Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by CPRich
Were you in renovated rooms? I'm not worried about the work impacting our stay - it's not until next June - but I'm debating here vs. a Hilton property in town. This property gets below average scores on various review sites, but I'm expecting the renovation to address it.

I may have to refresh/bump this request in the spring if the work is just starting.
Our room had not been renovated. It was quite spacious with a nice balcony, but definitely in need of an update. The lobby and restaurants did not seem to need renovation (perhaps already done). Loved the large lagoon-type pool areas with man-made beaches, the close proximity to the real beach and the excellent service by the staff.

I would think that they would be pretty far along/finished with the renovations by next June, but definitely get an update when it's closer to your arrival date.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 4:47 pm

Were you in renovated rooms? I'm not worried about the work impacting our stay - it's not until next June - but I'm debating here vs. a Hilton property in town. This property gets below average scores on various review sites, but I'm expecting the renovation to address it.

I may have to refresh/bump this request in the spring if the work is just starting.
I'm having the same debate - Sheraton PD or Hilton Cairns. I'm hoping the renovations address some of the negative reviews (it does look really outdated). My stay would be at the beginning of January.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:42 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ashap
I'm having the same debate - Sheraton PD or Hilton Cairns. I'm hoping the renovations address some of the negative reviews (it does look really outdated). My stay would be at the beginning of January.
I would choose the Hilton Cairns or Shangri La over the Sheraton any day.

The Hilton has a small but good club lounge and the suites are huge. The Shangri La in a Horizon club room or higher are spectacular.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:38 pm

Can anyone comment if most of the rooms are renovated or not at this point?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 4:17 am

My wife and I just left this week. Apparently they have just started renovations on the first of the two halves. The rooms are extremely outdated, definitely not at all what I was expecting given the renovation dates that were advertised. The hotel seems to have the bones to be good, but we were very disappointed in the room. The pools were nice but need to be resurfaced and they need to redo the surrounding equipment (umbrellas, chairs). Beach access was great. I don't think I have ever openly complained about a hotel, but I would stay away from this place until the renovations are done... They are literally using a bobcat to tear up a bridge less than fifty yards away from where you are relaxing (if you can relax after the decades old pea gravel tears into your feet). Staff was nice and generally helpful (and apologetic for the state of the "resort")

Last edited by fragment54; Dec 3, 2015 at 4:36 am
Old Dec 3, 2015, 4:20 am

Port Douglas is pretty great (try hi tide restaurant if you go), just the Sheraton really sucks bad.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by anchor79
Can anyone comment if most of the rooms are renovated or not at this point?
The last dated update was December 7, which stated that 100 of the 294 rooms had been completed, and another 50 were expected to be completed for a January holiday period. It's noted that the front desk, restaurant, etc., have all been moved, so it sounds like they're in the heart of the renovation.

It's claimed that everything will be complete by April (the original note still says May). I'm comfortable with my June stay, but the reports of noise/inconvenience during construction makes it look like a "stay away" for the next 3-4 months, IMHO.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Parking Information

Valet Parking and Self Parking 0-10 AUD per day
Can anyone help interpret this? I get to choose how much I want to pay?

Free self-park and $10/day for valet?

I'm adding up shuttle fees and thinking that a rental + parking may be cheaper.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:02 pm

I have just returned from SMPD one month ago. I would suggest self parking which is $0. Hotel valet where they bring your car to reception for you is $10 per day. The self parking bays are located in different locations around the resort. Once you have checked in it will actually be quicker to just walk to your parked car which will most likely be much closer to your room than the hotel lobby- where you would have to go should you choose the valet option. The main street of Port Douglas is not walking distance so a car would definately come in handy.. Given the 50 minute ride from Cairns airport and the distance of most tourist attractions- hiring a car is a no brainer- and self parking is the way to go.. From my understanding they have completed most renovated rooms on one side of the hotel- but the pool area and noise on that side is still a major issue.. I would reach out to the hotel and ask them to assign you one of the "mock up" lagoon view rooms on the unrenovated side of the hotel- thus avoiding the renovation issues but enjoying a renovated room in peace and quiet.. If you have any other questions feel free to ask... Have fun!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, that's what I figured. I think I've given up on the rental I had reserved in Sydney, and am figuring how to get one for the Ocean Road drive in Melbourne without the $50-80/night parking charge. But Cairns seems like it makes sense to keep, with the cost of 4 shuttles and free parking - an SUV for 6 days at $189 all-in seemed like a very good deal.

From tripadvisor reviews, those getting renovated rooms recently seem pretty positive. I'm not headed there until June, so everything should be wrapped up (supposedly by April) and the kinks ironed out, just in time.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Thanks, that's what I figured. I think I've given up on the rental I had reserved in Sydney, and am figuring how to get one for the Ocean Road drive in Melbourne without the $50-80/night parking charge. But Cairns seems like it makes sense to keep, with the cost of 4 shuttles and free parking - an SUV for 6 days at $189 all-in seemed like a very good deal.

From tripadvisor reviews, those getting renovated rooms recently seem pretty positive. I'm not headed there until June, so everything should be wrapped up (supposedly by April) and the kinks ironed out, just in time.
I'm in a 3rd floor renovated studio king suite in wing 5 now. Very nice. Lots of construction but not noisy. Ground floor rooms balconies have now stainless steel ladders into private pools. Very cute.
valet is 8 bucks. Was waived for me as plat bennie.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:46 am
D93

I want to get a suite, so I would book a regular room for 10k a night and apply a SNA to it and at the same time book a suite for 20k. If the SNA clears, I'll cancel the 20k room, if it doesn't clear, I'll cancel the 10k room.

Slight issue, cancelation deadline is 5 days prior to arrival, so my SNA won't clear by then..

What to do - use 20k for a suite or 10k and hope the SNA clears?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by D93
I want to get a suite, so I would book a regular room for 10k a night and apply a SNA to it and at the same time book a suite for 20k. If the SNA clears, I'll cancel the 20k room, if it doesn't clear, I'll cancel the 10k room.

Slight issue, cancelation deadline is 5 days prior to arrival, so my SNA won't clear by then..

What to do - use 20k for a suite or 10k and hope the SNA clears?
This hotel doesn't accept SNAs. It's also very stingy on upgrades to real (2 room) suites.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Medved
This hotel doesn't accept SNAs.
Source? I wasn't aware that properties could refuse them.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I wasn't aware that properties could refuse them.
I don't think it's a requirement. If they don't put any suites in the pool, you can't request them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.