback was that we would get a knock on the door ~3pm (exactly when we were relaxing, taking a shower, etc) to check the mini-bar. This was nconvenient. A week after check-out we noticed an extra charge on our credit card for wine from the mini-bar (which we did not incur). Notified management and they quickly credited our CC.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by tslecr
Used my FRN nights on Aug 20 - 21. Called a week earlier inquiring about an upgrade. Manager agreed to confirm an upgrade to a Fantastic Suite for $50/ night. reluctanly, I agreed. I though this was sort of strange in that I was a Platinum member.

Check-in was quick and they had reserved a suite on the 4th floor. I inquired about a suite on a higher floor and they placed me on the 14th Floor. Room was great, service was great, view was great. Overall, stay was one of the best @W so far.

My wife and I would leave th hotel every morning and return ~ 2pm - 3pm. Room was always clean at that time. The only drawback was that we would get a knock on the door ~3pm (exactly when we were relaxing, taking a shower, etc) to check the mini-bar. This was nconvenient. A week after check-out we noticed an extra charge on our credit card for wine from the mini-bar (which we did not incur). Notified management and they quickly credited our CC.

oh my!!! thats crazy.....am an SPG Gold member and i got upgraded to an Oasis Suite that same weekend. I reserved the spectacular rooms using FRN and was shocked to see Oasis suite upgrade 3days before arrival . 8/20-8/22, unfortunately i cancelled the reservation due weather cancellation.

my friends that are Gold members didnt get upgraded either for thesame weekend.....
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Seat 1F
+1
I just arrived to the W SOBE today using my 3 Free Resort Nights earned. I was also upgraded to a Spectacular Suite......without asking. Big ^ to the property for this.

On the other hand, I called Whateven Whenever 5 times this afternoon to place a room service order. They kept putting me on hold and then not returning to the phone. I kept having to hang up and dial again. Big
to the property for this.
Arent Spectacular suites what you are booked into using the FRN awards??? They are definitely not upgrade rooms, despite what you may have been told at check-in. They are standard suites IMO, just a higher flr than the wonderful suites.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Yes, spectaculars are the standard room booked through the free resort nights so paying $50 extra for it as a Platinum, you got ripped off. I had a spectacular booked from the start. When I checked in I asked if there were any suites available and was told, oh no, you should keep what you have, as the views are amazing. Well I saw a slice of the ocean and had a view of the hotel next door--hardly amazing.

Solea on Sunday also sucked. The only option is the lame brunch. Could not get anything else and did not want to pay $31 to have a little fruit which is all I wanted. Walked out after being seated and just went to Whole Foods instead.

The cleaning staff was great and the room was not bad for paying nothing but I certainly would not have paid $500/night for it.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Yes, spectaculars are the standard room booked through the free resort nights so paying $50 extra for it as a Platinum, you got ripped off.
You sure about that? My FRNs booked into a Wonderful room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.